1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

JHS @+ Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by The Axecutioner, Jan 25, 2018.

1. The Axecutioner

The Axecutioner Member

2. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

So...is the boost a BB style? Honestly the Angry Driver seemed like the Andy Timmons pedal

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I'm more interested in WHAT PICKUP ANDY NOW HAS in THE MIDDLE instead of the Cruiser bridge he's be using for many years....

(he also recently had a coil tap added to the AT-1...)

5. oansun

oansun Supporting Member

6. dbagchee

dbagchee Supporting Member

Wow really digging this. Having the boost is super handy in such a compact pedal too. Might replace my Friedman BE-OD...

7. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

This could have been a cool opportunity for them to use the “Red Remote” for the boost.

I have a POT with a Bad Bob in it that operates via remote. It’s much easier during a gig to hit the remote than switches that are so close together.

8. steve_man

steve_man Member

sounds really good

9. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

This looks awesome! I want one.

10. willyboy

willyboy Member

Really dig my @ pedal and it's been my main OD for the couple years I've owned it now. I could be persuaded to upgrade to this new version, just having the flexibility of the added boost and no extra real estate is a real bonus

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I like the idea of "a little extra clarity on the neck pickup for leads" Andy mentions, but I don't hear it in the video.

Maybe you have to be in the room. (BTW, love my AT)

12. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

Yeah; I sold my original AT pedal and have missed it ever since!
    I did not need to see this; but I did, and so now I want it.

JHS is making a serious play to ruin my bank account with these small enclosure two button pedals! Not to mention the Bonsai! There is no reason to want a 9 way tube screamer... yet I do..Pedal marketing. Totally works. ;)

The new two button Panther Cub has my interest as well!

13. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

So; I got one.. My current impression as of this morning is F&!#! Yeah!

However; My first impression with it was not so good. I powered it at 9v; and it didn't sound the way I was remembering the old AT that I sold a while back.

And I was distracted by what seemed to be an issue with the boost light.. Switch would toggle effect on and off but the light would not always switch off when it was supposed to. I was bummed and confused.

Next day I tried it at 18v; and that I love. Like a whole other pedal in there.

The difference between 9v and 18v was most dramatic in the 100w center toggle position. More volume; altered gain range.

Made the 50w setting a bit "better" sounding to my ears, maybe also altered gain range slightly.

I was doing A/B with this and a Dirty Shirley pedal. At 9v, the DS wins by a wide margin; even with only one button vs two!

At 18v; the JHS brings a bigger range of easily accessible lower gain range.

The DS has an internal gain range dial; at stock with top side dial far CCW it's still got a fair bit of gainy crunchy sizzle. Back off volume; cleans up.

The JHS needs to be set to whichever wattage setting you will use; the overal volume range between the 25w and 100w setting is huge; even more so at 18v.

But at 18v, the lower gain range of the 50w and 100w settings are quite nice; it gets dirty faster at 9v.

Anyway; working on a multi board rig now; so will see about working both of these pedals in. Between the two, if I had to choose only one to run at 18v; would be the JHS since it benefits more.

The DS already sounds so killer; 18v doesn't make as much of a difference; though it's there and I like it better at 18v. Same for OCD; better at 18v..

Cheers!

14. Kriig

Kriig Member

Has anyone else got one? How do people like them?

15. tonedover

tonedover Silver Supporting Member

16. Philhouse

Philhouse Member

It cops the Tube Driver tone pretty well for me, I've A/B'd them on my board and can get them close enough for rock'n roll, plus with the 'Wattage' switch its more versatile than using just a TD. The TD does one main sound, which is great fun, but the AT does that and more.
    The boost function is nice in conjunction with the AT on, or just as a separate boost function. Its a mid hump-ish type boost. Not sure if its the pedal design idea of the boost side + the AT side, but it feels like his TD tone with his TS to hit the front for more saturation and sustain that he used, except in one pedal rather than two old ones. He also used his TS to hit the lead channels of his Lone Star and Stilletto's for that extra push, you could do the same with just the boost side of the AT+

YMMV, just my take on it.

ruger9 likes this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I've never owned a Tube Driver (I have bought other pedals that supposedly are like it, The Dover Drive, MXR FET Drive, etc etc)... but I have loved Eric Johnson's lead tone since he started. The first time I heard Andy Timmons, my first thought was "this guy is obviously (tonally) inspired by Eric Johnson's lead tone, but it's even BETTER."

So I totally get, and agree with, where you are coming from.... the JHS AT is more like a Marshall+TD tho, as opposed to just a TD. EJ runs the TD into a dirty amp. The JHS is so dirty already, it doesn't work well that way, and needs to be run into a clean channel... which for me, someone who gets most of their dirt from the amp, makes it kind of tough to use sometimes.... even AT himself runs it into a clean channel. I just don't usually have my amps set up that way.. even my clean channel has some hair on it, so regular ODs work better. But none of them can do the TD/AT sound.... I'm going to work with it some more, because I really want to get that tone again, it's a favorite.

Still might buy a TD someday, just for it's one trick: get that thick, middy, gainy, with a mellow-but-clear high end, sound running into a dirty amp.

Philhouse likes this.
  18. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Supporting Member

The Boost seems to make this + version a great value. When both are on, is the Boost before or after the distortion in the chain?

19. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

It’s pre-gain.

I got to play one last night for a good bit. A buddy has one & we filmed a little comparison between his AT+ & my Dirty Shirley pedal.

My 4 legged fuzzy lady friend Sasha (80lb rotty / basset mix) barked outside the room through 1/2 of it so we’re gonna re-shoot it.

My quick take away was that I liked the AT+ a whole lot for lower to mid gain & the Dirty Shirley for mid gain & up.

The boost on the AT+ by itself was nice too. It gave a sweet low gain chime when used on it’s own. We were able to dial in both pedals to sound really close to each other at mid gain with the exception of the DS having fuller low mids.

I was using my main Tele (home brew partscaster w/ Mojotone Quiet Coil neck & Dimarzio Chopper T bridge PUs. My friend played his PRS (Custom 24 I think)

We used the clean channel of a Traynor YSC50 which is in the Fender ball park.