Jimmy Page

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by flavaham, Jan 31, 2012.

1. flavaham

flavaham Member

I occasionally mix it up and just try to play like a particular guitarist for a bit. Right now I'm on a Jimmy Page run. Has anyone here locked down any of his stuff? What are some good songs to transcribe to really get a feel for what he does (did)? I took a look at "Since I've Been Loving You" because the intro and first solo just destroy face! He doesn't go far from the minor pentatonic, blues and natural minor scales through those two sections. It's strange though; as much as his playing has been criticized for being somewhat sloppy, when I slowed this one down, I really feel like he means every damn bit of it! The man was a wizard in my opinion!
    Anyhow, if anyone has taken a crack at his work I'd love to hear your take and advice.
    Thanks!

2. townsend

townsend Member

3. huw

huw Member

As a large part of Page's style involves the frequent use of the selector switch, vol & tone controls can I suggest looking at a live version of the intro to Over The Hills & Far Away for a crash course into those particular techniques.

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

His work is varied and wide-spanning. Nothing wrong with learning what you are drawn to. SIBLY like most slow blues tunes is a tough one to re-create accurately, but doable. He does make the changes in that one, something the pentatonic guys don't get. There's an element of sloppiness when he plays faster that he really can, but it doesn't bother me. He's the best.

Most of his solos are around the same level of difficulty. I'd probably start with the solo from "Whole Lotta Love" or "Ten Years Gone." I'm working on "Achillies Last Stand" now, it's pretty close, but a couple of licks need some refinement.

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

It's integral to SIBLY as well. Great use of the selector and volume knobs.

6. Elektrik_SIxx

Elektrik_SIxx Member

Besides the obvious ones, some already mentioned here, I really like Good Times Bad Times , Communication Breakdown and Nobody's Fault But Mine for solos that have the essential Jimmy Page feel.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. Powderfinger

Powderfinger Gold Supporting Member

Very interesting use of bends is a trademark of his style to me.

8. Zexcoil

Zexcoil Vendor

I've studied Jimmy pretty closely on and off through the years. More on lately, I'm doing a project where we cover Physical Grafitti and we just had our first show two weeks ago.

Some solos that haven't been mentioned yet but come to mind as being "signature" would be:

Stairway - obvious? Perhaps, but required reading none the less. It really is a great example of his solo structuring. That's one of the things that defines his solo style for me.

I'm Gonna Crawl
    Sick Again
    Black Dog

That switching between minor and major scales that you got from SIBLY is integral to most of his best stuff. I'd also concentrate on really getting the subtlety of his voicings and note selection especially on the fast runs (I'm still working on that stuff, sometimes it's so sloppy it is really hard to nail). Like, try to grab all of the fills in Houses of the Holy for example. The live stuff is good to get a better handle on what's in his "bag of licks".

For riff-y rhythm, try Black Dog, Out on the Tiles. Then there's the mellower stuff and the acoustic side....

9. anderson110

anderson110 Member

Good Times Bad Times is approachable and has a lot of Jimmy-isms.

10. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Don't practice. And I mean that. I knew a guy who wouldn't pick up his guitar for 6 months and he'd play stuff like Heartbreaker solo to the T, through a plexi stack when he did pick it up. It sounded perfect like Page was there. I couldn't do it like that at all, I was to into playing or trying to, play each note cleanly. I couldn't wrap my head around that loose sloppy, care free right hand style, it was the antithesis of what I had worked at. I mean, how do you practice that? You don't.

It really makes you realize, it's all art.

11. Manicstarseed

Manicstarseed Member

lol budda.... kinda true.

i realized that i know oodles of zeppelin....

Jimmy, to me is a master riff-maker...
    living loving maid is easy... learned the song and solo within the first year or two on guitar.

Moby Dick is also approachable and classic.

bring it on home... lots of classic page...

12. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Yeah Jimmy Page is the Riff King. Man he wrote some great ones.

13. dustinblatnik

dustinblatnik Member

Players like JP inspire me a ton. Not only was he a fantastic guitar player, but he was a creative and innovative player that developed and showcased techniques we still use today!

Here is a video i put together a while back for one of my students who was trying to get the "Stairway" solo up to speed. It's a very slow version, with some small variations from the original. I hope it helps :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDuouuVSjMM

14. RBfan

RBfan Member

Check out Blues Anthem, from Outrider, his way-under-appreciated solo album from the late '80's, I think.

In particular the solo - it has that classic, bluesy, Page thing (one of many styles at which he is proficient) complete with some signature bends. It's pretty slow & not hard to figure out, but will take some work to sound anything like him...

T

15. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Page was right on before his heroein stint! And man I never seen anyone play that 12 string the way he did in TSRTS song from the soundtrack!

16. Manicstarseed

Manicstarseed Member

That was an eye-opener from the standpoint of I am realizing that JP is the single biggest influence in my playing.... so much so that I am now keenly aware of the difference between influence and admiration.

I was reading this and saying... this is how its framed for me. now i know why.

thanks

17. monty

monty Member

See if you can find the back issue this lesson is from. It is actually a snippet of it. LMK if you need the month/year, I always have that issue close by.

18. monty

monty Member

Oops, just noticed there is a page 2. The electric lesson is all there, but there was another one that was acoustic too.

19. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

20. corbs

corbs Supporting Member

Page is the reason why I play the guitar.

How the hell does he play it slung so low ?!?! :huh