Jim Kelly amps - Post Your Pics!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Back in the day, I use to own a early 80's Jim Kelley FACS 1X12 Combo that I bought from Jimmy Muneno at Stringman in Honolulu, Hawaii.
    It was my main rig and favorite amp of all-time, what a great & fantastic amp!
    In 1992 I had it shipped out to Los Angeles, CA and not long after I received my FACS it was stolen from me. That was a very sad day indeed...
    But I've heard that John Suhr and Jim Kelley are collaborating on making the Kelley amps again, that's great news!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  2. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

Here is my buddy's JK FACS amp, when he got it, it was in a cut down 1x12. So I built him a custom flame maple/mahogany head and "D" style 1x12.
    [​IMG]

3. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Absolutely it wont be long !
    Prototype chassis and trannys are in.
    The attenuators as well which work great with any amps.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

John, are you putting out a new FACS amp?

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Which Jim Kelley model did Holdsworth use to track the solo for "Devil Take the Hindmost"? Incredible sound on that...

EDIT: just looked over the thread more closely - it was a Line amp.

6. Liquid Ranger

Liquid Ranger Supporting Member

It was a one off, proto Jim Kelley rack mount Line amp, had opportunity to buy it about 20 years ago...oh well :).

7. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Yup but the single channel comes first
    All this is being done with Jim Kelley as well. Same look , same components,build and name.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Thanks Bob! Hope you're well, man.

9. Phloored

Phloored Member

1. GAS :omg

10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

And wasn't AH's Kelley one of the few with a real master volume? I know this because I read it while sitting on the throne 25 years ago...the place where all wisdom is acquired.

11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

BTW saw my old buddy Jon Herington (Steely Dan) this past summer and he lamented his beloved Jim Kelley which got stolen. He sent me the attenuator about twenty years ago. I have some great recordings of him with the Kelley...tone!

12. kingofthestring

kingofthestring Member

13. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

The MV on the Line amp worked very well considering the era it came out of. Made the attenuator somewhat redundant, IMO.

14. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Hey John,

That is fantastic news! I think I may still have my FACS Attenuator that wasn't with the amp when it got stolen. LOL...

All the best,

Dean

15. boogieongtr

boogieongtr Member

Here is a pic of my stereo rig I had in the 80's. The 4x12 is wired in stereo.
    [​IMG]

And the one I still own. It has the effects loop, NOS tubes and use to belong to Wes Patterson.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  16. honkytone

honkytone Member

Here's my Fortune amp, the protocessor to the Kelley.

I played in a Top 40 band with Jim (and Wes Patterson) in '76-77. In '78-80 I worked in Dale Fortune's guitar shop in Tustin, CA, where Jim started developing his amps. An Ampeg SB-12 amp owned by one of the other guys in the shop was a big inspiration for it. We all loved the power section overdrive, at a time when multi-stage pre-amp gain was all the rage.

As soon as Jim had his first production chassis fabricated I put down a deposit on one, and built mine alongside the first others (including the head he sent to Clapton, which just sold at auction). I did the work myself--punching the chassis, pressing eyelets into the fabric boards, installing all the components--in order to keep my costs down. Techincally I guess mine's about No. 4, though I don't recall that they were numbered. Jim did sign the inside of the chassis for me, though.

I was playing out a lot at the time and would come back the next morning asking Jim about tweaks on the amp. The power attenuator would cut high end response, so we experimented with caps for presence, bright, and mid boosts and put them on push-pull pots on the volume and tone controls of the amp. I understand the new attenuators have a three-position circuit to accommodate for high-end loss.

The cabinet is the original buckskin tolex. Originally it had solid oxblood grille cloth and a JBL D120 on a fixed baffle, which was standard protocol. It had a small lower back panel, but I later added an upper and larger lower one. About 10 years ago I modified the cabinet to accommodate a Fender-style floating baffle (much more forgiving) and covered it in oxblood with yellow stripe grill cloth. The amp originally had brown Dakaware pointer knobs, but I substituted identical white ones when I re-did the baffle.

The power attenuator in the picture is a prototype as well. I later modified it to include a variable line out, an extension output, and footswitch, as the production models had at the time.

There were some lean years there for 6V6 tubes--these amps run them hard--so it was nice when JJ started putting them out. A great, distinctive sounding amp. And one of the quietest running amps you'll ever hear--you can be right in front of it and hear virtually no hum or hiss. I'm proud and happy to have had it all these years, even if I hardly ever play it. These days I seem to need nothing louder than a Blues Jr. or tweed Deluxe.

[​IMG]

17. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Too cool for school!

18. fritferret

fritferret Member

here's mine. facs model, serial number 2.

[​IMG]

19. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

A Reverb Reissue by Suhr. It's hands down the best amp I've ever owned.
    [​IMG]

20. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Killer!