Jim Kelly amps - Post Your Pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike, Dec 5, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

Sorry if that sounds stupid but...
    Is there any relation with that John Kelley, who was my tech back in London UK in the mid-90s?
    I know he had built amps at some point in his career. Same Jim?

2. 57special

57special Member

[​IMG]

(copy of email correspondance with Jim Kelley shown with his permission)

Hi,
    First off, I have no idea if you are still at all interested in your amps. I can completely understand if you have moved on mentally as well as physically.
    I bought a Line amp 6 months ago, and have grown more and more attached to it. It seems like an amp that Boogies should be, but never were(for me). I can get great sounds at almost any setting, and with almost any guitar. I do wonder what some of the controls actually do, however, and wonder if there is a photocopy of a Line amp brochure somewhere. All I've seen is a brochure explaining the FACS amp, which, of course, has some different controls. I've also thought about getting an attenuator built, though i do find the MV works well, possibly making one redundant.
    If you can steer me in the right direction to someone who might build a JK style attenuator and/or explain the Line amp controls I would appreciate it. If not, no worries, the amp sounds great!

Regards,
    Rob Dixon

Hello Rob,

You've found a gem, in my opinion. Wish I still had one. The Line Amps were probably the best amps that I made. But they were all basically prototypes. I don't know how many I made, but there aren't many. Holdsworth had a single channel version. The lead channel is an entire jk amplifier including phase inverter and low power output section. The master volume is one of the knobs that's different than the other jk's, but there is one other. At the time we had the silkscreening done I think I called it "Pre-Eq", or something like that. But it's actually a post distortion eq control. And I think it's unlike anything else ever made. It's a dual gang pot which passively does a mid-boost/mid-cut. So you can either scoop things out, or boost them for more sustain. A power attenuator would, in a way be redundant. But as you know, overdriving the output is a different kind of sound, so having an attenuator would increase the versatility - as well as the complexity. I never printed literature for those amps. The response to them didn't seem to warrant it. I don't think anybody understood what I was doing with the amp. From a business standpoint, times were not good. Kinda like now - only the dollar was real expensive.

A couple ways you could go on the attenuator. Maybe the best way would be to find a commercially made product that you like, and modify it to operate with the amp. I could either direct the modification, or do it myself. Another possible (and more expensive) way to go would be for me to build you one.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Jim Kelley

[​IMG]

3. foomoola

foomoola Member

Hey Rob,

That's my old amp !!!! I sold it just a little while ago , due to financial issue's (ex-wives never go away !!!!) I had it on MANY gigs etc... If you need more info let me know ...although I am SURE that JK is your BEST source .... If you EVER want to let that baby go PLEASE ,PLEASE email or PM me , I would buy it back in a HEART BEAT !!!!! Thanks Dave P.

Daveponte@hotmail.com

Whatever # you put on it I WILL take her back .....I miss her SOOOOO VERY much .....

4. foomoola

foomoola Member

HEY JIM K. ,

If you see the above post PLEASE CONTACT ME , BY PM or daveponte@hotmail .com .....I will be waiting patiently ....:munch
    Thanks ...Dave P.

5. 57special

57special Member

Dave,
    OK.
    I wasn't knocked out by this amp at first, but it's kept growing and growing on me, till it is "me". At this point, it's the only "new" amp I have that stands up to my old "keepers".
    BTW, i think i'm going to move my post to a new thread, to promote interest and/or information. I promised JK i would give him a link to a thread.

6. SimonCampbell

SimonCampbell Member

7. snarkle

snarkle Member

That's almost identical to my amp, except that mine has black knobs.

It's the best sounding amp I've ever owned, and one of the two or three best I've ever played through, including Trainwrecks and Dumbles.

Is it still for sale?

If so, can you email me with the price?

Shipping from the UK to Canada would almost certainly be prohibitive, but still...

8. SimonCampbell

SimonCampbell Member

Hi...

I want 2000USD for it. I suspect shipping will be around 200/300USD

Cheers

Simonski

9. snarkle

snarkle Member

Worth every penny...

I'll think about it, but in the interim you should post an ad in the Emporium section to see what kind of response you get...

Interested in trades?

Like many of us, I'm cash-poor and gear-rich at the moment...

10. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I think you're right Mike - I talked to Chris Cobb in like '97, right after the fire - he told me his 4x10 was destroyed and wondered if I'd care to sell mine. I think Barry may have a different FACS 4x10.

Now THAT'S rare - a FACS 4x10. Makes Dumble amps look like a dime a dozen (GRIN). I don't actually recall how many 4X10'S Jim built, but something like 7 or 8 - right? I once heard only 4 of them, but it seems like there must have been more.

Hey Barry - Yup, something ELSE we have in common!

Dana O.

11. Mike

Mike Member

I had heard 2! Not many though... Here was mine in action in 1988:

1988 Yuppie Blues

Living room volume. TV studio. With my '69 335. Should not have sold that one. I lent my Yamaha G100-112 to the harp player so he could get OD sounds at the studio level because we had to play so quietly. Note the matching black pants, white tennies, purple shirts. NOT planned....

Mike

12. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Mike -

Sounds like mine! Great clothes too .....

Man, what great amps!

Thanks, Dana

13. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

FWIW [Kelly amp fans]
    Here's a scan of a page from an early '80s magazine...

[​IMG]

14. billy2cold

billy2cold Member

How do post pix of my Jim Kelley FACS amp?

15. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Here's mine!

[​IMG]

16. Bruceman

Bruceman Member

I went to JK's last sale day. I must have 30 head only brown amp covers. Sold a few on Ebay. Gave a few away. Still have several.

17. pepislang

pepislang Member

That are few of my amps.Jim Kelley FACS and Fender Tonemaster are my favorites!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mikie K

Mikie K Member

Hi Guys,

My first post! Here's a photo of my FACS. It's has 2x10's, a Koa cab, reverb and effects loop-Finally found one after years of looking!

I love the tone with my 335!

Mike

[​IMG]

19. Rick Towne

Rick Towne P&W--Praise & Western--on 6, 8 and 12 strings. Silver Supporting Member

I had one of these as well. The guy to whom I sold it told me he had the other one of two made and he wanted a stereo setup.

20. kingofthestring

kingofthestring Member

I Can't Figure Out How To Post Pics. Help?