1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Jimi 'Wind Cries Mary pick-up' on Strat what comes close..

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Dylan61, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

3. JohnK24

JohnK24 Member

Fender CS '69 pickups...that'll get your Hendrix zone.

4. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

being that he used a (black?) '63 strat for most of that first record (1966) I would say "a '63 strat!"

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

With out getting into specifics, any low to moderately low output strat neck pickup will get you close. The CS '69's are a good start, but my CS '54's are nice too. Too many factors involved to be specific. I can get close with any strat neck pickup. Amp, touch, attack, cables, mics, even recording console will factor into the recording.

6. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Thanks,

I can get some Kinman AVn series pickups, 56 - 56 -62, would this be a good start?

7. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I'm sure someone will steer you away from Kinmans, but I really like mine. They're probably not authentic enough for some tastes, but they'll sure get you in the ballpark. I like the improvements, such as less noise, less string pull, proper unwound G stagger, etc. Hendrix wouldn't have played "aged" pickups, so consider that. Are you typically more likely to complain about ice pick than cutting through? I love my Woodstocks, but I do like 'em spanky!

8. trisonic

trisonic Member

Bill Chapin wound two Strat P'ups specifically to get this sound for me - they are very useful for a variety of tones. You can see the 'Houla they are on on the "Destroy all Guitars" site under Chapin then Custom it's the Fiesta Red one with the reversed bridge P'up.

Best, Pete.

9. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I play a Strat loaded w/ Custom Shop 69's through a Marshall 1959 SLP.
    When I play "The Wind Cries Mary", the tone is spot on to my ears.:AOK
    Peace,
    Mass

10. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Member

kinmans are nice, but they don't sound like strat pups to my ears...they're way too smooth

just a different opinion

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

12. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Only ultra-magic pickup made for no one will get you there :)

13. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Supporting Member

But, I have a '63 strat and I don't sound like Hendrix...:confused:

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Kinman pickups are great low noise pickups, but they do sound too smooth to me. A little too hi fi, if you will. If you want something that's a great, real even sounding pickup for a "perfect" sound the Kinmans are great.

There are several Dimarzio Virtual Vintage styles to choose from. They're a lot less $ than Kinmans too. My VV T's in my tele sound way more authentic than my buds Kinmans in his tele. Mine have more bite and more twang. A little rougher like a Tele should be IMO.

15. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

16. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

17. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

No you were told it was a 1963 Strat.But you will be a lot closer with a set of SR's-listen to Wagner's clip-it's pretty darn close.I have my set almost a 1/2" from the pickups and to my jaded ear(35 years as a pro/semi-pro),it sounds like a '56 Strat...Are you the second coming of Hendrix,because if you are,I wanna ticket to the next gig.Depending on the height they're set at,the SR's will do anything from '54-'64(also depending on what kind of tone cap you're using).They are well made,well shielded, and have the tone you are describing.

18. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

"Are you the second coming of Hendrix,because if you are,I wanna ticket to the next gig"

When it happen I will think about you:AOK (to open some doors or to carry my guitar if you like)

19. steveb

steveb Member

It's more about "how" it's played. Plug a decent guitar with a single coil neck pu straight into an older low wattage Fender amp turned up a bit, & it should be very close. But, it's how you attack the strings, & how your fretting hand reacts that makes the most impact on sound.

Steve

20. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You can hear the Kinman Woodstock set by listening to any recordings of Pink Floyd at Live 8... Gilmour's strat was loaded with them at that time (not sure if he kept them). See if you like 'em. Those would be the AVn69's. Sounded pretty strat-like to me ;)

-Ben