Jim Beam Les Paul

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Found this today, brought it home:

It's a bolt on neck, so I don't think it's a real Gibson... but it has the right headstock shape and other than the truss rod cover, looks pretty good a few feet away. (oh, and the frets are over binding and it's a flat top.)

Anyways, I've seen a few 'real' Gibson ones that had a black headstock and a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock on the net, but none exactly like this. Anyone have any info regarding # made, where, if they are worth anything? I figured if it was I'd likely flip it, if not then I have a cool Les Paul looking guitar I can put Stainless frets and new pickups in and have a fun gig guitar.

Tim Plains

There are a few things that make me think it is not real. You should really send good pictures to Gibson asking them to verify it and provide you with production numbers.

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Oh, there's no way in hell it's a real gibson. It's a bolt on neck, the frets aren't under the binding, truss rod cover is wrong too. I though it might be an epi but it has the gibson headstock shape.

stratotone

Silver Supporting Member
Few more interesting tidbits after a take apart...

no ID or marks anywhere in any cavity or on the neck. Neck fits great into the body though, and the body has actual binding. I said before top was flat, it's not. It's arched. no ID marks on the pickups, the tune-o-matic copy, or the tailpiece.

Scale length is Gibson, which is cool. Truss rod is NOT gibson style though, it's a hex key and looks a lot like a Chinese Epi.

Worst case scenario is I have a cool wall hanger. But it actually plays ok and doesn't sound bad. May put in a spare SD humbucker I have laying around and do a quick grind and polish on the frets. Might make for a interesting conversation piece at a gig. :)

edwarddavis

Silver Supporting Member
call china they want their guitar back.

Hey if it plays , is cheap . looks fun , good score

Jpower79

I totally got rooked in on eBay once with an add almost identical.

No reserve auction, grabbed it for just under a grand.

Guitar arrived...a set neck version of the OPs guitar.

Never did end up getting my money back...I now use it to show employees how to spot fakes when they walk in. Twice this holiday season it saved our store from losing some serious money...so all in all at the end it's worth it I guess.

Trending Topics