• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Jimmy Bryant.. This is how its played.

neoprimitive

Jimmy Bryant and Speedy West, these dudes wrote the book in my book..
this is how a Tele is played. No questions asked.. this album Stratosphere Boogie is still light years ahead of its time, a lesson in itself, and such fun happy songs and playing.
http://youtu.be/mKxEMIxhLqc

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Speedy and Jimmy are very important to me. I didn't find out about them until Guitar Player featured them on a flexidisc (Stratosphere Boogie), but I've been hooked ever since. I've spent a lot of time studying the playing of Speedy and Jimmy.

Both Speedy and Jimmy also made great records without each other, too. Speedy's "Guitar Spectacular" had great musicians on it, like Billy Strange and Roy Lanham, but just phenomenal compositions, and Jimmy's "Laughing Guitar, Crying Guitar" has some really cool stuff on it, and what doesn't sound like a Telecaster to me.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
I've got a few cool live recordings with Jimmy and Buddy Emmons and Jimmy with Curly Chalker. Jimmy was a hot picker, but he had great ears and knew his way around changes in a natural way.

I have a tape of Jimmy talking about his career and his influences, and he said his only real influence was Django Reinhardt. Also, he was mainly a fiddle player in his early days. Going to try and dig that stuff out.

Saw Speedy at the Scotty's conventions I went to in the 90's, by then he had a stroke or something and wasn't playing. Wore a big rubber glove on one hand. But he was having a ball throwing towels on people's heads! Thanks for the Youtube link!

Steve73

Speedy and Jimmy are very important to me. I didn't find out about them until Guitar Player featured them on a flexidisc (Stratosphere Boogie), but I've been hooked ever since. I've spent a lot of time studying the playing of Speedy and Jimmy.
Yeah, me too. That was my first exposure to Speedy and Jimmy. Before the days of the internet and Youtube, it was really hard to find this kind of stuff. So much great stuff to borrow from transcribing these guys.

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Speedy and Jimmy are very important to me. I didn't find out about them until Guitar Player featured them on a flexidisc (Stratosphere Boogie), but I've been hooked ever since.
That was the first time I'd heard of either player, too. This was at a time when everyone thought that Yngwie and Al DiMeola invented shred guitar.

Those GP Soundpages were cool!

Top Bottom