JHS - What Is A Blues Breaker?

PaisleyWookie

Informative, concise, entertaining, full of superb context and history, Josh is really killing it with these shows. A superb resource for the whole community, new and old hand alike. I look forward to each new episode.
Yeah his videos are great

Bryan T

guitar owner
Silver Supporting Member
I watched this last night and enjoyed it. When he did the A/B stuff comparing the pedal/amp to the Marshall combo, I always preferred the Marshall combo.

Madsen

I’m not sure where I heard (maybe a QA video?) this but I think it’s a 40 watt built for him by Tim Marcus of Milkman Amps
I recall him explaining it was a one off someone built for him on one of the vids. He said it might maybe go into production but he wasn't sure yet.

Jim Marciano

Supporting Member
As long as we are here I have a blues breaker pedal question, the pot, black box and pantheon are all around the same price used, first respect to analog Mike for starting the craze and I probably will get a pot but the pantheon can run at 18v and I'm pretty interested in that, any one have any experience?

sanfi4u

Silver Supporting Member
As long as we are here I have a blues breaker pedal question, the pot, black box and pantheon are all around the same price used, first respect to analog Mike for starting the craze and I probably will get a pot but the pantheon can run at 18v and I'm pretty interested in that, any one have any experience?
I'd go for BBOD2. One of the best BB circuit based pedals imho. PoT is a good overdrive too. One more option is Chellee Sir Robin. You can get it new for a very reasonable money.

97.3% sure that the POT can do 18V as well. Calling @analogmike

nailthesnail

Why can't Marshall re-release the Blues Breaker pedal? Do they still have the technology, would it be that hard to replicate?
what if I told you that there already WAS a Blues Breaker pedal, currently in production by Marshall..... but you probably wouldn’t be interested in it as it’s in a different enclosure to the original?

would you sneer and say “I’d still try it”?

MAD 69

Of course i would try it, I don't care what it looks like as long as it sounds decent. Unless you are talking about the the pedal they released in early 2000's but it doesn't sound like the original from Early 90's...

LPVM

I like his vids, I will eventually buy one of his pedals. I almost pulled the trigger on the @ but ended up buying an Eclipse instead. I have a stock EHX Soul Food and like it. I like turds. :wave

Gaheba

I like his videos very much, but just want to share my opinion about one part.

When he compares the KOT and the BluesBreaker MK1, he states that they sound quite different and so they do, mainly due to the fact that he did not try to match the sounds, he just matched the pots positions.

I have a KOT and a Bluesbreaker MK1 and deliverately compared them, trying to set a sound in one of them and matching it with the other and I have to say that they are very very very close. Just the KOT has more gain on tap and a lot more of output available, so the pots must be in very different places to match each other. The KOT is better in the sense that the range of the pots is more usable.

In terms of sound, I just find the KOT to be slightly cleaner (less noise) and more chymie in the sense of having more presence, maybe messing inside with the presence trimpot will make them even closer. But as I say they are mainly the same sound in my opinion, but overall I slighty prefer the KOT eventhough the BluesBreaker looks way cooler.

Anybody else owns both and has compared them?
Yes, I have both. I bought my BluesBreaker somewhere around 1992-4. The made in England version.
I agree with your comments, your experience very closely mirrors mine.

The Snouse BlackBox Classic (the three knob pedal, not the updated version) gets even closer to the original Marshall, but like the KOT, the knobs have a more useful range. The Classic has the same gain range as the Marshall.
I personally prefer the Black Box Classic over both the KOT and the Snouse BB2 for original BluesBreaker tones in a modern form, but it’s really splitting hairs.
They’re all great pedals!

sanfi4u

Silver Supporting Member
Of course i would try it, I don't care what it looks like as long as it sounds decent. Unless you are talking about the the pedal they released in early 2000's but it doesn't sound like the original from Early 90's...
Marshall BB2-Bluesbreaker II was released in 2000. Although it is based on the original big box Bluesbreaker (discontinued in 1999) it was substantially redesigned and has more aggressive sound. Moreover, I suspect Marshall quietly redesigned it once again around 2010. So BB-2 pedal currently in production differs much from the original big box pedal.
With so many good BB based overdrives around with a friendly price tags (PoT, BBOD2, Sir Robin) there's no reason in trying BB-2 imho.

2+2=5

the Blues Breaker (Blue/Black box) has a very lite gain with a “Glassy” Break-up OD tone which reminds me a typical Marshall Low Gain sound, but in my memory it's a little bit too “thin” in the TONE knob range and less of Gain, would be better work with another Boost or EQ pedal

the BB-2 is a so so OD(plus a boost mode) pedal to me, nothing special but with a Marshall logo...

Josh's video is amazing BTW:cool: the philosopher...

Maggie_O

Supporting Member
I’m not sure where I heard (maybe a QA video?) this but I think it’s a 40 watt built for him by Tim Marcus of Milkman Amps
That's exactly what it is. I played a 20W Milkman last week and it was more or less a clone of Josh's amp, only smaller.

Trending Topics