Jim Nunis information thread

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by bailnout, Jan 25, 2006.

1. bailnout

bailnout Member

I just posted this to on the Les Paul Forum and wanted to start a tread here to keep those who were wondering about Jim in the know as much as I can.

The original post on the Les Paul Forum by 'FLICKOFLASH' was this:
    "Please say a prayer tonight for fellow guitar builder Jim Nunis & family

after not hearing from Jim for several months, fellow LPF members & I became concerned about his well being. Today I learned from a fellow LPF member that Jim that he has stage 4 Kidney cancer, and that it's spread to his lungs. He's undergoing experimental treatment, which may give him 2-3 years if it works. If not he has maybe 4 months. I'm still in shock about this!!!

http://www.jnunisguitars.com/

jim@jnunisguitars.com

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]O God, our refuge and strength,
    comfort of all who suffer,
    help heal them with your power
    and make them well again.
    You promised that you would
    "turn our mourning into dancing."
    Turn my sorrow into joy,
    and thy weakness into strength,
    through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Amen."[/FONT]

I posted this:
    "Hi Everyone,

I just joined this site because I heard this thread was here and I wanted to comment on it. I'm a very close friend to Jim Nunis and I can confirm for you all here that it is true that Jim has cancer. I wanted you all to know that he appreciates the outpouring of sentiment toward him. He is a very strong and independent individual and isn't used to people making a fuss over him. This makes it very hard to help him sometimes but he is realizing that he needs to let people who care about him help him out during this crisis.

I would like to give you all details on his prognosis but Jim isn't ready to make a public statement at the moment. One will be posted on his website at
    www.jnunisguitars.com when he is ready for that. However, I just spoke with him yesterday on the way to taking him to his treatment and I would like to address specifics about the original post.

1. There is a mass near his kidney that they think is the cause of some other problems.
    2. What has spread to other parts of his body the doctors believe is benign at this point.
    3. He IS undergoing an experimental treatment program but there has been no timelines on life expectancy either way.

To make matters worse, Jim's mother has come down from upstate NY to take care of him but now has learned that she has a medical condition that she will probably have to go back to NY to treat. Jim doesn't have any other family close by, just the friends that care about him.

Jim feels that everything will work out fine but he is going through a very rough time right now. Please keep the prayers and good vibes coming his way. I am putting together a schedule for people to help Jim in whatever ways they can. If you live in the Atlanta area and can even donate 15 minutes a week of your time to just go by the house and let the dogs out, please PM me."

2. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Big mojo and prayers go out to Jim. I have every reason to believe that he'll make it through all this fine. Just one hell of a guy, and the world's a better place because of guys like him. Ill be emailing you soon Wendell.

dave

3. onehandfretting

onehandfretting Member

Thanks for posting this Wendell.

I was only made aware of Jim's condition Monday, when Jason told me he had heard from you. After not hearing anything from Jim for a while we were both getting very concnerned.

I had suspected something bad was going on since the last time I saw Jim back in November. I only wish I had been wrong. We will continue to keep him in our thoughts around here.

If you can PM or e-mail me your contact info, I'd like to see if I can help. I live over an hour from Jim's so I may only be able to get up there every once in a while, but I want to do something.

-Bobby

4. bailnout

bailnout Member

PM sent. Thank you!!!

5. matte

matte Senior Member

My prayers are with him and his family.

6. George Johnson

George Johnson Member

+1 for sure.

Please let us know when he's got it all behind him (soon I hope).

7. bailnout

bailnout Member

Jim's mother has found a good doctor who she feels comfortable with here in the Atlanta area. So for the time being she is staying with Jim until things get back to at least close to normal.

Keep the prayers and good vibes coming. It appears they are working.

8. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

Man Wendell, that is AWESOME!! I cant tell you how happy I am!

9. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

Prayers and mojo coming!

10. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Really sorry to hear this news Wendell. I hope he gets well soon. Positive vibes coming his way from Ohio.

11. bailnout

bailnout Member

I know it's been a long time since I posted any news on this thread but there's been nothing to report that hasn't been said already. But today's visit to the hospital had Jim undergoing x-rays and CAT scans to determine if the treatment he has been undergoing is doing anything.

Jim just called me a couple of hours ago and I'm elated to report that he has had a 30% reduction to the cancer over all. The doctors said that for cases like his this is pretty rare and the outlook is really good. Jim is, for the time being, finished with 5-day-a-week treatments and will be switching to a once a month schedule!

For the most part, it's been the cancer treatment that has kept Jim out of his shop, not the cancer itself. So we are all hopeful that Jim will be getting back out there and working his magic again real soon. I think that Jim getting back to work will really give him more positive energy too which is critical to his recovery.

Thanks to everyone for all of your prayers, good vibes, concerns, and support through this so far. I truly believe that it makes a difference. We aren't totally out of the wood yet but this is absolutely huge!

12. Guitar James

Guitar James Member

Thats really great news, I hope Jim is back to 100% health soon.

13. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

That's great news!

14. drjenkins

drjenkins Member

AMAZING news Wendell!! Tell Jim we're still praying for him.

dave

15. jdblax

jdblax Guest

Im not exactly sure if this is what was said before, but i just got an email today from his website, and this is an excerpt:
    As of today Jim received good news from his doctors and we hope
    he will be getting back to work very soon. When that happens, we will be
    finishing up pending orders. Then we will be assessing the amount of workload Jim can handle before taking new orders and giving quotes and EDDs
    Its really great to hear that hes doing so much better, im sure hes in everyones thoughts and prayers.