• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jimi Hendrix at Woodstock: His Gear, His Life at the Time

JasO

I've always loved Jimi Hendrix's music and was thrilled when James "Al" Hendrix asked me to co-author his memoirs, "My Son Jimi." For me, Jimi's Woodstock performance was one of the defining moments of the 1960s, especially his spontaneous rendition of "The Star Spangled Banner." In honor of the 40th anniversary of Woodstock, I've written two articles I'd like to share with tgp readers.

This first one traces what was going on Jimi's life leading up to and including Woodstock, from his bust in Toronto to the disbanding of the Experience to his escape to Africa to Woodstock itself:

http://jasobrecht.com/jimi-hendrix-woodstock/

For all you gearheads, here's a companion piece that details his Woodstock gear setup and what's become the world's most prized celebrity-owned Fender Stratocaster:

http://jasobrecht.com/jimi’s-woodstock-setup/

claudel

Silver Supporting Member
Great stuff.

Jimi@Woodstock is just about my favorite set by anyone anywhere anytime...

DWB1960

Wow. Didn't know you were a member here Jas. I've always dug your work.

Great stuff!

Tricks

Great Stuff Jas, have bookmarked your site, a lot of good reading to be had. And great seeing those old Guitar Player magazine covers.

Sub City

Silver Supporting Member
Hi Jas; wow, some great articles! have your site bookmarked now; thanks a lot! :dude

Sub City

Silver Supporting Member
“500,000 Halos . . . .
outshined the mud and History.
We washed and drank
in God’s tears of Joy,
And for once . . . and for everyone
the truth was not a mystery –
Love called to all . . . Music is Magic.
As we passed over the walls of nay
Hand in Hand as we lived and
made real the dreams of peaceful men –
We came together . . . Dance with
the pearls of rainy weather
Riding the waves of music and
Space – Music is Magic . ..
Magic is life . . .
Love as never Loved Before . ..
Harmony to Son and Daughter . . . man and wife.
–Jimi Hendrix

karmadave

Gold Supporting Member
I'd read a bit about Jimi's Woodstock performance (and own the DVD), but your articles definitely provided more insights. Thanks!

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks Jas! Your stories very much show Jimi (& Duane) as very human, going way beyond the media image stuff. It is good to know they had insecurities & problems like the rest the rest of us (tho they could sure make music!)

Jamar

Silver Supporting Member
I always assumed that Jimi used an echoplex at woodstock too. Listening to the woodstock improv track, I always thought there was a looped high string section in the middle on the tune (around the 3:06 mark) that he played on top of. I could be wrong. Anybody know?

Top Bottom