• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jimi opening with Mr. Fantasy

msteeln

First time hearing this for me, and while the audio quality sux the quality of the performance doesn't

Like someone commented, it must have sucked to write a killer song and then have Jimi not only cover it but melt it. Flip side, I'd give anything for that to suck for me. He doesn't melt the Capaldi tune but it's cool to hear his take, and it's very rare to hear him do it, let alone open with it.

CrackTheSkye

One of my favorite songs. Nice to hear Jimi's take on it. I'd love to hear it in higher quality but I'm still digging it. Thanks for posting.

Betos

First time hearing this for me, and while the audio quality sux the quality of the performance doesn't

Like someone commented, it must have sucked to write a killer song and then have Jimi not only cover it but melt it. Flip side, I'd give anything for that to suck for me. He doesn't melt the Capaldi tune but it's cool to hear his take, and it's very rare to hear him do it, let alone open with it.
The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper and a day later Hendrix opened with it, and with them in the audience. Sir Paul was thrilled.

~Betos

drewl

Just like his Sgt. Pepper cover, he's not "melting" anything, just covering simple songs with simple chords very loosely.

It's not like you couldn't learn that in one listen.

It's great that he is jamming on something new he just learned and obviously dug.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Gold Supporting Member
Does it get better as the song progresses? Love Jimi, love Traffic and Dear Mr. Fantasy is one of my have Traffic tunes, but that was painful at the start. I couldn't get past him starting to sing.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, very cool, never heard that. Thanks for the link.

I've always loved the Big Sugar version. Here's the studio recording with live images:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom