JHS Pulp'n'Peel vs. Durham Sexdrive vs. Visual Sound Comp66

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dompax, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Dompax

Dompax Member

In need a pedal that is capable of:
    1. being a great buffer when bypassed,
    2. making a nice, warm compression for cleans to stand out and
    3. having an option to act like a transparent clean boost.
    Which pedal from the title is the best one for this?
    Thanks!

2. 12StringStrat

12StringStrat Member

Not sure about the JHS but the Durham fits most of your criteria

1. Great buffer that I've had no problems with.
    2. The compression is as they describe it. More of a feeling in the hands of the player rather than sounding like a compressor - more of a full sound. But it will make it stand out. Mine is set to soft compressor and only a mild boost. When I kick it in with a band I'm clear over top of them.
    3. Does this in spades.

3. ethompson

ethompson Member

I'd look into the Strymon OB.1 It does all those things and is the the same or less then the pulp n peel price wise. I just got one a few weeks ago and I love it! by far the best compressor/clean boost I've used super transparent. I have a friend that has a Pulp N Peel and it does sound good as a compressor but the Strymon has just as good if not better compression plus a great clean boost.

4. Dompax

Dompax Member

Thanks but OB.1 doesn't have a bypasss buffer so it is out.

5. Dompax

Dompax Member

Any other thoughts? Tnx

6. voorhiessa

voorhiessa Member

I really like the Comp 66. The tone knob makes it versitale. doesnt do the squash thing all that well (to me), but I think it's a great boost pedal with the ability to dial in some compression.

If you have the space, might as well get the Route 66 for $20-30 more. I tended to use it as a 'dual booster'--the comp side as a clean boost, the OD side as a "dirty"boost (with low gain).

7. GemCityStudios

GemCityStudios Member

Why does it have to have an output buffer?

8. Dompax

Dompax Member

I have 9 TB pedals on board, one pedal space left, I need buffer but I don't want to use a dedicated one (already have T1M mini buffer and I am not satisfied - too many highs).

9. esturkie

esturkie Member

JHS PnP is great. The blend knob makes it pretty versatile and personally, I think the internal Little Black Buffer sounds killer.

10. Dompax

Dompax Member

Can you tell more about blend control please? Can the compression be dialed out completly?

11. Dompax

Dompax Member

12. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

Well, that's what buffers do. They preserve the whole frequency spectrum of the signal.

13. Dompax

Dompax Member

Nope, more treble with 9 tb pedals plus T1M then guitar straight to amp.

14. coot tone

coot tone Member

Durham SD is EXACTLY what you want. I use mine exactly as you described.

15. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

That's because the buffer eliminates cable capacitance. When you plug your guitar straight to your amp you are still dealing with the capacitance of the guitar cable. It still muffles your top end. With the buffer engaged it sounds like your guitar really sounds like, without the capacitance of the cable.

16. Dompax

Dompax Member

Well, Boss CS3 buffer makes my signal much flatter in both bass and treble spectrum then T1M. It sounds just more natural and closer to what I would like to hear. I feel that T1M is not the best match for my TK Metropolitan - a naturaly bright amp. And I play a tele..

17. Dompax

Dompax Member

Nice, I just hope it would sit well with my amp. What amp do you play?

18. fieldsroyal

fieldsroyal Member

I agree with the comment about the sex drive doing what you're asking - it is subtle but still noticeable - adds a beautiful sheen to your tone - I used to use it in front of my other dirt to add saturation but now I place it after my overdrives for a clean boost - boosts fuz faces nicely too - I use a 1975 fender vibrosonic basically a twin reverb with a 15 inch speaker -

19. upfrontguitars

upfrontguitars Member

The JHS is a very musical, subtle compression pedal with a nice built in buffer that you can switch off (internally). I like that it compresses mostly on the back end and does not mess up the guitar's natural attack. It can act as a clean boost, and has a very handy blend control. I works like a good compressor should: You don't know it's on until you turn it off.

20. Dompax

Dompax Member

Retaining the attack of the original sound is very important to me. I guess this is more to blend option than the compression design right?
    I have been searching the web for impedance values of jhs buffer circuit with no luck. Anybody knows the input and output impedance values?