Jim Campilongo demos new Fender Princeton Reverb RI...youtube

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JohnK24, May 31, 2008.

1. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHVG4kDurtY

Cool to see Fender getting a stellar player to demo the new RI Princeton...very cool.

I'd like to see Adam Levy do a demo on this amp too...another great Princeton Reverb payer.

J

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Dammm.....that amp sounds great! I think I will check that amp out a little more.

3. Blueser

Blueser Member

Pretty cool, but I am wondering what the real market for this amp is when they already have the Delxue Reverb RI. Is there that big a difference in sound between the two?

The Princeton is 12 Watts and the Deluxe is 20. Doesn't seem to be all that much difference here, as the sound is BF Fender. Maybe I am missing something.

4. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

I've always been a fan of both Jim and Princeton Reverbs. However, I'd love to hear a demo with the reverb dialed down a bit (yeah, I know they're famous for their reverb sound, but maybe one tune a little less surf/spaghetti western?). Still, thanks for the demo, as I think I'll be picking one of these up.-eric

5. JohnK24

Yeah, I'm kicking myself now for springing for a tweed hot rod dlx that was clearanced a few months ago, and now Fender FINALLY releases this little beauty for around $800 street. I can see an amp switch next year for sure...love that tone.

6. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

How did you learn about this amp? there is not one word about it on the Fender website and also no Youtube link to the Campilongo video.

7. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Yeah too much Verb and delay in the video clip,Jim is a great player!
    The PR has a 10 in speaker,and the bias tremolo,I think that if they put tremolo on the Blues Jr it would be like a PR as the BJ,s sound great and cheaper also.

8. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

There's $150 difference in MAP. Other than that, I'm not sure how different they could be. At $799 MAP, you could buy a silver face rather than a PCB Mexican made cosmetic reproduction. I really love Princetons, but the more I think about this, the less sense it makes.

9. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Why not a 12" speaker? A little bigger sound with an almost perfect power range for a small to medium venue. It'll be interesting to see how they compare tonally to a vintage blackface or silverface Princeton Reverb. I'm assumimg they're PCB amps...not necessarily bad if they're designed and built right...and above all, sound good. I'd still prefer PTP wired though.

Tom

10. Shark Sandwich

Shark Sandwich Member

pretty impressive. . . Jim is one of my favorite players, such tasteful playing.

This is going to be a big seller for Fender.

11. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Fender couldn't have come up with a better person to demo the new PR IMHO. It was interesting that Jim made no comparisons to his vintage PR's....if he starts using the reissue instead for his regular gigs, that would be saying something.

It should be noted that Jim sets his PR's up unlike anyone else I've ever seen. It does work for him with his tele's but it is unorthodox, to say the least, to have both bass and vol set to 10 on any BF Fender.

The amp sounded fine in the video, but Jim always sounds fine.....which of course is the whole point of getting a killer player to demo your amps!;)

12. Loni Specter

Loni Specter Member

Needless to say, but maybe not, is the weight difference? They had one at the AMP SHOW, but I didn't have a chance to hear it.
    I have a Rivera designed PR II (12"), but I will grab one of these cuties for the heck of it.

13. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I thought it sounded pretty good and FWIW...there is a world of difference between a DR and a PR...power, speaker, trem, driver...lots of differences, in fact I'd say more is different than the same...

14. Catoogie

Catoogie Senior Member

Why not a 12? Because 10's RULE!!!! That great Princeton sound is a 10 not a 12.

Real men use 10's.

15. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

That's sweet, great playing.

16. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Sounds good - worth checking out.

"Fender amps - a symbol of eternal goodness." Love it.

17. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Really? Wow, I have an amp with 4x10's!! I'm feeling pretty virulent now!! ;)

Tom

18. vpolineni

vpolineni Member

I've read the baffle is removable so you can put in a 12" speaker. How would it sound with a celestion alnico blue?

19. JohnK24

There's been plenty of "chat" around this board, the Tele Page and FDP about this RI. I found the link on the Les Paul Forum this AM.

J

20. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

tone is great. great playing. These amps are gonna be HUGE when they are released.