Jim Kelley Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MarkVMyers, Jan 23, 2015.

1. MarkVMyers

MarkVMyers Member

As part of a friends musical estate I have possession of a Jim Kelley FACS Amp with Speaker Cab. Is this a desirable amp for players or collectors? It's a sweet sounding amp.

2. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

3. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  4. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Does it have the attenuator too? If not, there was one for sale (incredibly) in the emporium a week or so ago. The attenuators are brutally rare.

/rick

5. mrmurph

mrmurph Member

Great amp that has it's following. There are not a lot of them on the market due to the fact that there weren't a lot of them made and most of the people that have them aren't interested in letting them go. Makes for a paradoxical market for them....

6. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Junk. You need to give it to me. ;)

7. Garnett

Garnett Member

Old & heavy. Loud tough to work on. Let me know if you need me to take it off your hands.... Lol. I love JK amps, kick arss amps!

8. snarkle

snarkle Member

I'm pretty much set for amps for life, except that I'd like a second Jim Kelley. Mine is the best amp I own, and one of the best I've played through, including Dumbles, Trainwrecks, and vintage Marshalls.

Let me know if this one goes on the block; otherwise, keep it and turn it up!

9. mscotts

mscotts What?! Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely fantastic amps, one of the best sounding amps ever made IMO.
    Jim Kelley posts here occasionally, he's been doing some work in conjunction with Suhr
    and made some comments today.
    His user name is JIM KELLEY I believe, he could tell you anything you want to know and then some....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  10. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

A couple of nights ago I had the opportunity to play one of the new JK amps. It belongs to a fellow tgp'r. What an amazing sounding amp. The clean to was to die for...

I had to look under the hood, of course. The workmanship was absolutely top notch. The Suhr team has knocked it out of the park with building these beauties.

I could easily picture a dream rig of two of the JK's in stereo for clean tones, my 2204 build for rhythm, and a Carol-Ann Tucana or OD2 for lead...

Yes.....:JAM

PurpleJesus likes this.
  11. Kingklon

Kingklon Member

I bought the Jim Kelley FACS combo amp that was on Reverb. It is actually ash,
    not maple. The original owner ordered it custom built, in 1983, to match his ash
    Strat. This is a VERY loud 60/30 watt amp. It brings out the best in my playing
    like no amp I have played before in my 50 years of playing electric. If your playing is sucking it will punish you brutally, but if you are playing well you are rewarded. It is super responsive and revealing while being sweet. It loves a Klon
    Centaur or a Van Weelden Royal Overdrive (Amazing overdrive!) It sounds beautiful in a mix, too, really cuts through, but sweetly.
    It weighs 75 lbs. Ugh. But it is worth it. It really does sound/feel THAT good.

12. snarkle

snarkle Member

Welcome to the club, Kingklon! Does the OP have any news, or pics?

13. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I still remember the day my older brother called me to tell me someone stole his JK. This was back in 1983'. That amp sounded so good too... It was a very sad day for my bro...

14. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Oh yeah, the wood 'n wicker Kelleys are not petite. Mine had a JBL; pretty freakin heavy amp.

/rick

15. davidespinosa

davidespinosa Supporting Member

I had a black FACS. It was half my weight!

16. Garnett

Garnett Member

I bought mine from JK in 1980. Incredible quality of tones. Gigged and recorded thru it for 30 years. Was stolen. Went thru 20 plus amps trying to replace that quality of tone. Finally found another JK, happy again. The tone is "pure" If that makes sense. i just found out this version (1981 ?) has a footswitchable input under the chassis, when engaged is a gain boost. Wow, now that pristine pure clean, with a gain that Sanatan would envy!

Cheers

17. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Ash! Awesome.

18. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

My favorite amp I've ever owned by far. I can't say enough good about it. I've got a Reissue, and it goes from clean to mean like a champ.
    [​IMG]

19. Garnett

Garnett Member

I think the Klon type ODs work great in these amps. I don't care so much for the 808 types with the JK. To thin? Anybody else? Preferences...?

Cheers

20. snarkle

snarkle Member

You mean the jack next to the power tubes? Weirdly, I'd never noticed that before. I'll check it out and report back after work...