1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

JHS Legends Fuzz - no room for battery

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fendrix, May 31, 2020.

1. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

Hi All,

has anyone tried to fit a 9v battery in the new JHS fuzz?

i just got a Crimson and if I install a battery inside the backplate, which by the way sits crooked, it won’t close. I’ve already dented a Fresh 9v battery while trying, there is just not enough room for a battery and looks like a design flaw.

There is a very dense and thick layer of foam at the front of the pedal which won’t compress enough to make room
    For the battery. On the middle area there is much more room but still not enough and when looking from
    The side you can see a portion of the battery protruding.

Is it just my pedal? Where are you guys placing the battery?

thanks in advance

2. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Member

Some batteries are bigger than others, I have a pedal or two where it can get tight.

3. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

thanks,

If I’m not wrong, 9v batteries have a standard size?

the thing is if I lay it over the board it won’t close at all. Over the foam, and due of the triangle shape of the pedal, the battery will be pushed forward and put too much pressure on the edge of the board.

i wonder wether that foam is there for us to remove in order to make room for a battery?

4. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

SubApathy and Fendrix like this.
  5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk Member

You would think so, but some are definitely bigger than others.
    You may have to take some foam out too, depending on how much is in there. Can you post a pic?

6. korgi

korgi Member

i think the square batteries ehx make are a bit smaller too

Fendrix likes this.
  7. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

Oh I didn’t know that thanks, yea I’m actually using a duracell. However if the compartment cannot fit a duracell IMHO the design is flawed .

Abram4235 and Nacho8807 like this.
  8. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

I added a link to the battery I was referring to.

Seems like a bit of an oversight though on JHS' end, haha.

Abram4235 and Fendrix like this.
  9. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

Sure, I'm working on it right now

10. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

haha they said " and for the first time a JHS pedal can be powered by a battery" :rolleyes:

I guess we'll have to wait for v2 to also be able to close the pedal

mittw, Abram4235, ruger9 and 2 others like this.
  11. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

I could remove the foam and it will fit but I don't know wether the foam is there to hold the board.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Abram4235 likes this.
  12. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  13. Fendrix

Fendrix Member

I posted several pics!

14. The Captain

The Captain Member

Have you tried contacting JHS instead of whinging on a forum? I mean, radical idea I know, but maybe, just maybe, you could give it a go ??
    Chances are they will see this thread and chime in, but c'mon, give it a go :)

15. hippieboy

hippieboy Member

16. lcfparty35

lcfparty35 Member

That's what she said.

17. Amp_Addicted

Amp_Addicted Member

Sorry to be a downer, but those seem pretty expensive for being so shoddily conceived. Even though he has tried to push that you can use a battery with this series of pedals, I bet they work better with a power supply anyways. Before lecturing me about fuzz pedals & batteries, I am a fuzz first guy and generally use batteries with my fuzz pedals. I also know you could buy a better fuzz pedal for less cash. I bought a used Homebrew Electronics UFO a couple weeks ago for a bit under $100. I also got a used EH Sovtek Deluxe Big Muff for $95(with box & power supply). Both are better built & can easily fit a battery without issue.

I like that JHS guy's YouTube videos, but the innards of his pedals look like a joke(sort of like a guy who got interested in pedals by modding them who now makes pedals that aren't so easily modified). Hell I got a Companion FY-2 fuzz for less this year. That's the genuine article from the early 70's: why bother buying this machine made stuff when you can still score real vintage fuzz pedals for less? You might need to learn what to look for(like the 2 dozen brand names that Shin-Ei built pedals for), but real genuine fuzz weaponry from the days of yore is still available.

Because it's pretty obvious from the photos that a standard 9V battery doesn't fit very easily into the so called battery compartment. I suppose one could take out the foam, but it still looks like a pretty bad conception on the JHS end to placate the fuzz pedal aficionado's want of a battery. Otherwise, there would have been more clearance to allow for a battery. I also don't like the idea of battery flopping around, so you have to wonder about their conception in the first place. It really shouldn't be an issue if the JHS QC had been more on top of it and seen how easy it was to put batteries in these pedals. Why bother asking them about solutions? Are they going to somehow redesign the 9V battery form to conform their pedal? I haven't bought a JHS pedal & probably won't now. That thing looks like a $180 toy.

Davin Kuntze, guff, macmax77 and 13 others like this.
  18. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Good lord dude. Maybe, just maybe, OP figured that maybe someone in the TGP hivemind had one of these pedals already and might get a response quicker than waiting for JHS customer support on a Sunday evening?

And anyway... isn't this what a gear forum is for?

ekkybedmond, moidan, guff and 43 others like this.
  19. The Captain

The Captain Member

What, to complain about manufacturers rather than to contact them for problem solving ?
    Yeah, seems like it.

20. 0010 0001 0011 1111 1110

0010 0001 0011 1111 1110 Member

Nowhere in the ops opening statement did I see them complain about the manufacturer. Can you point put where you read this?
    Seems like they're just interested in knowing if others are having the same battery fit issue. :confused: