• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

JHS Pedals - is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond Lin

They do have some original ideas like the Colour Box but also clones of others to put it mildly.

That said, most manufacturer make plenty of clones, the entire pedal industry is mostly a clone or inspired pedals of each other back and forth.

Agitator

Never played any of their pedals but they definitely have a ton of mods, and a lot of them seem a little less-than-essential to me.

tedm

Interesting, I thought the color box was a mod on the EHX Crayon? I'll check out this color box.

I have a Fulltone '69 big box, and while I'm aware this brand has it's share of detractors, I've found few folks who say there is anything just like it, some like other Fuzz faces as much ore more, like the AnalogMan SunFace (which I haven't played, but heard awesome things about it), but it doesn't have the 4 knobs + internal trimmer of the Fulltone, and also, it uses "matched" trannies, while the '69 definitively uses mis-matched trannies for its sound?

They do have some original ideas like the Colour Box but also clones of others to put it mildly.

That said, most manufacturer make plenty of clones, the entire pedal industry is mostly a clone or inspired pedals of each other back and forth.

Anacharsis

They don't do it for me, either. I think it's just a matter of taste, but it can be difficult to convince the intense fans (or detractors) of any given manufacturer of that reality.

But I think the false equivalence is toxic. There are some very original builders out there (I certainly dig my Amptweaker boxes), and they shouldn't be lumped in with the undisclosed cloners.

Raymond Lin

Interesting, I thought the color box was a mod on the EHX Crayon? I'll check out this color box.

I have a Fulltone '69 big box, and while I'm aware this brand has it's share of detractors, I've found few folks who say there is anything just like it, some like other Fuzz faces as much ore more, like the AnalogMan SunFace (which I haven't played, but heard awesome things about it), but it doesn't have the 4 knobs + internal trimmer of the Fulltone, and also, it uses "matched" trannies, while the '69 definitively uses mis-matched trannies for its sound?
The Colourbox came out in May 2014.

The EHX Crayon came out almost year and a half later in November 2015.

Mr2D

There's something about them I don't like that I can't put my finger on. I don't like the designs - I think they look like 90s clip art, in a bad way, but the same could be said for a fair few pedals I've had - I don't like the way the Pigtronix infinity looks, but one is on its way to me. But they mostly feel, dull or vanilla to me, in a way that even industry standards like Boss (who I love) don't.

The possible associations with groups that have very different views to my own doesn't help either, but I've seen no solid proof, and I still shop with Amazon, who's tax/employment/employee welfare practices I completely disagree with, with firm foundation.

The only one I've had any really interest in is the colour box, but it's cost prohibitive to have a play with when I'm unsure if I'll gel with it.

tedm

Nope, have wanted to like and buy a couple JHS models, but after evaluating them, can't find sonic differences between what I have.

That said, got any suggestions for someone who's played thousands of pedals?

I so much wanted a bunch of their pedals, probably spend hours trying to hear differences between an EHX soul face and JHS modded S

Never played any of their pedals but they definitely have a ton of mods, and a lot of them seem a little less-than-essential to me.
does the op want to sic the dogs on JHS for some reason?
spill it

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
The Colour Box is a copy of a 60s mixer preamp in a pedal and a fairly innovative idea (so much so that the concept has been expanded on by API and others). It's also likely that it was designed by JHS engineer not Josh, but still, it deserves respect. They were also the first pedal company to come out with a copy of the digitally controlled analog delay with tap tempo, ala the DMTT. Most of the rest of their stuff has a fairly strong "me too" element, but then so does a lot of other companies basic offerings. Still they are on the list of companies that make me uncomfortable and from whom I'm not likely to buy any pedals any time soon.

tedm

Thanks for the details on the Color Box. It's definitely not what I was thinking, a clone of the Crayon. Sounds interesting.

The Colour Box is a copy of a 60s mixer preamp in a pedal and a fairly innovative idea (so much so that the concept has been expanded on by API and others). It's also likely that it was designed by JHS engineer not Josh, but still, it deserves respect. They were also the first pedal company to come out with a copy of the digitally controlled analog delay with tap tempo, ala the DMTT. Most of the rest of their stuff has a fairly strong "me too" element, but then so does a lot of other companies basic offerings. Still they are on the list of companies that make me uncomfortable and from whom I'm not likely to buy any pedals any time soon.

misa

Silver Supporting Member
Plenty of other manufacturers produce clones, but I think the main beef with JHS was that they would claim to have done a bunch of R&D and originality in their circuits only to be discovered that they were based on common or publicly published effects.

It seems they may be trying to move away from that, but the damage is done in the opinion of many.

Blooby

I shelled out for the Andy Timmons MIAB, and I'm loving it. I live more in a Fendery world, though, so the pedal is a treat and a half for me.

I am trying to sort our fuzzes right now, so I imagine I'll get a Muffuletta at some point soon. I'm hearing they did something unique with that circuit (or combination of circuits), no?

I don'y deny that there are other pedals that will get you here, but you got to admit there are some nice tones in there.

Blooby

I love the Morning Glory and Superbolt. Also the pulp n peel. These are keepers for me. Innovative? Not really. Sound great? To me, yup. I like how they look too.

I have and use the @, the Panther Cub and the Penguin, but not totally in love with either.

radcliff

I don't know how constructive a thread with this title could ever hope to be.

The Colour Box is an outstanding pedal. If your company makes even one pedal as special as that, what more do you need?

Any pedal company with a LARGE line of pedals is bound to have a few that seem redundant or typical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics