Jhs Moonshine vs Bondi Sick As

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Christian Rosado, May 7, 2016.

1. Christian Rosado

Christian Rosado Member

Hi! I own a Bondi Sick As which I love, to me sounds fantastic but I would like to know which one do you prefer between the Jhs Moonshine and the Sick As. Are they similar in sounds? Which one is more versatile? Which one sounds better in your opinion? Thanks in advance :)

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  2. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Moonshine is a TS variant, Sick As is a Klon variant. The Moonshine will have a more pronounced mid-hump I assume

Christian Rosado likes this.
  3. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

The Sick As that I owned had a pronounced upper mid emphasis that I found to be too much.

More tradional Klones have more of a low mid bump but these days there are so many variants that where that bump is frequency-wise and how pronounced it is (if it exists at all) varies.

-bEn r.

Flatscan and Christian Rosado like this.
  4. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Even with the mid-hump (whether hi or low mids) I find the Sick As to be more 'amp like' compared to a more classic more compressed TS variant

5. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, me too.

I haven't tried the Moonshine but I tend to prefer the breakup and EQ of a good Klone over that of a TS.

However, using a TS primarily as a fairly clean EQ enhancer can be great in a busy band mix. Putting a cleanish TS after a fuzz pedal can yield surprisingly good results too.

-bEn r.

6. Silenceborn

Silenceborn Member

Bondi Sick As is up there in my top 3 best OD units I have ever tried. I love JHS stuff and I love couple of their products (AT, AC, Emperor, etc...) but Sick As for a low/mid OD is just unbeatable. The toggle switch for open/compressed is very handy as well when matching with different amps/setups. Sick As is also perfect for stacking with other OD pedals.

7. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

I tried the Moonshine - what a wonderful pedal. However, be warned - saying that it's a TS variant is a little misleading. In my experience, while it is undoubtedly based loosely off a TS, it's a real fire breathing pedal. Lots of balls and overdrive. Not the smooth, low gain TS experience at all IMO.

8. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

The Moonshine was way too much for me. I sold it quickly. I can appreciate that some would love it though.

9. Christian Rosado

Christian Rosado Member

Hi! In what sense it was too much for you? Thanks in advance!

10. Zeliadan

Zeliadan Member

I second what johnh said. Big cojon├Ęs. I borrowed one and loved it. After some experimentation with my Riot, it got very very close to the moonshine by dialing it down. I ended up not buying one for that reason.

The Klone that I have sounded nothing like the moonshine. If that helps any.

11. Flatscan

Flatscan Supporting Member

@Christian Rosado the gain was super boomy. It was way over the top through my rigs.

I am a huge fan of Klon/Kl*nes. I use them more for semi-transparent boosts than anything else.

I've owned many (and still do). For many amps, a Soul Food or JHS-modded Soul Food works beautifully for this application. You don't need to spend a lot of money here.

12. Christian Rosado

Christian Rosado Member

Hi! This past monday I received the JHS Moonshine and here is my thought. To me the Moonshine is very similar to the JHS TS808 that I had in my Sweet Tea and the difference is that the Moonshine has more gain and more low end. Between the Moonshine and the Sick As a prefer by far the sound of the Sick As, because it's more clear and defined also has enough body without being boomy.