JHS Series 3 Reverb

mojeke

JHS 3 reverb is for those who want simple hall-like quality reverb. With 3 knobs you can dial room reverb, plus use switchable pre-delay. All 3 knobs are usable along it’s whole range and you can go from subtle to nearly oscillating big space reverbs. If you want some complex reverb structures, look somewhere else, try Blue Sky, Context or H9. I had Holy Grail, noisy and always too much decay, but Anna Calvi use this for amazing space sounds. I also sold RV5, which is sat to sound sterile, but the only issue i had with it was too much knobs. I was thinking about purchasing JHS 3 reverb almost 2 months, because i didn’t believe something simple like this can work for me. I was also thinkin’ about a new Animal Pedals Reverb, but i am glad i ended with JHS. This is the only pedal from them i have, but they hit perfectly what i was after. Just reverb, simple, flexible reverb. Perfect candidate on always on pedal

Townie

Gold Supporting Member
I own a TC Skysurfer. I really don’t like it. It sounds synthetic not at all natural. Would the JHS3 be better or is it just another cheap sounding reverb? What would you recommend as a middle of the road pedal? Thanks.

PanicOrganic

I really like mine. I also have a Catalinbread Topanga for spring reverb, and a Hermida audio reverb 3 which has a really unique, organic sound but isn’t good for everything. The JHS cuts right down the middle with a great hall-type sound. I can turn it all the way up for really good ambient swells, or dial it back to be more subtle. I’d go for it if I were you.

One note: Some users have reported a slight volume bump when turning the blend up (when it’s more “wet“). They may have fixed the issue recently, but JHS will fix it for free if you feel like you need it. Good peeps.

BUTTISLAND

I own a TC Skysurfer. I really don’t like it. It sounds synthetic not at all natural. Would the JHS3 be better or is it just another cheap sounding reverb? What would you recommend as a middle of the road pedal? Thanks.
cheap-sounding is what JHS 3 series reverb is not, it's comparable to the hall setting on my strymon Flint reverb, minus the extra bell and whistle obviously. it won't trails (no buffer) when you turn it off. it will cut the FX right there when it's turned off. this pedal is an always-on pedal. it will thicken your signal a tad. the original run has around 3 - 3.5 db volume boost, I sent mine to JHS to get it modded so it will output at unity volume.

some people will like the volume boost, some will not.

tooter007

I found it okay, not great, but okay. I think there are better reverb pedal values in the same price point and I am not hating on JHS. I absolutely LOVE the Morning Glory V4. I also found the reverb took out a bit of high end presence when engaged and I fiddled with the tone knob to try and correct that to no avail. Great general pedal however and most will likely enjoy this pedal.

Blind Dog

Supporting Member
I found it okay, not great, but okay. I think there are better reverb pedal values in the same price point and I am not hating on JHS. I absolutely LOVE the Morning Glory V4. I also found the reverb took out a bit of high end presence when engaged and I fiddled with the tone knob to try and correct that to no avail. Great general pedal however and most will likely enjoy this pedal.

I did not experience the presence cut playing through a couple of different amps but maybe my ears are not as sensitive.

I am curious though which other reverb pedals you preferred at $100?

PanicOrganic

Ha, I came here to say I love mine, only to realize this is an old thread and I already commented last month. It’s TGP-ja-vu all over again.

This is worth a watch for anyone interested:

jhspedals.com

Vendor
I don’t like JHS, but $99 is a unique pricepoint for reverb pedals. It’s cheaper than a Holy Grail and the mid-priced options and on par in terms of price with Mooer and the like. I don’t think budget reverbs like the TC Skysurfer are worth it at all unless you’re just learning about the effect or something.

The mid-tier reverbs have generally better algorithm quality. Any of the $150 reverbs are more versatile and sound better (except the TC HOF), IME.

This is FV-1 based and Josh doesn’t have nearly as much experience programming it as he does modding/cloning analog circuits. Look at Neunaber and Alexander if you want reverb that sounds great and goes beyond the datasheet for the FV-1.
To be clear, we write our own FV1 code, we dont use datasheet copy paste code.

jhspedals.com

Vendor
This JHS pedal sounds great to me but I've read about some folks having issues with a volume boost when turning the pedal on. It sounds like JHS has been great about fixing impacted units...but I'm curious to know how widespread the issue is.

As a Canadian, I'd love to be able to buy one directly from JHS that is for sure not impacted by the issue rather than buying one that is potentially impacted and then having to send it back and forth.
The very first run of the Reverb and Delay 3 Series pedals had that volume boost problem, but we've since taken care of it. If you buy new from a dealer, there's a very, very small chance you'd receive one with the boost issues. Unless it's been sitting in the store since we released them, lol.

tooter007

I did not experience the presence cut playing through a couple of different amps but maybe my ears are not as sensitive.

I am curious though which other reverb pedals you preferred at $100?
Not necessarily new pedals at $100, but certainly many used pedals in that price point, TC HOF2 and any BOSS RV series certainly in that price point. I love many JHS pedals btw, again the Morning Glory is stellar and I have the JHS/Boss collab Angry Driver on my radar as well.

Blind Dog

Supporting Member
Not necessarily new pedals at $100, but certainly many used pedals in that price point, TC HOF2 and any BOSS RV series certainly in that price point. I love many JHS pedals btw, again the Morning Glory is stellar and I have the JHS/Boss collab Angry Driver on my radar as well.

Thanks for the follow up! I had considered the Boss but I grabbed the JHS used (so even less than $100) and the pedal is now attached with velcro in the bottom of my OTS Ceriatone (always on).

I don't need much reverb so honestly none of the minor differences in reverb sound even bother me, especially once bandmates add to the mix.

tooter007

Thanks for the follow up! I had considered the Boss but I grabbed the JHS used (so even less than $100) and the pedal is now attached with velcro in the bottom of my OTS Ceriatone (always on).

I don't need much reverb so honestly none of the minor differences in reverb sound even bother me, especially once bandmates add to the mix.

That's interesting that you are running it in the Ceriatone OTS. I was trying it in the loop of the VHT D-50H which is kinda the same thing. I owned the Ceriatone OTS 50 about a decade ago, then stumbled upon the VHT D-50H used at a local GC recently. So far so good, reminds me very much of the OTS. I do like that VHT included trim control for the overdrive on the back panel, my earlier Ceriatone did not have that and had to go into the amp guts to tweak that micro-pot which was always hazardous.

Dave Locher

The very first run of the Reverb and Delay 3 Series pedals had that volume boost problem, but we've since taken care of it. If you buy new from a dealer, there's a very, very small chance you'd receive one with the boost issues. Unless it's been sitting in the store since we released them, lol.
Does this mean that they can be modded so that they DO have a volume boost? A switch or internal mini pot to control output would be great!

Tdog

Up in Canada the HOF2 is about double the price of the JHS. I've owned both. Still have the JHS, HOF2 is long gone

buchla300

I love the sound of mine. Very flexible and useful. But now having added it to a switcher, the volume boost on mine is noticeable. Will see if JHS have a fix. Apart from that, I much prefer it to my previous EHX reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom