Jimmy Murray 10 min Method - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Dylan61, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

2. brad347

brad347 Member

hm no... but I'd suggest you listen to the clips on the page and decide if that guy inspires you enough to want to use his 'method.' :)

3. DrSax

DrSax Member

10 minutes??!! Who's got that kind of time? Does he want me to be an old man before i can play the geetar???

4. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

I can save you the $29.95.

It is obvious from Jimmy's sound clips that the key is to use a lot of delay in front of a distorted amp.

The first clip sounds like he took his method literally and stoped learning at 10 minutes. The second was a bit more involved. :dude

I didn't watch the videos, so maybe I prejudged this method.

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

6. vinceh

vinceh Supporting Member

Now that's TONE.

7. rickboot

rickboot Member

You know how everyone thinks they sing great in the shower?

Well I think Jimmy is playing in the shower.

8. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

I noticed his method must be to increase the reverb on the amp, that probably takes a couple minutes, tell them to get a chorus pedal, would take up another couple minutes, couple minutes to explain keys, couple minutes to explain scales, and a couple minutes on the pentatonic to use that all the time.

9. Noone You KNow

Noone You KNow Member

I don't know, if it makes 1 first year guitar student sound somewhat better, inspiring him to stick with it instead of taking up "guitar hero"- it'll have done it's job. Probably useless for most of the people here, but I think it has its merits. Although "how to get a decent tone" is not one of them. This dudes tone sounds like someones killing cats, the SPCA is probably going nuts.

10. marko

marko Member

pretty much pre-judgement like you said. i have heard the dvd and i have played with & heard the man in person. but 10 minutes relates to learning a 9 note pattern that can be moved and applied to any major or minor key on the neck. just gives you a good starting place to actually play a lot of stuff until you have learned all scales, modes and patterns known to man and a g'tar god in your own mind.

11. jimmymurray

jimmymurray Member

Marko,
    Thanks for your comments . Did we play in Greensboro?

Regarding the other comments. Thanks also. I agree, those two takes on the homepage of my site are not appropriate at all. WAY too much effect!
    lol...I had just gotten a Fulltone TTE and a Destination Rotation..... So I was OD'ing I guess.

I am going to put some better cuts up. I thought the comments were actually funny as hell. I would ask that you guys cut me slack this time and listen to some more when they are posted.....I'll be posted here as well.

OR

For those of you who took the time to be critical or not be.....
    drop me an email with your mailing address. I'll send you a DVD.
    Pay only if you like it......
    jimmy@jimmymurraymethod.com
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    7-8-08 UPDATE...
    Do to the popularity of my "FREE OFFER," I will have to stop sending "free or Free Trial" offers as of this posting. Thanks to the many that took advantage of this offer.

However,
    I offered this to the Les Paul Forum some time ago....

So I thought I'd extend the same to Gear Page Members for a limited time. It's normally $29.95 but for my "Friends Offer" it's $15 + shipping.( if needed) $19.95, unless picked up.

If you are not familiar with the DVD , it describes a fool proof and easy way to learn to solo......quickly. There is a 30 minute interactive DVD, Backing Tracks CD and a 11x17" poster. Billy Cox helped me shoot and produce it.

The DVD has been selling pretty well and has been shipped all over the US and a few countries like, Australia, Norway, the Netherlands, Germany and England.

The Link to the friends page is:

http://www.jimmymurraymethod.com/special.asp

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  12. jimmymurray

jimmymurray Member

Hello All...
    Naysayers and friends. New examples of my method at work are up my home page.
    I invite your auditioning these.

Darthelvis, Austinrocks, Rickboot, Jackaroo, Gigbag,Dr.Sax, since you guys took your time and effort comment negatively, why not try my method for free. That is, unless you truly have nothing left to learn. I'd sure like to change you opinions.
    Just email me. jimmy@jimmymurraymethod.com

13. mike walker

mike walker Member

I once asked a new pupil of mine 'how long do you practice each day?' '12 hours' he replied. 'Wow!!' said I, 'how do you divide that time?' "well' says he. '5 mins on maj scales, 5 mins on min scales, 5 mins on arpeggios, 5 mins on chords, 5 mins on satriani solos, 5 mins on paul gilbert ex's, 5 mins on and on and on.......
    His first lesson was to take down some james brown guitar rhythm and play along with the tracks all week. Boy was he happy when he came back.

14. jimmymurray

jimmymurray Member

Mike,
    I agree. If you go to the roots of the music you can blossom. I'd much rather hear someone play simply and soulfully than give a technical exposition.

That's what my method "trys" to do. Teach simple basics that are easily injested and retained so that player inside is able to emerge.

15. mike walker

mike walker Member

16. soniq7

soniq7 Member

Jimmy,

I actually thought it sounded pretty good, however I was wondering whether its too late to talk some smack in order to get a free disk?

Soniq

17. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Guys, somehow this question of my is going to live a life of it's own...

I posted it as a honest question about if someone did try Jimmy Murrays lessons as think it was interesting, thats it, not to sable the man down or something else.

I agree his effects might be a 'bit heavy' but I could look trough that and wasn't thinking it was that bad at all.

Jimmy, I realy like your site and lessons, keep up the good work.

Take care,
    Dylan.

18. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

fair enough, its hard to know about a method when your ignorant, and there are certainly things that I could learn, or I could recommend the method to posters. So I will email you Jimmy and you can enlighten me to and with your method.

19. Dylan61

Dylan61 Member

Jimmy, I have received your email, just send my addy in return, looking forward to your DVD, thanks.

Dylan61 - Keith