JHS Kilt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, Jun 9, 2015.

1. TheRealDeal

TheRealDeal Supporting Member

2. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

I look forward to trying it.

3. Chugs

Chugs Member

[​IMG]

4. the_rising

the_rising Silver Supporting Member

Sounds great - tempted to pick one up.

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

... so adding low end to an Expandora mkII layout now means "100% designed, built and shipped from Kansas City USA"? Maybe. I dunno.

6. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

That's fair enough. I think there are a lot of classic pedals that have loads of room for improvement. I guess I am more put off by guys that claim to have reinvented the wheel with their designs when all they did was patch a tire.

your name here and Lux like this.
  7. slap_back05

slap_back05 Member

Exactly this!! I use a Superbolt and love it. I see a lot of people bitch that it's some stolen DIY circuit or something, but I don't have the time or experience to homebrew my own Supro box, so the value of JHS building and selling one is high.

I see this Kilt in a similar light, but am getting very turned off of representing his products everywhere I play if he is just flat out lying about designing circuits and then having no remorse...

People don't hate on JHS because they aren't innovative or don't sound really good. It's the ego or whatever that leads to this inflated sense of what's actually being done. Maybe they put on that face to justify the price? Though there is probably enough research and screwing around with components in all of his "tweaked" pedals to come close to justify $200 dirt pedals given the surrounding market.

If he would just stop saying he 100% designs everything... man that would be a huge step for a lot of people!

your name here likes this.
  8. 909one

909one Member

Every company uses older circuits as starting points at some point or another. The whole boutique industry is based off of this. Fender started by copying circuits, Marshall, Matchless, etc, etc, etc.. Whats the big deal here? People need to stop their bitching and appreciate the fact that we live in an era with all these amazing tools at our disposal.

RobertKeeley likes this.
  9. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Great questions. Many original parts in the circuit are not the same, it is not a 1 for 1 clone even though I think the EXP itself is cool. If not why would we bother using its legacy? Its a great circuit as it was! There is more changed than a bass boost, just to clarify. The Kilt has more gain on tap and bit of a different feel due to a totally different photo component, just a few examples. Upgraded means more than a single mod, we looked over this and made things better as we see fit and per Stu's requests.

Im sorry to hear this and I want to say Im sorry if I have ever come off to you that way. I guess in the nature of "these" forums people can be very pointed at attacking who you are and although that doesn't really bother me, it probably makes me state things a little cold sometimes. Not my intention to be a jerk or even arrogant. We say 100% because its the fact, we do it all ourselves here in Kansas City and have kept it in America. Honestly we are very proud of our work and I hope that is okay too you, I want to make things that Im passionate about and I want to be proud of our hard work. As for me saying 100% designed being an issue with you, Im sorry that that bothers you. I have always and always will let people know when something is inspired by another circuit. The Kilt is what it is, a tweaked Expandora and separate boost in one unit, this has been made overly clear. It is the result of about 14 months of prototyping, R&D, multiple revisions , thousands of dollars in expense and now a final product that is unique (meaning there is currently NO OTHER pedal in the world like it) and to me that is good enough to say we designed it. Another note is that I encourage you to look at my Emperor, Unicorn, ColourBox, Twin Twelve for example and find anything like them. There is nothing to have even cloned them from and that took hard work. Yes, my Moonshine is a TS derivative, my Morning Glory is a Bluesbreaker derivative etc BUT I have always said this openly as any other builder out there does. Im not going to NOT say that we design our work when we do, I am proud of what we have achieved in the last few years to separate ourselves from others in the industry. I hope that is at least respected as a choice, I don't want to irritator you with that fact but I think its only irritating if you don't look at what we actually do and not what some people assume we do. There are many of the newer designs that I personally don't think anyone could even clone due to the complex nature, design aspects and digital brain controls in involved. If that isn't an original product than I don't know what is? Overall PLEASE know I am sorry to have EVER come off like Im arrogant, I am the first to admit Im thankful for all of our supporters, fellow builder friends who have been so generous over the year and people like you who even give us a chance at being in your rig. Hope this helps.

skunx, jetydosa, chilimean and 8 others like this.
  10. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

That is one of the most honest responses I have seen in a while and I give JHS props for saying it. I just wish it started out that way...

I think a lot of people care about the history of these pedals. And, I also don't think anyone would argue that some credit should be given where credit is due. We know that circuits aren't something that can be copyrighted. So when a pedal is released that based on something else (like the Kilt and the Expandora), just a little shout out to the original design is a good thing, IMO. It allows people a chance to hear your pedal and investigate the history of these sounds. No harm in that, yeah? Everything in music develops over time. Its the same with the technology.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    lugnut111 and MilwMark like this.
  11. Empros

Empros Member

I'm missing something... How is it 100% designed by you if you used something else as a base???
    No issues with the 100% built and shipped part. But the 100% designed part is wrong. Just change it. It'll look so much better on you. It's nice that you admit which pedal was the foundation, and that's totally fine. But then you say 100% and that sounds like it's an original circuit.

12. TheRealDeal

:facepalm

Varc likes this.
  13. TheRealDeal

it is transparency like this that makes me support JHS and their company.

14. Empros

Empros Member

?? Was seriously looking for a response... There are a million boutique cloners/modifiers/etc. I have no problems with them. I don't even have a problem with JHS, really. But none of them claim to say 100% designed by them. The only pedals that say that are original circuit ones...

I read JHS' reply above and it's fine. But I still think the 100% thing is slightly misleading.

15. Stoei

Stoei Member

My demo of the Kilt:

16. jhspedals.com

I guess in this case there are only a handful of TOTALLY original pedal designs ever? A circuit that has zero inspiration, elements or knowledge gained from another circuit.. I would think it is literally a handful. If that is how you see this phrase I would also agree with that thought. I will take this comment and think on it. I can almost say I will change this statement IF you and most people see it that way, I have no problem with the language of it and changing it to be possibly less confusing. I want to be clear, concise and keep things accurate as much as you want that to be the case. Thank you.

iahawk36 likes this.
  17. jhspedals.com

Again, sorry and I take that as a constructive criticism.

18. Empros

Empros Member

I'm no designer so I don't know if there are only a handful of original circuits. But I think JHS is the only company I've seen claiming 100% designed...No one else says that (afaik).
    Again, I have zero issues with your company's pedals. Just saying that 100% designed to ME means original circuit. Just my two cents. I appreciate the reply.

19. jhspedals.com

Fair enough. 100% designed is our way of saying we do all the circuit design, mechanical work, layout, SMT production etc... Saying we don't outsource those elements. I think its a case of "different views" of the word but I see how you are right because that is your view and its logical.

iahawk36 likes this.
  20. guspc

guspc Supporting Member

Fastback Custom makes something very similar; the Slowfire Overdrive. With independent and selective pre or post Boost, 3 clipping diodes, bright/warm and a fat switch.
    I like the Kilt.