Jim Kelly amps - Post Your Pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Mike

Mike Member

2. Mike

Mike Member

COOL MARK! THANKS!

3. randall g

randall g Member

Love those amps! Begged a friend to sell me his - which he never did. So I bought a Boogie Mark III instead.

4. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Man would I kill for one of those reverb models!! Especially that 4x10.

5. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Here's my Kelley. It isn't back from the tech but the good news is it was totally rebuilt by none other than Jim Kelley! It's a 1x10
    NAMM amp. One of three ?[​IMG]

6. Tony Foran

This is my old Line amp. I think the last model Jim made and supposedly his favorite.[​IMG]

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

They all came with an attenuator built on? When are these from? All-tube (I assume so because of the attenuators)?

8. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Mike -

I've got a 4x10" Jim Kelly FACS too - we may have the only ones left out there in the world - I think Jim only made 4 or 5 of them. Chris Cobb (Real Guitars) had one, I believe, that he lost in a fire at his house in like '96 or '97 ....

I got mine in '82, and dragged it all over the country playing in clubs - the thing has a few hundred thousand miles on it, and it's pretty beat. It's one of the reasons I'm a big Tuki cover fan these days (SIGH)

Did your's come w/ Celestions? Mine did.

No pics just yet, but it's beat, and needs some work. Really tough to find a tech who really knows Kelly amps.

Calling Adam Stark, you wanna shot at fixing it ...?

One of the great sounding amps of all time IMHO.

Dana

9. Mike

Mike Member

Well, it's a sad day my friend. Chris Cobb had my old one. And so it's gone.

Actually, I'm half right here. I had two at one point - Lyle Workman's old one which had an effects loop and the 4x10 (and a 1x12) cab. I had a second one which was Dave Stein's old amp, which came in a 1x12, but it had no loop. The 4x10 was close to 80 lbs. and I was tired of lugging it around, so I put Daves into the 4x10 chassis and consigned it at Starving Musician. Chris Cobb ended up with it.

The "Lyle" chassis went into the 1x12 cab and I kept it for several more years. I sold it to a very close friend with the first right of refusal if he ever goes to sell it, which he will probably never do. So I can still get my hands on it if I need to.

But, I guess that particular 4x10 cab is dust in the wind. That's kinda sad.

Mike

10. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Tony,
    Hope all is well. You still have the Line Amp? I sure would like to spend some more time with that amp or another Kelley.
    Happy Holidays,
    Rick

11. Tony Foran

Hi Rick
    No,I sold it to Bob Stirner and I picked up the 1x10 on E-bay.
    All that power and it weighs less than 40 lbs!

12. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Thanks Tony. If you ever get the opportunity.....check out an old Budda Stringmaster. 4XEl-84 yet very Fendery cleans and a gain channel with a built in attenuator....does that Fender/Dumble smooth overdrive and a lot more. Reminds me of the Kelly a lot. I was never fond of attenuators, so I never spent enough time with the Kelley using the attenuator. I'm really happy with the Stringmaster, think you'd like it.
    Take care,
    Rick

13. Dana Olsen

Well, it's a sad day my friend. Chris Cobb had my old one. And so it's gone.

Actually, I'm half right here. I had two at one point - Lyle Workman's old one which had an effects loop and the 4x10 (and a 1x12) cab. I had a second one which was Dave Stein's old amp, which came in a 1x12, but it had no loop. The 4x10 was close to 80 lbs. and I was tired of lugging it around, so I put Daves into the 4x10 chassis and consigned it at Starving Musician. Chris Cobb ended up with it.

The "Lyle" chassis went into the 1x12 cab and I kept it for several more years. I sold it to a very close friend with the first right of refusal if he ever goes to sell it, which he will probably never do. So I can still get my hands on it if I need to.

But, I guess that particular 4x10 cab is dust in the wind. That's kinda sad.

Mike

My JK has the effects loop as well. I bought it at Westwood Music, then took it to JK and he installed the loop while I waited in his manufasturing shop.

Killed time talking with Alan Holdsworth while I waited - cool, huh.

Know anybody who can make mine well again?

Thanks, Dana

14. Mike

Mike Member

Dana,

Keith Reinneger at The Amp Lab In Redwood City knows them very well. (650) 361-1281

Mike

15. Dana Olsen

Thanks Mike - I'll give him a call.

Dana

16. Mike

Mike Member

Dana,

You might also try Jack Smith at

West Coast Tube Works
    742 Water St.
    Santa Cruz, CA 95060
    Phone: 831-423-8555
    Fax: 831-423-2552

He's old as dirt and been inside many a fine tube amp. Used to hang with Howie in the Bakersfield days. Plus, you can drive up here and hang out too! :D

Mike

17. Tony Foran

Why not Jim Kelley? He went through mine. He's frequently on the newsgroups. Maybe it was just a favor to his buddy,Lord Valve but it's worth a try.

18. Dana Olsen

HI Tony -

I'd LOVE to have Jim go through it, but ...

I spoke to him a few years back(hell, it was over 10 years ago), and he was feeling very "ripped off" with respect to the music industry. He seemed quite bitter about the way his business went when he had to close his doors.

8 years ago, my roomate worked for a famous Country artist who had a JK 1x12 combo that needed work. Through a contact at the Fender Custom shop who played at a weekly jam w/ Jim, he (Jim) said he'd repair it, and my roomate brought mine along for repair too.

Long story short: my amp ended up w/ Wes at Pro Music Exchange in Orange County ( he used to work for Jim ). Wes got extremely busy opening a new store, and the end of the story is that I had to pick up my amp 5 months later there, in pieces, something like 12 months after my roomate initially took it in for repair.

I got someone else to put it back together, but it's never been the same; not even close.

Because of the way that deal turned out, I'm reluctant to contact Jim. I'm a huge fan of his, and I could easily wait a year to have it fixed, and of course pay him his going rate, but it seemed to me (though I had no direct contact with Jim in this) that his interest was low in my repair job, so as I say, I'm reluctant to contact him again about it.

He is and will always be my hero of the 6v6 tube amp.

Jeez, last I went by his shop, in maybe '84 or '85, Jim was working on an amp that he described as "... a way to dial through all the good sounds of all the Marshalls." It had EL-34's and sounded like 12 million bucks!

OK, which boards does JK hang out on?(GRIN) I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask him who HE recommends to repair his amps.

Thanks, Dana

19. Mike

Mike Member

I emailed him a couple of years ago from a board, and he never got back to me....

Mike

20. Dr Rico

Dr Rico Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 30/60 reverb. Its got Mojo Plus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've exchanged a few emails with Jim. He was very helpful and polite and seemed pleased that I respected his work.

Yep.