JHS - What Is A Blues Breaker?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MadFrank, Jul 11, 2019.

1. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Yeah his videos are great

2. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

I heard it's actually a Dumble in disguise.

3. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

I love these history lessons!

4. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

5. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

I watched this last night and enjoyed it. When he did the A/B stuff comparing the pedal/amp to the Marshall combo, I always preferred the Marshall combo.

Johnny Moondog and tawtaw like this.
  6. Madsen

Madsen Member

I recall him explaining it was a one off someone built for him on one of the vids. He said it might maybe go into production but he wasn't sure yet.

7. Jim Marciano

Jim Marciano Supporting Member

As long as we are here I have a blues breaker pedal question, the pot, black box and pantheon are all around the same price used, first respect to analog Mike for starting the craze and I probably will get a pot but the pantheon can run at 18v and I'm pretty interested in that, any one have any experience?

8. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

I'd go for BBOD2. One of the best BB circuit based pedals imho. PoT is a good overdrive too. One more option is Chellee Sir Robin. You can get it new for a very reasonable money.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  9. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

10. eternally found

eternally found Supporting Member

97.3% sure that the POT can do 18V as well. Calling @analogmike

Jim Marciano likes this.
  11. sanfi4u

Yep, BBOD2, PoT and Chellee Sir Robin all can be powered with 9-18V.

Jim Marciano likes this.
  12. nailthesnail

nailthesnail Member

what if I told you that there already WAS a Blues Breaker pedal, currently in production by Marshall..... but you probably wouldn’t be interested in it as it’s in a different enclosure to the original?

would you sneer and say “I’d still try it”?

13. MAD 69

MAD 69 Member

Of course i would try it, I don't care what it looks like as long as it sounds decent. Unless you are talking about the the pedal they released in early 2000's but it doesn't sound like the original from Early 90's...

14. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

15. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

Great video, thanks OP!

16. LPVM

LPVM Member

I like his vids, I will eventually buy one of his pedals. I almost pulled the trigger on the @ but ended up buying an Eclipse instead. I have a stock EHX Soul Food and like it. I like turds. :wave

17. Gaheba

Gaheba Member

Yes, I have both. I bought my BluesBreaker somewhere around 1992-4. The made in England version.
    I agree with your comments, your experience very closely mirrors mine.

The Snouse BlackBox Classic (the three knob pedal, not the updated version) gets even closer to the original Marshall, but like the KOT, the knobs have a more useful range. The Classic has the same gain range as the Marshall.
    I personally prefer the Black Box Classic over both the KOT and the Snouse BB2 for original BluesBreaker tones in a modern form, but it’s really splitting hairs.
    They’re all great pedals!

Holzar88 likes this.
  18. sanfi4u

Marshall BB2-Bluesbreaker II was released in 2000. Although it is based on the original big box Bluesbreaker (discontinued in 1999) it was substantially redesigned and has more aggressive sound. Moreover, I suspect Marshall quietly redesigned it once again around 2010. So BB-2 pedal currently in production differs much from the original big box pedal.
    With so many good BB based overdrives around with a friendly price tags (PoT, BBOD2, Sir Robin) there's no reason in trying BB-2 imho.

19. 2+2=5

2+2=5 Member

the Blues Breaker (Blue/Black box) has a very lite gain with a “Glassy” Break-up OD tone which reminds me a typical Marshall Low Gain sound, but in my memory it's a little bit too “thin” in the TONE knob range and less of Gain, would be better work with another Boost or EQ pedal

the BB-2 is a so so OD(plus a boost mode) pedal to me, nothing special but with a Marshall logo...

Josh's video is amazing BTW:cool: the philosopher...

20. Maggie_O

Maggie_O Member

That's exactly what it is. I played a 20W Milkman last week and it was more or less a clone of Josh's amp, only smaller.