Jim Seavall of scumback Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, May 23, 2020.

1. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

So over the last year I have bugged Mister Jim seavall millions of times, asking him what speaker I should get for this Sound or that sound. He was always more than helpful and remains so. To my utter confusion and dismay, he suggested I get some New Old Stock mullard tubes instead of buying his speakers.

He said to try that first then reassess and see if I want new speakers. I was literally calling him to tell him I was about to place an order and to make sure the model speaker I was getting was the best fit for my needs and the guy talked me out of it! he said to trust him and that the New Old Stock mullards would be a game changer, and boy was he right!

I have now accumulated eight of them as well as some amperex bugle boys, and they are truly magical tubes!

Who does that though? Who talks you out of buying their product and recommends buying something completely different? It showed me he cares more about me getting the tone I want then he does getting my business, which in turn makes me want to give him my business even more! Talking on the phone with him and emailing him he is always been very personable, loves to joke and laugh and really makes you feel like you've known him your whole life. Super friendly guy, and a stand-up guy at that!

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, I called him again to tell him now I'm ready to buy speakers from him. I asked what he thought would be the best fit based off of my new tone and what needed enhanced, tamed, etc...... and would you believe it? He tells me not to buy his speakers again! Rather He suggested I tear out the printed circuit board and four conductor wiring as well as the pickups in my les paul!

He recommended I replace everything all the way up to the switch and down to the output Jack. He strongly suggested I go with 500K audio taper pots all the way around and more accurately vintage taper audio taper pots, NOS Sprague blackbeauty /bumblebee tone caps, and braided single conductor wire for everything.

When it came to pickups I named a few I had heard really good things about such as Wizz, throback, Wolfe tone, Seymour Duncan sethlovers or antiquities, etc...he told me that he had tried just about everyone of the pups I mentioned and directly compared them to his real PAF set. He also informed me this was not just any set of PAFs, but the best sounding set out of a dozen or so he has weeded through over the years!

Baffled at his lack of enthusiasm for any of the popular paf style pickup builders I mentioned, I then inquired as to what pickup he does feel enthusiastic about in comparison to the magic PAFs he has. I was shocked to hear his answer was Jim Wagner darkburst pickups.

I had never even heard of them! Surely if they are that good they would have alot of Forum buzz right? I asked him if he liked the Wizz and throbaks as I have only heard great things about them, and he said while he did like them, they didn't have the "IT" factor that the Wagner pups and the real PAFs have.

He recommended I give Jim Wagner a call and tell him about my rig and tone goal so that he could more accurately recommend a pickup to suit my needs. As soon as the name Angus left my mouth, Wagner interjected " the darkbursts". "You want acdc? Go darkburst everytime" says Wagner. So that is the second time I have heard these darkburst pups recommended.

I called Jim Seavall back to tell him what had transpired and he laughed saying, I told u! Reiterating that the pickups that got closest to his magic PAF set were the Darkbursts, hands down!

So once again I call Jim seavall to buy speakers from him and he talks me out of it! At this point I just trust the man and whatever he says. I kept him updated through the whole process of me rewiring My Guitar from scratch, he made sure to tell me everything I would need and how to do it properly...... when all the stuff finally arrived I rewired it exactly to all the schematics specifications and had no sound!

I called Jim frantically searching for what I did wrong, and he said he was just as puzzled as me but tried to help any way he could.

It turns out the Gibson 3-way switch that was came with the guitar, had the hot and the ground switched around so it was the exact opposite of a switchcraft 3 Way or any other three way I have found the wiring diagram for. The hot Was between the two pick up leads and the ground was on the other side by itself, the exact opposite of every other 3-way in the world!

Once I switched those around everything was 100% perfect! Took a minute to adjust to the 50s wiring but now that I have heard the clarity and high-end retention when rolling the volume down, along with the beautifully organic Sprague Black Beauty tone cap fattening up the tone, there is absolutely no going back! It is just freaking extraordinary! It just sounds so hi-fi , clear, and detailed.

I have called Jim since then to thank him profusely for helping me along in my quest for legendary tone, and he always humbly refuses any praise or admiration.

The guy is a sweetheart of a human being, who genuinely cares about his customers needs. He went far above and beyond the Call of Duty! I called him to buy his product two different times and instead he recommends I change something else!

Now, in all honesty, I don't feel that I need new speakers. All the other changes/improvements I have made have carved my tone in to exactly the size and shape I want it. Which just goes to show how serious jim is about getting you the tone you want. He didn't just recommend a speaker and say "well that's the best I do for you" , instead he instructed me to change just about everything else lol!

When I asked him why he talked me out of his speakers and sent me on 2 totally different missions, he answered " because I felt that's what you needed to get the tone you were looking for"

Now I do indeed have the tone I was after. I don't even know that I want to change my speakers because everything sounds exactly how I want it to. But since he went to extreme lengths to make sure I got what I was after sonically, I've decided I'm just going to build a separate cab just so I have a reason to get his speakers!

It's guys like Jim seavall that give me Faith in humanity. Usually Everybody just wants to Advance their own position and agenda, but when somebody sets their own needs/interests aside to help another person, it shows me there are still some solid, stand-up, give u the shirt off their back, types of people out there...... And Jim Seavall is definitely one of them!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    ggwwbb, mrwhipple, lostpoet2 and 89 others like this.
  2. warplanegrey

warplanegrey Member

I’ve had nothing but incredible service from Scumback.

Also:
    [​IMG]

3. john l

john l Supporting Member

Ill chime in on this. I just bought 6 speakers from Jim a few weeks ago and would also say he's one of the nicest guys Ive dealt with and super knowledgable about his products and everything that goes along with him. Im not overstating in any way when I say that one of the best things Ive ever done for my tone was switch to his M75s . I have a pretty diverse selection of amps here and I cant find any that I dont prefer with the them. n

mrwhipple, prodrigu, Shai`tan and 6 others like this.
  4. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

5. truckin

truckin Supporting Member

o_O when the customer service so good it inspires a novel

mrwhipple, JK1965, madloff and 25 others like this.
  6. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

The two guys I've had the best customer service and most pleasant experiences ever buying anything from, or even just talking to, are Jim seavall (obviously) and Jim Wagner (the maker of the pickups seavall recommended)..... Both are just top notch dudes........ If u haven't ever tried Wagner pickups, u owe it to urself get a set, or even a bridge. They are outstanding! Im so glad I trusted Jim Seavall instead of getting what tgp is going crazy over (Wizz, throbak, etc.)....
    The pickups are fantastic and Wagner is just like seavall when it comes to being a stand up Dude!.....

7. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Mullards and Darkbursts sound like a winning combo to me!

There are some good guys out there and both Jims are awesome, for sure.

8. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Mix in a friedman dirty shirley 40 watt head...... And solid mahogany lp with a straight 412 loaded with greenbacks............ It sounds killer man

9. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Gold Supporting Member

Reading this is pure joy, and at these times especially, yeah you are spot on about Jim, Have worked with him a few times and he is definitely a Prince of speakers and a great human being.

10. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

All these guys are awesome! Both Jims and Dave friedman for that matter..... Guy emailed me back several times during the namm show! I Tell u what though Jim seavall feels like a life long friend and I've never even met the guy! I want to Invent things to ask him just so I can bs with him lol

mrwhipple likes this.
  11. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Happy to pile on! Love both Jims...we're lucky to know you guys! :)

12. VICOwner

VICOwner Supporting Member

Jim also talked me into two wonderful M75 65 watt speakers. Wonderful fellow, talked about things on other forums too.
    50’s wiring is the best thing to do for a Gibson Les Paul.
    Mullard I61’s, are my favorite. European 12ax7/ecc83 from the 50’s to 70’s are the best to my ears. I don’t buy any CP preamp tubes Anymore.

13. jchan

jchan Member

For me, M75, J75 and H75 speakers from Jim are the best sounding, right out of the box, speakers you can get. He is a great trustworthy source of information and a fun guy to chat with. Thanks for making great speakers and thanks for some of the best customer service in the business. Rock on!

14. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

When I saw Jim's name as a trending topic, I was afraid he'd died. I'm much happier to read this.
    He indeed makes great speakers.

15. fatbagg

fatbagg Silver Supporting Member

Awesome! I’ve had great experiences as well. And yea, the Wagner pickups are incredible.

mrwhipple and Scumback Speakers like this.
  16. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I'm sure that Jim is a lovely guy, but sometimes a business will gently steer a potential customer away for strategic reasons. That's a fairly common tactic in customer service.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  17. niassist

niassist Garage Rock Star Silver Supporting Member

Well, that was a pleasant read. Seems to happen less and less on TGP. Makes me want to look into both companies.

18. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

Jim and Jim the bookends of great tone! Love those guys

Blue Mel, Phil M, reddog112 and 4 others like this.
  19. big mike

big mike David Grissom Wannabee Gold Supporting Member

:facepalm

I swear people can’t even express their happiness around here anymore without someone thread crapping.

wi3465, Miracle Man, Halsey and 38 others like this.