Jian Ghomeshi fired from CBC

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by eclecto-acoustic, Oct 26, 2014.

1. BrandonAy

BrandonAy Member

2. DamianL

DamianL Member

My favourite was the statement from his lawyer which described his sexual preferences as basically 'too extreme for you squares' but rather as something that broad-minded people might find 'enticing' - when you are accused of sexual violence, probably best not to describe your actions like that...makes you sound just a leeeeeetle bit creepy...

D

3. Ed Zachary

Ed Zachary Member

She's also a Captain in the Royal Canadian Air Force and doesn't know basic self defense? Why didn't she tear him a new one as soon as he put his hands on her?

Also, anybody who pulls the

"him telling her how famous he was and how lucky you are to be with me.”

line is a worm anyway. I dated someone like that (only not famous, from a wealthy family). That conversation and date ended abruptly.

Innocent until proven guilty but if the accusations are true I think he's got a bad time ahead of him.

4. starjag

starjag Member

Hoping that the courts won't be afraid of sending this guy to jail if the evidence is there.

5. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

6. Z_Zoquis

Z_Zoquis Member

yeesh...sure sounds like his success went straight to his heads.

It seems he and his team are relying on his popular image to carry him through by painting his sexual proclivities as though they are just a perfectly reasonable extension of his fundamental intelligence, sensitivity and open-mindedness. I think that will not work so well...

7. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Again, why would none- repeat, NONE- of these women press charges? I can understand a percentage not wanting to go to police but not a single person has filed a charge. That still makes no sense.
    To say he has peculiar taste in women would be an understatement. There's so much that remains hidden when you are dealing with people that have some "exotic" taste in sexual practices. Both JG and his "parters" leave a lot to the imagination and I wouldn't trust the word of any of them.

Just listened to the interview with Lucy DeCoutere (actress from Trailer Park Boys) on CBC radio. Her story is incredibly weak. She said she was slapped and choked after a date then later in the interview she relates that she went to a couple of other functions with him after that. WTF? She sounded like a flake.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  8. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

50 shades of Ghomeshi.

9. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

10. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Member

I would imagine that proof would initially come in the form of communications and showing the police locations of bruising and trauma. That's the problem with waiting so long to come forward...that evidence is now gone.

And yes, it should only be proof as determined by expert investigators. It might sound harsh on the face of it, but think of the precedent set by the alternative. Unsubstantiated allegations and the court of public opinion already sealed this guy's fate with his career. Imagine if it could also put him in jail.

11. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Cases such as this involve blurred lines between consent and abuse without consent. A good friend of mine successfully convinced her attractive young daughter to resist the charms of a very successful and now retired NFL running back. Nothing good would have come from that relationship. But women are often attracted to "powerful" males. It can be a sexual turn on, but involving unacceptable risks. Blurred lines, indeed.

12. smiert spionam

smiert spionam Member

You've answered your own question -- you've made the victim the one who is on trial. Who would want to be the first to come forward, given the thin evidence, the legal gray areas, the possibility that you will be the only one speaking, and the risk of personal attacks like the ones above? What is the possible upside?

13. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Assuming that he really did these things, then the upside would be getting a villain off the streets and putting an end to his criminal behavior (again, assuming that he did these things). Women do stand up in the legal system against rapists and assailants all the time.

14. Neer

Neer Supporting Member

Seriously! If one has read that account and not walked away feeling the same, please let me know.

15. zztomato

I'm far from defending JG. Did you listen to the interview? It did not go well for her. The most ridiculous part being that she went out with him after the fact a couple more times. I'm not saying she's lying but, IMO, you would not go out with a person a second time if they had assaulted you. If she, and others, had come forward right after the incident, then his behaviour may have been put in check long ago.
    Evidence so far is hearsay. If his behaviour has really been abusive then present evidence. Nobody should be tried by rumour. If he is guilty of what is said to be true by his accusers, then I hope justice is served. But society, and our legal system, demands proof. None of these women apparently thought it serious enough at the time to file a formal charge.
    At this point I would not trust anything that is being said in the media right now- that includes what is coming from JG's mouth as well.

Let's be really clear about this "blaming the victim" term. That relates to an entirely different situation where the sentiment that "they had it coming" is used. That is NOT at all what is going on here.

16. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Battered women (and men) do lots of things that don't make sense to outside observers.

Perhaps

Direct eyewitness testimony is not hearsay, or rumor, it is the opposite actually. And just because other sources are anonymous does not mean they are hearsay. Hearsay would be "My friend Jane told me that this happened to her..." if the person who was present and assaulted offers their account of what happened, that is not hearsay.

That said, we can certainly probe the veracity of the claim.

The more and more that comes out, the worse it looks for Jian. It has been explained multiple times that not filing a report does not mean they did not think it serious. I know people who have been assaulted and raped and did not file a report, it is very serious to them, the the act in and of it self is traumatizing and brings all kinds of baggage with it.

Well claiming that a victim "should not have gone on a another date with him" or "should have reported it if they felt it serious" or "she could have prevented it happening to others" seems to come close.

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Member

Everything you say may be correct but as a society of laws we try people in courts of law, not on guitar fora.

18. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Seems pretty clear the situation required CBC put some distance between themselves JG. That's not a question having to prove legal guilt prior to them taking action. Its a question of CBC protecting the CBC brand and enforcing language that had to be in JG employment contract relating to conduct/behavior.

Not a good situation but CBC couldn't do nothing at this point...not with (now) 8 apparently unrelated victims coming forward with essentially similar accusations.

JG is professionally skilled and now he loses a lot. CBC loses a lot.
    The victims have lost...but most difficult to understand is why it went on so long when it's been an open secret JG was an active predator and liability for CBC.

Any word from NPR?
    This must be making NPR leaderships heads explode.

19. zztomato

Not going to take issue with any of your comments but this one because, of course, it's a very complicated thing to come forward about -and risky for many reasons.

All I can say is I guess one persons "blaming the victim" is another's "questioning their logic and story". I'm not blaming the victim- not even close.

20. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I completely agree, but that does not mean we can't form opinions about the matter.

I have tried to stay neutral, if you look at my posts I have presented arguments on all sides of this. But as the evidence mounts, it gets harder and harder to defend Jian's side. Does it rise to the "no reasonable doubt" standard? I am not sure, but I think at this point it is starting to pass the "more likely than not" civil standard.

I like the guy as an interviewer, if the accusations are true, it is really sad, if the accusations are false, it is also sad. Just a crappy situation all around.