Jimmy Page - How we wrote Stairway

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Great clip. Thanks for posting. I especially loved watching Jimmy reflect as he listened to the song. Really tells you how connected he is to the entire process and period of his life.

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Cool, i liked it......

There was a picture of present day Robert Plant somwhere on the site, and I swear he looks like Ian Anderson! Ian was never good looking so no one notices he got old. Robert looks a LOT different now.

DWB1960

"Living at Headley Grange. Eating, sleeping, making music....."

And Stairway came out.

Just watching the needle come down on the vinyl, with the Atlantic Records label spinning, was enough to make this too cool.

Thanks.

(still the greatest rock song guitar solo of all time.)

CharlyG

Play It Forward
Silver Supporting Member
Yup, the old record player....... When I was living offbase with 3 Navy buds(71-72), we would put a stack of LP's on this old stereo console at night, but One guy always stacked the deck. The last album would just play over and over all night, and it was Madman Across The Water. There are some good tunes on that LP, but I can't listen to it anymore. We wore out quite a few Zep albums in that apartment!

45RPM

Thanks for posting this. Great to hear what was in back of it all. The vinyl sounded nice, especially in the intro. Saw them a couple of times. Just amazing. Cannons for drums.

Empros

Great clip!
Stairway, as overplayed as it is, is still just absolute genius on every level.

Coldacre

that was nice.

although a bit silly how they kept cutting to a close up of the label and the cartridge sitting in the run out groove. still, them kids won't pick up on that :D

ZeyerGTR

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Overplayed though it may be, I still don't turn it off if it comes on. Great to hear some back story for it.

les

Platinum Supporting Member
Such a great tune, really nice to hear the story behind it...

I saw that the other day. Always good to hear JP's perspective.

The Andy Johns interview is interesting—good stuff there. I was surprised to hear that LP was used for the solo.

aman74

Silver Supporting Member
Yup, the old record player....... When I was living offbase with 3 Navy buds(71-72), we would put a stack of LP's on this old stereo console at night, but One guy always stacked the deck. The last album would just play over and over all night, and it was Madman Across The Water. There are some good tunes on that LP, but I can't listen to it anymore. We wore out quite a few Zep albums in that apartment!
All these years later it's still worn out for you? I hope that doesn't happen to me. I get burnt out on stuff, especially when I couldn't avoid classic rock radio, but I take a break from it for a couple years and then it's usually better for most things.

gmann

Well Jimmy says Fender XII and a Tele, Johns says Rick 12 and a cherry sunburst Lester. I wonder who is right.

Fezziwig

Silver Supporting Member

Could the lyric "spirit" be alluding to this... ;)

I honestly don't hear any real melody in the guitar part for the Spirit song. It's just descending chords. If there is a melody it is played by the violins with their swells.

There is counterpoint in Stairway. The melody on the high E string actually ascends as the bass is descending. Not sure why people think there is even copyright infringement here, not to mention the lyrical melody that Plant came up with.

Last edited: