Jim Weider and Ben Fargen — most cool.

mountain blues

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
5,276
This news came out on the Dealer page, and I just wanted to repeat it because it is so cool.

Jim Weider, an exceptional Tele player who has worked with so many great musicians over the years — such as The Band, Bob Dylan, Los Lobos, Doctor John, and Taj Mahal — as well as authoring a great line of instructional videos, has chosen to endorse Fargen Amps. I have been a long-time fan of Jim Weider, and have learned a lot from his videos. Jim Weider is an authority on the great classic amps in his own right as well as a master of Tele tone, and is having Ben build him a custom amp.

I am also a big Fargen amp fan, and feel that Ben is simply one of the best amp builders in the business today. I just want to congratulate Ben — whom many of us respect a great deal — for this latest recognition of his talent as an amp builder.
 

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
16,398
Wonderful - Jim's a beautiful player and Ben seems a great guy...
 

procos

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
5,348
I've been thinking about getting another Blackbird. Wish I would have never sold mine.:( Anyone know where it is? Serial # 018?

Chuck
 

PaulE

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,390
Jim's a terrific player and a great guy. His Remedy album has some great guitar tones and playing on it .He's playing Saturday night at The Townecrier in Pawling NY-holds about 75 people. He's got Jesse Gress and Sid McGinnis playing with him. Sid plays in Paul Schaffers band on the Letterman show.Jesse Gress is just atotal monster. I Love watching Jim's band -just a buncha guys making music and having a good time.
 

pokey

Member
Messages
3,068
Originally posted by procos
I've been thinking about getting another Blackbird. Wish I would have never sold mine.:( Anyone know where it is? Serial # 018?

Chuck
I have it. :)
 

A440

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
4,722
PaulE probably remembers the last Philly guitar show. Jim was trying out some amps at the Black Creek booth.

no matter what he plugged into, he made those amps sing. if I recall correctly, he tried out the two rock sig and a dr Z ? maybe a carr. they were all there and they all sounded good :)

lookin' fwd to the new fargen model!
 

edgarallanpoe

Member
Messages
1,453
Big Kudos to Ben. I own two custom Bordeauxs and they are the best amps I have ever heard/owned. Congrats to both parties involved.
 

fullerplast

Senior Member
Messages
6,781
Jim is a great guy and great player! Definately in the BF Fender camp in general, but always searching....He's had some excellent sounding hot-rodded BF Deluxes. I'd like to have heard his Two Rock experiments. My guess is that they may have been just a bit too compressed for his style. Looking forward to hearing his Fargen. Jim's got some real nice guitars too!

 

straticus

Member
Messages
3,101
Big congrats to Ben! He's a great guy and he builds some great sounding amps.

I love my Bordeaux more now than I did the day I brought her home.

BC :)
 

Blindspot

Member
Messages
5,680
I saw Jim play last night with David Sancious in a gig showcasing the history of the blues. Jim played his Fargen signature amp, and it sounded wicked. He told me it was one of the first (or maybe the first) outing of his signature Fargen amp. I have a feeling this is going to be a popular amp as it seems to have great flexibility and a great array of tones.

David Sancious smoked, by the way - though he is primarily known as a keys guy, he is one awesome guitarist, and a great vocalist as well, and Robbie Dupree on vocals and harp was great as well.
 

Peppy

Member
Messages
6,900
Blindspot said:
I saw Jim play last night with David Sancious in a gig showcasing the history of the blues. Jim played his Fargen signature amp, and it sounded wicked. He told me it was one of the first (or maybe the first) outing of his signature Fargen amp. I have a feeling this is going to be a popular amp as it seems to have great flexibility and a great array of tones.

David Sancious smoked, by the way - though he is primarily known as a keys guy, he is one awesome guitarist, and a great vocalist as well, and Robbie Dupree on vocals and harp was great as well.
Ah, David Sancious. Would love to see him live. Bought his first solo effort (right after he left Springsteen over thirty years ago!) and it holds up to this day.
 
Messages
277
mountain blues said:
This news came out on the Dealer page, and I just wanted to repeat it because it is so cool.

Jim Weider, an exceptional Tele player who has worked with so many great musicians over the years — such as The Band, Bob Dylan, Los Lobos, Doctor John, and Taj Mahal — as well as authoring a great line of instructional videos, has chosen to endorse Fargen Amps. I have been a long-time fan of Jim Weider, and have learned a lot from his videos. Jim Weider is an authority on the great classic amps in his own right as well as a master of Tele tone, and is having Ben build him a custom amp.

I am also a big Fargen amp fan, and feel that Ben is simply one of the best amp builders in the business today. I just want to congratulate Ben — whom many of us respect a great deal — for this latest recognition of his talent as an amp builder.
Hi Geoff,

Thanks so much for the kind words and support.
Here is a recent live recording with the new Fargen JW-40 signature amp. This is a great song called "The Maze" off Jim's new album percolator.

http://www.myspace.com/jimweiderband


Thanks,
BF
 

Robert1950

Member
Messages
3,379
This is second bitchin' axe player I've discovered on TGP today. I can't believe he's playing a tele on MAZE !
 

Unburst

Member
Messages
4,215
Peppy said:
Ah, David Sancious. Would love to see him live. Bought his first solo effort (right after he left Springsteen over thirty years ago!) and it holds up to this day.
"True Stories" is one of my fave albums of all time.
 
Messages
8,093
I've run into Jim a couple of times at a gtr shop in Portland, Me. and at a gig I was on in Mass. Swell guy. Anyone got that "Classic Fender Sounds" video he did? How high is he on that? Out there where the buses don't run (not that there's anything wrong with that...). I wonder if Happy (Homespun) supplies the herb when you do one of his videos? Woohoo!
________
Toyota Alphard
 
Last edited:

Jimetti

Amazing Tone Is Incredible, In The Right Hands!
Platinum Supporting Member
Messages
828
Jim Weider?

Fa-ghet-da-bou-dit...so they say in my native tongue!

You won't find a nicer guy...certainly an inspiration to me musically and a definite source of direction and motivation in many other endeavors.

Just don't loan him any RCAs or Mullards----as I have yet to find a way to distract him long enough to do the "quick swap" when he isn't looking!

Suggestion?

Find a way to catch Jim's show with Rodney, Mitch and Steve...bring a bandage for your chin...when your jaw drops on the floor, you'll need it to stop the bleeding!

I mean it!

Mark.
 

jpervin

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
7,585
musicofanatic5 said:
Anyone got that "Classic Fender Sounds" video he did? How high is he on that? Out there where the buses don't run (not that there's anything wrong with that...). I wonder if Happy (Homespun) supplies the herb when you do one of his videos? Woohoo!
I've got that DVD. Jim does seem a little..."off". :rotflmao
 

PSaulino

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
1,364
Peppy said:
Ah, David Sancious. Would love to see him live. Bought his first solo effort (right after he left Springsteen over thirty years ago!) and it holds up to this day.

One of my favorite albums of all time. Bought it in 1976 and I still have the vinyl. ALso have the cd that was in release for a very short time. I also have the second and third albums as well.

P.
 




Trending Topics

Top