Jimmy Page live tone (TSRTS) : OCD vs. ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Thames, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Thames

Thames Member

Hi dudes,
    Happy new year everyone! :BEER

Im into a zepp tribute band, and "its been a long time since I" changed my drive pedal(s) setup. I run a Rangemaster (Don Butler aka toneman) into an OCD v1 for my Page TSRTS tone. I really dig the tone and it suits perfectly, but I'd like to know if there's a pedal that would do the same, but only 1 box instead of 2 stacked.

I could use the OCD alone, but the lack of mids makes it a bit shy sounding, and is not cutting that well with my '67 Superbass,even with MIDDLE knob turned all the way up.

I love the Rangemaster "midrange, vocal snarl" it gives.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

The Foxrox ZIM pedal is a double-pedal with chooseable "Zimcards" for the sound you want. Especially the "B" channel, I was SO struck by this pedal, because the very first thing I thought of...."this is a BOX of Led Zep here".

Honest. I played along with I and II, and the way it is setup (don't know if you've seen one?) with the cut/boost knob, and the "Mode" is you can dial in so many of those classic sounds, fast.

And I'm a little miffed now because of mail asking about zimcards just got thrown in the bin (I wanted to buy at least 3, but...)
    but still, this is THE Led Zep pedal to my ears.

I have never yet played an OCD. I Plan on getting one, but Zim can get the things I hear on I and II anyway.

3. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

I'm a late arrival to the OCD club...got a v3 several months ago and Jimmy Page like sounding was the first things I thought about it. I run mine with the gain from 10 to 11 oclock into a Timmy at low gain.

4. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

this is the problem with the OCD- it has too much low end and not enough mids when the drive is turned up. You are right Thames- jimmy's live tone has a whole lotta mid-range in it. I can get that sound with my aiken invader , but unfortunately haven't found a pedal that nails it.
    The closest I have gotten is with pedals that have adjustable mids- the barber small fry or direct drive (with a mod board) can do a good job, because you can EQ them until it gets there, although it won't be quite as 'toothy' as the real thing, but it allows you to dial in the right gain level, mids, presence, bass, etc. which is a big help.
    If I were doing a zep tribute I would do it just like jimmy, crank the amps and play with the volume control, since I wouldn't have to get other sounds all night except that sound.
    But in a pedal, I would try any good drive that simply have an adjustable tone/mids circuit, and go from there.

5. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

hey you might want to try the newest version of the OCD. V3 has more mids and it just may do the trick. It has less high end sizzle compared to V1 but with the treble booster you should be fine. I know you are hoping to find that sound in one box but I actually have a pretty good time playing Led Zep tunes just with the OCD alone.

6. Paul Parrish

Paul Parrish Senior Member

Nahh, all problems associated with old v1,v2, v3 OCd's...just try a NEW ONE, perfect bottom, mids, top end.

Paul Parrish

7. BassPlayerJosh

BassPlayerJosh Member

The Skreddy Screwdriver was designed to be the Page in a box tone. I would look into that.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

Skreddy screwdriver or the BYOC tonebender clone.

http://www.buildyourownclone.com/bender.html

The screwdriver has alot more control over gain and tone and the bender was certainly a pedal Page made use of back in the day along with Jeff Beck, Mick Ronson and many others.

The Bender sound is epitomized on these Bowie/Ronson classics:

suffragette city
    ziggy stardust
    moonage daydream (check out the solo too)

To cop early Zep I would use either one of these fuzzes with a tele instead of an LP.

9. PlexiFuzz

PlexiFuzz I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Another vote for the Screw Driver.

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I was gonna say Tonebender as well ^^

I use an HBE Germania into an FD2 into a TopHat Emplex and it nails the TSRTS/Celebration Day sound :) Two pedals though.

11. afterburner

Page didn't use a tonebender or any other fuzz on TSRTS if I'm not mistaken.

the OP is trying to cop Page's live tone... which is more of a cranked Marshall sound.

12. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

He's def using some kind of "treble-booster" on TSRTS.

13. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

yeah, my "duh" 1-pedal setup for jimmy page was a fulltone soulbender. Its not quite accurate to Jimmy Page's later setup, but it still sounds pretty damn good and it allows you to cop some serious page tones.

also, think about the Zvex BoR.

14. Sol

Sol Member

Get the Marshall Guv'nor, the old one, this with a Marshall or an AC30
    will get you VERY close to Pageys live sound.

Whenever I do a gig with this setup with the Marshall JMP 50 and Marshall Guv'nor I always get at least one guy come up and say"Wow, thats a vert pagey tone there !"

This is with a Gibson Les paul of course, the pedal is still really easy to find by the way, so well worth giving it a try IMO

15. Sol

Sol Member

I wanted to add that best results with this set up is when you have the amp just breaking up, using the Guv'nor with the gain fairly low and level up

16. mattmccloskey

mattmccloskey Supporting Member

well, the newest versions are v3, are they not? I had both v1 and v3, and although v3 had stronger mids than v1, it still lacked the mids and had too much bass when played through a clean amp set for a nice big clean sound. I could dial in more mids on the amp to compensate, sure, but then the clean tone becomes too nasal and flat.
    If I crank up my aiken invader through a greenback (ali-panel NMV marshall circuit), it has more midrange and less bass than when I set the amp clean and used the OCD for the dirt, so from my perspective, the pedal lacks the mids I would get naturally from the amp when overdriven.
    I can't speak for the results of other rigs/tastes obviously, but this is my experience in direct comparison with the amp drive and other pedals.
    Perhaps the newest OCD's are a v4??

17. Paul Parrish

I've been saying this for a month or so, Yes.
    Distinguished by the addition of a Germanium diode visible near the clipping Mosfets. I assume there are other changes, because the mids are velvety.

Paul

18. Paul Parrish

arrrgh, did I just say "velvety?"

19. afterburner

any chance you have a picture of what this looks like? I want to open mine up and see which version it is.

20. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Fro the Song Remains the Same era... Page just had a wah and switched on the Echoplex (short repeats) for solos...check out Black Dog on the reissue version.