JHS Pulp N Peel V4 as a Recording DI?

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Big in Japan, May 21, 2020.

1. Big in Japan

Big in Japan Supporting Member

Full disclosure: I'm a guitar player recording rudimentary bass parts on my song demos (I know, I know).

Is anybody using the JHS Pulp N Peel V4 as a DI for recording a passive bass? If so, how is (or isn't) it working out for you? I'm looking for some simple outboard recording tools. The Pulp N Peel looks like it could be useful for bass (and maybe other instruments too). Is it worth a closer look?

I'm open to other options too. The Pulp N Peel caught my attention first; so I thought I'd start there. Thanks.
    [​IMG]

2. electricity17

electricity17 Member

I’m using a tube preamp from Arkham Sound. I’ve got an older model but take a look at the Oracle.
    http://www.arkhamsound.com/

I’ve also used an Aguilar Tone Hammer pedal which works well. Lots of options from Sansamp including the VT Bass, one of those models has an XLR out.

I haven’t used much from JHS. Pulp N Peel should work but I’d probably want more control over the compression than just having one knob. Their Colour Box looks more interesting to me as a recording tool, but again haven’t tried it.

Big in Japan likes this.
  3. pale fire

pale fire Supporting Member

I had one of the earlier versions (hand painted) and it was the only compressor that worked for me as it didn’t squash the sound much. Having said that , for recording bass d i I would highly recommend the sans amp bass driver. I had the pedal version. Now have the rack version for home recording - it is great

Big in Japan likes this.
  4. MartinCliffe

MartinCliffe Member

It should work fine, you might just need to tweak it in the mix if you're not satisfied with the tone. I tend to mostly record with an MXR M81 Bass Preamp which I find works very well. Occasionally with a compressor in front of it.

Big in Japan likes this.