JHS Superbolt anyone? If I liked the V1 should I go for the V2?

hendrik7

Just tried my friend's Superbolt and it was shockingly good. Wasn't expecting that at all since I never really cared for the demos I'd checked out before.

But the pedal was so amp like in response and so clear, with great note separation. Made my beloved old OCD sound fizzy in comparison.

Anyone here have it?

The pedal I tried was the version 1 but I now see there's version 2 out and I'm wondering if I could order the V2 without any worries it's gonna sound different from V1?

Also, any similar pedals you would recommend checking out instead? (probably a stupid question though since I know I loved the Superbolt and should probably just stick with that decision).

coltonius

Señor Member
I believe the only difference between v1 and v2 is that you can attach an external footswitch to toggle between high/low gain settings.
V2 may be the same schematically, but it is a complete redesign internally (SMD parts vs hand populate thru hole). I was under the impression both versions sound the same but haven't compared.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I've got the Ruby Red, which is a v2 + a boost, and, while I can't compare it to v1, the v2 is spectacular! :)

Greentone

V2 sounds good, the jack for high gain is cool. The cheap little toggle switch has gotten finicky though.

hendrik7

I borrowed one that was amazing. Then bought one that was meh. Moved it on.
Well that suck. Not consistent eh?

I believe the only difference between v1 and v2 is that you can attach an external footswitch to toggle between high/low gain settings.
Well JHS says "The V2 has an improved taper with a wider "sweet spot" for adjusting the best volume."

I'm just wondering if the magic I'm hearing in V1 is still there.

V2 may be the same schematically, but it is a complete redesign internally (SMD parts vs hand populate thru hole).
Care to explain that in layman's terms? :)

coltonius

Señor Member
Well JHS says "The V2 has an improved taper with a wider "sweet spot" for adjusting the best volume."

I'm just wondering if the magic I'm hearing in V1 is still there.

Care to explain that in layman's terms? :)
Sure. :)

V1:

V2:

And when they say adjusted taper for better sweet spot, they likely changed from a linear taper to a logarithmic taper:

As you can see, both go from 0-100, but the log sweep spends more time in the zone which JHS calls "the sweet spot."

Johnny21

Silver Supporting Member
I also want to add a lot of the demo's weren't helpful at all. They used pickups/guitars that I don't have or like!

Snobel was the one demo I found to be helpful. He played through strat and a LP.

Everyone else uses like filertron, mini buckers, and unique garbage like that.

Like cmon what's wrong with a good ol' humbucker in the bridge and some single coils?

Why you gotta get all fancy for no reason? It doesn't even sound that good to be honest.

saltbird

I've had the Superbolt V1 pretty much since it came out and I totally get what they're saying there. I like it but I've always thought the volume knob was a bit finnicky. I've gotten used to it but I can see how a wider sweet spot would be nice.

...Well JHS says "The V2 has an improved taper with a wider "sweet spot" for adjusting the best volume."

coltonius

Señor Member
I've had the Superbolt V1 pretty much since it came out and I totally get what they're saying there. I like it but I've always thought the volume knob was a bit finnicky. I've gotten used to it but I can see how a wider sweet spot would be nice.
It's amazing how a simple change in taper can affect the feel of a pedal. I know many builders opt for the linear Volume pot because it appears louder, but the trade off is that it can make a pedal difficult to use in a home setting.

hendrik7

LordByron

The Dude abides!
How do you guys like the RR?

http://tonereport.com/reviews/jhs-pedals-ruby-red

This review is saying the boost side is noisy? Can you verify that?

Still trying to decide if I should go for the RR or just the Superbolt.
I really like the RR. At first, I found the boost very noisy, but after changing out power supplies, the objectionable noise level went away. If you really crank the boost up high, you still get some noise, but I keep mine at about 11:00, which is enough to give a decent boost (and nice kick in the pants to the Thunderbolt side) without appreciable noise. I can play around with it a bit tonight to chart out where the noise starts creeping in and how quickly it builds, if you want. But as I am using it currently (Volume 10:00, Tone 2:00, Gain 2:00, Boost 11:00), with a decent isolated power source, I am not having any significant issue with unwanted noise.

saltbird

Right, it makes you think there's a ton of headroom available because the volume is only at 9 o'clock but I've never had an issue with any overdrive not having enough volume. They all seem to have plenty.

The amount of volume isn't what's going to sell a pedal, but how easily you can dial in sweet spots will.

I'm glad they've changed it. Not enough of a reason to buy the new one for me but soon enough..

It's amazing how a simple change in taper can affect the feel of a pedal. I know many builders opt for the linear Volume pot because it appears louder, but the trade off is that it can make a pedal difficult to use in a home setting.

hendrik7

I really like the RR. At first, I found the boost very noisy, but after changing out power supplies, the objectionable noise level went away. If you really crank the boost up high, you still get some noise, but I keep mine at about 11:00, which is enough to give a decent boost (and nice kick in the pants to the Thunderbolt side) without appreciable noise. I can play around with it a bit tonight to chart out where the noise starts creeping in and how quickly it builds, if you want. But as I am using it currently (Volume 10:00, Tone 2:00, Gain 2:00, Boost 11:00), with a decent isolated power source, I am not having any significant issue with unwanted noise.
Thanks!

Trending Topics