Jimmy Page Sundragon ~ !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by paulvcarter, Jan 22, 2019.

1. NatGardner

NatGardner Member

Exactly. If EVH came to my house he could grab my worst guitar and my Marshall ms2 ( he would up the power supply to 11 volts DC ) and sound like EVH. JFC does Jimmy need the money?

2. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

Its funny how salty some people become because something is out of their price range. I’d love one of these amps but i simply cant afford it. But thats no reason to start petty claims such as a fraud, too corporate, etc.

Kudos to the designers and to the lucky owners. Its a fantastic project

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Who has tried it? Show me the clips and testimonials.
    How do we know the company sold all 50 units. Show me the prof.
    The web-site for this amp is a disgrace. It reveals absolutely nothing. It's all shrouded in mystery. I'm surprised so many on this forum have bought into this nonsense.
    https://www.sundragonamp.com/sundragostory

This entire thing reeks of nothing more than a sales-hyped-up attempt to stir up interest in a Supro-clone that shows a picture of Grandpa Page standing in front of what appears to be a one-off wannabe Supro.

You want the real thing?
    Buy a real Supro.
    https://suprousa.com/

soldersucker likes this.
  4. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

Someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

Grandpa Page? Sheesh.

Page's signature looks quite different than it's been in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  5. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

What's the problem? They wanted to build a high priced clone of a famous amp. The new supros are totally different from the old ones.

If you can't afford their clone, buy an old white stripe supro. I picked one up, refurbished it and modded it slightly. It does the JP thing for me, sounds great. Colby makes great amps and has a great rep. Maybe someday he'll share the secrets behind the supro, maybe not. Totally up to him and JP, doesn't impact any of us

6. Hilltopper

Hilltopper Member

At least it's an amp. Even if it were a box of frozen waffles with Grandpa Page's signature on it I'd be interested (but probably still not be able to afford).

7. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I would love to hear a good demo of this amp. Until then, we can only imagine how it sounds.

RAG7890 likes this.
  8. bluesmeanie

bluesmeanie Member

Maybe because I don't consider Page a demigod, I can see this both ways.

1. There was a lot of research & development went into this, and that equals resources (money). The high price is in part to recoup that R&D cost.
    2. It's overpriced, period, R&D be damned.

I have no intention of getting one, even if I had that kind of coin to spend on an amp right now. But if you've got the coin, and the inclination, go nuts! (And post a demo for those on the fence.))))

9. MichiganEsquire

MichiganEsquire Supporting Member

"Dislike."

SDB, LPMojoGL and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  10. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Mitch Colby says they will be releasing an unsigned version of the Sundragon amp, that will cost less, but will have no NOS parts like the expensive ones, sometime later this year. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

11. EL84 Abuser

That all 50 will sell extremely fast says otherwise.

12. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Sold out in 48 hrs, the man said.

Did Greta Van Fleet get one?
    It makes me wonder... ;)

13. EL84 Abuser

Does it really make you wonder?

14. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

Can’t wait to try out the production model of this.

Just listened to 4 Sticks.
    While it would be great to snag a certain Page amp tone, it would be much greater to attain some of that song-writing magic.
    How cool would it be if Page, Plant and Jones got together and discussed the creation of each song. Like a weekly podcast in the format of Tone Talk, where they pick a song and just talk about. I can imagine the stories and different recollections that would come out of something like that.

wntbtw, fernieite and Echoplexi like this.
  15. JonathanPierceBand

JonathanPierceBand Member

I played a colby amp at summer NAMM last year and it was the best sounding amp in the whole place.

I’ve played every amp out there including every version of Supro new and old and I can tell you Colby’s Namm amp was better than any supro and I am excited about him being in charge of recreating JP’s amp.

Obviously you can’t afford 12500 and you are salty about it. It’s ok dude.

RAG7890 and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  16. EL84 Abuser

You need a new bed.

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

Sig violin bows.

ETA: @chappy beat me to it. Damn.

paulvcarter likes this.
  18. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

I attempted to get one. A few hours after I saw the initial release post, I called the number on the website and left a message. I received a polite return call (that also went to my VM) a few days later from @Mitch Colby saying they were already sold out, but a production version would likely come later. At that point the price hadn't been released though, so I don't know if I would've been able to swing it or not as I was expecting something in the $5-6k range. But I think the price is whatever people are willing to pay, so good for Mitch/Jimmy.

Edited to add for @70' s Tone : I think Mitch wouldn't have told me they're sold out on day 1 or 2 when I called if they weren't. So I absolutely believe him.

19. JonathanPierceBand

JonathanPierceBand Member

Look sport, I’ve owned Supros, they are good amps in the $500-$1200 range. Hell, I met David Koltai at Namm last year the same day I met @Mitch Colby , it’s in my Instagram. But my favorite amp that day was Mitch’s amp.

My opinion isn’t highly suspect, you’re used to $500-$1,000 amps. I play $6000-$15,000 amps, I literally bought Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd 1959 Bassman, pics in my Instagram you fool. I’ve played before the biggest names in country/pop/rock music, so quit running your mouth online.

I tried to buy a jp sun dragon a month ago. Mitch took my call, said they were still sold out and none cancelled but the regular ones would be out later this year. I couldn’t wait so I bought a two rock sss for $6500. Supros are no Two Rock. Two Rock sold 25 of 25 John Mayer amps at $9k, but you probably didn’t know that.

Not sure why 70’ s tone can’t fathom that the best guitarist from the worlds best band, in the entire world finally releasing his signature amp could sell 50 at $12500. Other than you’re just ignorant.

Why so butt hurt 70s tone???

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Stevie C. and EL84 Abuser like this.
  20. disconnector

disconnector It's been swell, but the swelling's gone down. Silver Supporting Member

Ouch.