Jimmy Herring - Jazz is dead tone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laxrappa11, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

does anyone know more of his rig than the h&k od? i just cant get enough of that smooth-as-hell lead when he rips it up

2. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

straight from his website for that era (he's pretty famous for panning/blending between amps):

Jazz Is Dead: Guitar/s: PRS Archtop

Amp/s : '76 Marshall JMP (50w), '73 basket weave Marshall cabs with 25w greenbacks, '64 Fender Shoman

Effects: Ernie Ball A/B pan pedal, Ernie Ball volume pedal, Ibanez Tube Screamer

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I have a few JiD discs and I don't think it's always the PRS. Might be, but I'm not sure. I think I hear a strat from time to time (he's fond of them). Or, could be a rotary.

4. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

damn hes not even usin the h&k? ive never heard a tubescreamer come anywhere close to herring's tone. does he have any mod caps on his amp or anything?

5. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

Jimmy is a long time user of Tubescreamers and I know a few of them are Analogman mods I believe...I agree that his strat was probably in the mix some, but remember, that old thing has Seymour Duncan 59's in it half the time...

I can get close to his JiD tone with my Super Reverb and a Tube Screamer...the main thing is to go for his feel and technique more than his exact pedal setup...he picks almost everything ala Steve Morse, not a lot of legato there...alternate picked pentatonics with some passing tones thrown in...for instance, in E min, combine the Em pentatonic and D Major scale and you can hit a lot of the Jimmy stuff...

6. radcliff

radcliff Member

but he's also a huge holdsworth fan as well, so dont leave those large interval scales out:)

JID period is PRS and 50w Marshall....but I'm not sure how he's getting such nice gain, much have the TS set to boost

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Cool thoughts. Not denying there is alot of alternate picking ala Steve Morse, but I do think Jimmy uses a bit of legato stuff though (He calls it shuffle picking?).

8. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I don't disagree...but a lot of MY favorite tracks with him involve a lot of alternate picking...plus, one of my best friends is an ex-Herring student and I watch what he does a lot and it's eerily close

9. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

:dude

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

Def a great tone in JID, my favorite tone of his is Frogwings and PL&F so far!

11. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

its so funny when people can't believe that a good player gets killers tones from perfectly ordinary gear. It's so much easier for them to believe that there's some "secret" weapon that you can just buy and you'll sound just like 'em.

No, a TS into a marshall really is all you need for killer tones. Not working for you? Keep practicing!

12. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I completely agree...I saw the EJ video posted on Harmony Central and laughed when I saw someone comment "His gain just got unbelievably smooth and buttery but I didn't see him step on a pedal, how does he get that gain!" and he couldn't believe that yes, you can get that tone by just running a Marshall on 10...

I ran a 50 watt 67 Plexi and a tubescreamer for years and can guarantee you can get these tones from that...I ran an Aiken Intruder 30 and a Bad Monkey and got the same tones...It can be done...it has been done...for longer than most boutique companies have been around! YMMV

13. HHB

HHB Member

I played a show w/ JH and Project Z , a super reverb, a volume pedal, a tube screamer and an outboard fender reverb, amazing! funny moment during our set, I turned around and Herring was sitting on his amp behind us and gave me a thumbs up and got the crowd going, maybe the nicest guy I've ever encountered, surly one of the best players I've ever heard, Jimmy is gold in every way!!!

14. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Jazz is Dead rocks!

15. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I loved the tone on the Blue Light Rain disc especially! His lead tone is liquid.

Brian

16. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I've stolen a lot of licks from that album...especially his solo on Red Baron

17. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

yeah that whole dark star > red baron jam is pretty nuts

18. coxswain

coxswain Member

Jimmy Herring is soo unbelievable. Tone, chops, tastey phrasing...he's got it all. I especially love the weather report songs they did on blue light rain was it? I can never remember the names of the songs or albums but that band seems to find the sweet spot everytime.

19. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member