1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

JHS little black buffer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benderman, May 17, 2011.

1. benderman

benderman Member

I just put one of these on my board a while back and I noticed that it did something to the top end of my tone I really did'nt care for at all so I took it off my board.Antone else using this buffer and have you experienced the same problem?Thanks for your help:bitch

2. benderman

benderman Member

Woops sorry meant Anyone lol

3. benderman

benderman Member

4. benderman

benderman Member

One last and final bump for anyone using this buffer thanks again :)

5. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

I use a Lovepedal mini line driver (buffer) and it adds or restores the highs that get lost with long cable runs and true bypass pedals. What did it add to your tone that you didn't like? Where in your pedal chain do you have it placed? This makes a big difference in how it effects your tone, I keep mine first in line right after the guitar, some TGP-ers put them last in line, some use two and put one in the front and one at the end of their chain....expiriment and see what happens?

6. AdamLee

AdamLee Member

I have Josh's buffers on all my boards. No problems at all...

7. chervokas

chervokas Member

I have no experience w/ that particular buffer, but you should understand what a buffer does. A buffer is a unity gain amplifier circuit that is set up not to amplify but to convert signal impedance. In a guitar signal chain we use them to manage issues of impedance loading by devices like hardwire bypass pedals and issues that arise from the capacitance loading by the cable.

To understand how and why they change the high frequency response of the guitar you have to understand how an electric guitar works. The inductance of the pickups, resistance of the pots, and capacitance of the cable form an harmonic oscillator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RLC_circuit) which has a peak at a certain frequency (above the guitar's fundamental frequencies but in the "presence" range of the guitar's upper harmonics) and a steep roll off of frequencies above that peak.

With buffers, in esssence what we're doing is tuning that resonance. For example, when you have more cable capacitance--say, by virtue of a longer run of cable thanks to a long chain of true bypass pedals all switched off--you lower the resonant frequency generally leading to warmer mid focused sound. If you effectively shorten the signal chain length by placing a buffer in front of the pedal board (elimintaing the capacitance loading of all the cable following the buffer) you will lessen the capacitance loading the guitar, raising the resonant frequency, and leading to brighter more open sound.

Although there are a bunch of different buffer circuits commonly found in guitar buffers, the principal factor that affects guitar tone with a buffer is the input impedance of the buffer. The higher the input impedance the higher the amplitude of the resonant peak, the lower the input impedance the lower the amplitude of the resonant peak. So, you're not tuning the frequency but it's like cranking up or down the volume on a treble notch on a parametric eq.

I don't know what the input impedance of the JHS is but a typical amp input impedance is 1 M ohm. If you want your buffered sound to match your direct-in tone its best to use a buffer with an input impedance that matches the input impedance of your amp. If you use a buffer with a 5M ohm or 10M ohm input impedance, chances are that your tone will be brighter than "normal" if normal=your direct in to the amp tone.

8. benderman

benderman Member

Thanks for all the great feedback guys,I did use it first in line on my board and was'nt that carzy about it.I am using and have been using an Ernie Ball jr volume pedal on my board for a while now and it does rob some of the top end on my board should I try using it before the volume pedal and see what kind of results I get?Here is my signal chain on my board,Peterson Stompclassic Tuner>Wampler Ego Comp>Wampler Hot Wired OD>Wampler Paisley Drive>Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal>Retrosonic Chorus>Wampler Analog Echo>TC Electronics Flashback Delay> to RI Twin.Thanks for all your advice guys it is much appreciated :)

9. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

I use the Valvulator. Expensive, but sounds terrific.

10. chervokas

chervokas Member

The valvulator is a little different--a tube preamp gain stage stepped down to unity gain followed by a cathode follower tube buffer as I'm given to understand. It's a nifty idea designed to combat the loss of amp "feel" that can result from buffers sometimes.

11. benderman

benderman Member

Any more feedback?? Thanks again :)

12. d.rhoads

d.rhoads Member

I honestly have no idea how it works. But it sounds great! :) Thanks for the info. Boy, do I need to learn more about all the technical stuff.

13. phishead5941

phishead5941 Member

Yes, I had the same experience. It removes some of the sparkle and airiness in the highs and it makes them sound synthetic. I'm using the buffer on my Boss DD5 and I like it better. Also, the buffer on my HOF sounds better to my ears also. I had my buddy listen to it and he didn't like the JHS buffer, either.

14. benderman

benderman Member

Phishead5941 thanks for the feedback bro I did'nt think I was goin' deaf lol!!

15. Cosmogang

Cosmogang Member

I am sure Jhs buffers are fine, as all their products are pretty nice, but the buffer is WAY WAY overpriced. I think most of his pedals are too pricey though.
    For something like $35 you can get a this1smyne buffer and I can ASSURE you it will arrive sooner and it will probably sound exactly the same, if not better.

Just my 2 cents

16. benderman

benderman Member

As always you RAWK my friends thanks for all the great feedback!!