1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

JHS Pulp-n-Peel

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JakeIsLiving, May 17, 2011.

1. JakeIsLiving

JakeIsLiving Member

I got my Pulp-n-Peel about a month ago. With finals and everything else going on at college, I haven't had time to mess with it up until a few days ago. I was getting tones ready for Sunday morning, and I realized that the pedal sucks out every ounce of bass in my signal. When I bought the pedal, I didn't realize how much it colors the tone. Has anyone else had this problem?

Also, I'm on the market for another compressor. I'm thinking about taking the Diamond Comp route. Any other suggestions?

2. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Well it's an Orange Squeezer derivative so... I don't know what you were expecting... If you want a more natural compression (rather than an effect) check out Diamond.

3. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

The Mad Professor cb Forest Green Comp is excellent sounding, small and versatile. PGS does a good demo.

4. velorush

velorush Member

Doesn't the PnP have a blend knob to blend in the unaffected signal? Is the signal still thin if you dial it at 100% unaffected? Seems odd. I'd give the guys at JHS a call (or email). They seem really interested in customer satisfaction.

5. JakeIsLiving

JakeIsLiving Member

With 100% unaffected signal, the signal is still very thin.

6. velorush

velorush Member

Sumpthin's up with that. Have you tried it by itself (guitar > PnP > amp)? to see if maybe it doesn't like one of your other pedals? Short of that, I'd give JHS a call.

7. Zriley

Zriley Member

same problem here. I actually sent it back once for repair, they said nothing was wrong with it. when i got it back it still did the same thing, so i talked to Josh (the owner), even sent him a clip and he said it sounded like the clean blend circuit was damaged and to send it back again. sent it back again and they still say theres nothing wrong with it.

when i get it back im going to try to sell it and buy an analogman mini bi-comp

8. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

+1 Diamond. I started (and ended) my comp search with this pedal.

9. theGhost

theGhost Member

I've only ever had/used/tried one compressor. I don't know much about them, but the Wampler Ego Comp does a good enough job that I've never had the desire to look for anything else.

10. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Exactly my experience, too. Big thumbs up for the Wampler, but it is more 'Ross' than 'Squeezer'.

11. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I have an original Orange Squeezer-definitely not thin sounding...

12. theGhost

theGhost Member

Of that I would have absolutely no idea, so if you say so :bonk

Though, I will say that Ego Comp can really squish your notes, too, if you crank the blend knob. I pretty much never do that (except every once in a while for novelty), but it's certainly capable.

13. shayneallen

shayneallen Supporting Member

I certainly wouldn't expect an orange squeezer... or derivative... to rob all the bass from my tone. :confused:

Analogman juicer is an orange squeezer derivative and it's obscenely great... anything but thin.

14. daytonswords

daytonswords Member

im really glad you posted this. i've got the chance to trade my keeley 2knob for a pulp n peel. i haven't tried it yet but this is the first negative review i've read on it, very helpful.

15. dk352

dk352 Member

I have had the same problem..
    The Comp sucks all low end and body from my tone even when Blend & Compression are completely off!
    JHS are sorting this for me now and i hope they can sort...
    You do want a comp that can 'squash' if needed but not suck all the body from your original tone!

16. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Hey guys,

The Pulp N Peel does not remove low end like is being stated by design. We have made thousands of them and it is proven through reviews and customer experience. I am very sorry that some of you are having a bad experience with it, please contact us at repairs@jhspedals.com so we can receive the unit in and inspect it fully.