Jimmy Page: Out-of-phase LP tones

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by teddy boy, May 21, 2006.

1. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Gents,

Can you advise me to any good tracks with Jimmy using the out-of-phase tones on his LP? I'm thinking I'm hearing a lot of that stuff on Presence but I can't be sure. Does the track Hots on for Nowhere feature this? Atleast it has a nice strat tone come in to complement the LP. Presence is a great overdub album with superb tones IMO.

2. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I believe he started experimenting with OOP duing HOTH and onward, more prominently on the later albums... you're guess is as good as mine on which tracks though... the guy was a genius in the studio and for me it's so hard to tell what is just recording guitar/amp or just studio wizardry at the board... I'm pretty sure D'yer Makr and Achilles were OOP guitar...

3. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

The solo on All of My Love sounds out of phase to me.

4. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Although the song writing may not be up to bar on presence theguitar tones are unbelievable. I really like the cleanish LP sounds he has there mixed in with the trebly strats. Alot of the LP tones seem to be with both pickups on, sounds superb!!

Does anybody know how easy it is to install an out-of-phase switch on an LP? I have a 2003 Standard with BB´s. Can you install a push-pull pot for this function or does it have to be a mini-switch?

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

6. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Thanks Luke,

I wonder if they make the kit for guitars that require long shaft pots such as my LP?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Get all of the soundds of the Jimmy Page Les Paul. Kit Includes: four(4) 500k Push/Pull Control Pots, one(1) 3-Way Toggle Switch, one(1) Switchcraft Mono Jack , two(2) Capacitors and Wiring Diagram. Use this kit if your guitar does not require long shaft pots.[/FONT]

7. Luke

Luke Senior Member

8. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

9. TwoGeez

TwoGeez Member

I think that's actually a tele with a B-bender...