JHS Kilt

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TheRealDeal, Jun 9, 2015.

1. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the Kind words :) That Slowfire looks cool, from the gutshot it is a lot different than the Kilt, none the less it looks solid.

2. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

This is correct. He's had the guitar for about a year. It seems to be getting a lot of playing time from him. The neck and middle pickups are strat pups, the bridge is a single coil Jag pickup (Lollars all around).

PurpleJesus and Lux like this.
  3. NHBluesMan

NHBluesMan Member

this for me too. If a friend took a mustang and put a new engine in it and then claimed to have done 100% of the work and created something totally new i'd say he was crazy. I like the approach Josh seemed to take in the videos where it was 'hey, we started with an expandora and tweaked it from there' because that's honest about the process and it's origins. But saying 'it's 100% designed' by us is different for me. I see the perspective from JHS's end, but i think the wording is misleading

lugnut111 and PurpleJesus like this.
  4. earthmud

earthmud Supporting Member

All this talk of KC is making me want to go to Winsteads! If I order a pedal will you throw a triple cheeseburger and a side of rings in the box?

5. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

Using the Mustang example...is a Shelby just a Mustang? Most would say no I suppose, but the point could be argued ad unfinitum if you wanted to be a stickler. But I bet most would say that Shelby used a basic platform which the designer built upon to create something original. If JHS (and many more builders before them) takes a basic circuit and tweaks values, designs a new board layout, designs new functionality into the old platform and otherwise allows players to express themselves in ways the old platform may not be able to do, then I'd say he created/designed something original

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  6. jhspedals.com

Deal. And a Chocolate Malt. :)

iahawk36 likes this.
  7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

I disagree. Shelby made exceptional Mustangs. And the average person would probably see a Shelby and think its just a souped up Ford.

"Hey. Look at that old Mustang."
    "That's not a Mustang - Its a Shelby."
    "Oh, cool... What's that mean?"
    "You take a Mustang and make it the greatest muscle car in the world by tweaking the crap out of it."
    "Oh, so its like a high performance Mustang."
    "No, its like a Shelby."
    "But its a Mustang, right?"

lugnut111 likes this.
  8. Dr Slapstick

Dr Slapstick Member

Saying you did 100% of the design is disingenuous - all the design YOU did was done in the US, you didn't outsource it, etc, but that just means YOUR part of the design was 100% internal. That doesn't mean 100% of the design in total was done by you.

I agree that that means very few pedals are completely original. Maybe even a handful by your estimation. That doesn't mean we should ignore the distinction because "very few" would qualify. Just don't claim 100% design when you also acknowledge the origin of 80%+ (or 30%+, whatever it is) of the pedal design/circuitry as not your own.

For the record, I like JHS pedals - I have many friends who own them and have a relationship with them. I just don't like this obsession with design origins and it's a battle of your own making.

9. CBeeper

CBeeper Supporting Member

You disagree to agree me thinks... Aren't you saying the Shelby isn't just a Mustang? That's what I'm saying in this post.

Basic platform Mustang/excellent design work and original thinking/ Shelby
    Basic platform Expandoria/excellent design work and original thinking/Kilt

10. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

No, I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. A Shelby is a Mustang. Its been taken to the limits of what a Mustang can be, but its a Mustang. And an awesome one that deserves all the accolades that go with it (including the price tag). But to say its not a Mustang at its core denies all of the hard work and innovation that Ford did as well.

roquero likes this.
  11. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member

Starting this off by saying I have no stake in this and am merely posting my impressions of this and damn near every other JHS thread....

I don't understand why JHS puts itself through this every time. If you're basing it off another pedal, that's cool, just say it like Analogman says clear as day that the King of Tone is based on a Marshall Bluesbreaker, or a Sunface on a Fuzz Face. No one EVER gives them crap about it b/c Mike straight up says it. And when you start saying 100% your design you're just feeding into the impression, fair or not, (that's already there) that you haven't always been honest about your pedal designs. Before in this thread you said that the Unicorn was an original....it's a univibe. Is it 100% original b/c you put a sub-division control on it? Fine, but it's still a univibe clone and those things have been around since the 1960s.

And, there are plenty of folks out there that design 100% original circuits. Spaceman, Moog, and Chase Bliss immediately come to mind. It is possible to do things in new ways, and it's also fine to use a platform like the EXP and build on it, but just say so and don't claim it to be 100% original when you're starting the build based off something that already exists. That makes it inherently not 100% yours, no?

.....and then we get 20 pages of "You said this JHS!!!" "Naw, uh....I meant this".......why deal with it at all? If you know it's going to come (and it is) just say, "Hey, we heavily modified an EXP, it's awesome, and we're really proud of it, and made here in the USA!"

mkr1, jdel77, Stratofreak and 9 others like this.
  12. jhspedals.com

Good feedback, thanks. Once again I think it is wording... On the Unicorn I was stating that there was nothing like the Unicorn and that it was a first in its full design, I have always clearly stated inspiration on my designs as you say. The Unicorn has "UNI" in its name, it has it clearly in the copy. The Kilt has an entire video about the origins etc. I just want to make sure you know that, I have always said if a pedal was based on something and even do comparison videos to help that angle. I genuinely appreciate the feedback.

13. 909one

909one Member

I really don't understand why any of you guys have beef about any of this stuff, its such a waste of time. The majority of new boutique style pedals out there are based on other circuits. I watched the JHS promo video for this pedal and there's nothing misleading at all about it. In this day and age, its kind of understood that if you are pedal builder that you are going to be using an existing circuit as your launching point. JHS, You guys do great stuff, keep up the great work!

Slevin and neosoulchild like this.
  14. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I think peeps main issue is the wording.. like, who really makes completely original pedals? They're all based off of something, otherwise nobody would want them. I really dig JHS, and don't care about the 100 percent claims because they tell you exactly what the pedal is based on.. it's really a non issue, hate just for hate imo, but that 100 percent designed part is a bit disingenuous.

15. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Well, there are enough of us that do care... to point that JHS has even responded that they will be more transparent in the future.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

Maybe you can see how these two statements seem at odds with one another? And why the latter might be a real issue for some?

17. neosoulchild

neosoulchild Member

I'm just wondering who makes these completely original pedals.. they are all based on something. I can see why people are upset, he describes them as completely original, but then he also tells you what circuit the pedal is based on.

18. frankenstone

frankenstone Silver Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better. I love my JHS Angry Charlie and I think Josh does fine work. But there's just no need to claim things as "100% original." If they sound good, customers will come. What are you gaining by making an unnecessary claim that is confusing at best and misleading at worst?

Slevin likes this.
  19. jhspedals.com

That means a lot man, thank you. To be fair I say 100% designed, not original. As I said, I have always said if my circuit is based on things. Thanks for your post.

Slevin likes this.
  20. lugnut111

lugnut111 Member

That video was great on your part, and if that would have been presented first, I don't think we would be having this discussion.

I think when the average Joe (or below average, in my case) hears that, they take it as a claim of a 100% original design.

I have to thank you for stepping up to the plate on this & clearing things up...I look forward to checking out your pedals at Sweetwater's Gearfest this weekend.:aok

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015