1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Jim K's Arc Furnace...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by J.T. Guitar, May 20, 2011.

1. J.T. Guitar

J.T. Guitar Platinum Member Silver Supporting Member

I have always been searching for that special "Sayce, SRV, Duarte" Texas tone with a strat. The closest I have ever got in a box was the Jersey Girl Fulltender.

The Fulltender however doesn't offer tone controls and hence only works best with certain amps. Jim K (Stk1520 on TGP) however hand made me this killer looking, killer sounding pedal called the Arc Furnace. Killer Texas blues tones and a boost. I can't stop playing this thing. Jim and his partner Jeff (not me) have got a winner here folks!

I was going to try and keep him a secret, but I guess I can tell you guys. :D

If you happen to check one out, tell him Jeff from Colorado sent you. (FYI- I am in no way affiliated with Jim, other than being a very happy customer.)

[​IMG]

2. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Man that's good lookin! I'm taking the plunge as well, will let you know my thoughts when it lands post-Memorial Day.

3. J.T. Guitar

Cool deal Todd, let me know what you think when it gets there. I'm driving the clean channel of my Bludo with it and a 57' CS strat... :banana It drives the OD channel awesomely as well. With humbuckers it has a nice driven blues sound, but it's a tad hollow sounding compared to with the singles.

4. blakemcginnis

blakemcginnis Member

I concur with all of the above. Jim made one of these for me and one for a friend, and they are awesome pedals. I too went from the fulltender to the Arc Furnace and all the things I liked about the fulltender are in the Arc Furnace, PLUS control over the bass and treble boosts, and an added boost circuit. I know it's cliche, but it really fits - this pedal is SRV in a box. Also, Jim is great to deal with, super awesome guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. J.T. Guitar

6. traviswalk

My Arc Furnace should arrive early next week, really looking forward to this pedal and hopefully it will kick a few off my gig board!

7. J.T. Guitar

If you're a Strat guy, I think it will... Curious to see how it runs with the HPD.

8. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

As pedals go, this is the closest "SRV in a Box" I've personally experienced. Granted, I'm not the expert on boutique guitar pedals, but this one has some legs to it. Not tubescreamer, by any means. Its not meant to push an overdriven amp. Its supposed to sound like a pushed overdriven amp when clean. From my perspective, its a good utility for getting close to "that" sound at reasonable volumes and not meant to replace the tubescreamer into cranked Fender.

I was able to get one of Jim's pedals in my hands and did this One-take jam on a backing track. Figured folks in this thread might want to check it out:

Pride and Joy Jam

Sm57 at 45degree angle in front of a JBL E130 speaker inside a homebuilt Vibroverb.

The amp is as low as the volume would allow. Any lower and the sound would just cut out. So its CLEAN. At about 2:30 I turn the pedal off so you can hear the amps sound without pedals.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  9. blakemcginnis

blakemcginnis Member

Sounds great - What settings did you use on the AF?
    Also, what pickups are using?

Great sound and playing, enjoyed it!

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks man,

OD setting in a / \ / \ configuration.

Texas specials with a special "tweak" by me:)

11. blakemcginnis

blakemcginnis Member

I've stared at that for 5 minutes but can't figure out how to decipher it :roll

I like my Arc Furnace in both a light gain setting and a full-gain setting, I'm thinking about modding it to use the "boost" side as sort of a second gain knob that I can crank and A/B between the two. Great pedal.

12. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

funny,

Treble: 2 o'clock
    Bass: 10 o'clock
    Drive: 2 o'clock
    Volume: 10 o'clock

13. blakemcginnis

blakemcginnis Member

Gotcha, thanks! I need to pick up some texas specials some time - it's been on the to-do list forever!

Not to sidetrack the thread, but did you find they help much over the standard US & Mexican strat pickups on chasing the SRV tone?

14. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Not much experience with standard pickups. I was actually using stock '71 pickups for a while, then I got Van Zandts then some other boutiques, and felt I was drifting further away from the sound.

I then got the texas specials and modified them to my taste (reduced windings...I don't use strat pickups hotter then 5.7ohms), and since installing them, I haven't had the urge to change them. Boutique and such tend to smooth out the response to the pickups too much. I want raw and organic. Texas specials seem to have that.

(BUT, the sound of the actual strat itself is extremely important)

15. traviswalk

Damn that sounds great!!! I don't think SRV tone gets much closer and better than that, holy smokes.

16. traviswalk

Mine arrived yesterday, but I didn't get home until midnight so no chance to try it out. Will hook it up tonight for a full test!

17. J.T. Guitar

Looking forward to hearing what you think Todd.

18. J.T. Guitar

Here is a quick clip of the Klamac Arc Furnace in action. I am playing my 61' NOS Cruz MB into the Arc and then into a Bludotone amp. I want to thank Mr. Bludotone (Brandon M.) for playing rhythm in this clip... he is also playing a Bludotone amp. ;)

19. wishkahdaddy

wishkahdaddy Supporting Member

I listed mine if anyone is interested. I don't play single coils and it seems like this pedal thrives with singles. I'm most impressed with it as a gain boost-very nice and thick. In the end I'm just using the natural OD of my two amps so no need for OD or boost pedals for now...

20. J.T. Guitar