Jimmy Page's comments about amp used on Whole Lotta Love

GabbiCthulhu

For anyone looking for the Vox UL730 (the amp it probably was, scrolling through the thread), Aclam has made a copy of the preamp it in pedal form. It was also used by The Beatles around Revolver and Sgt. Peppers:

johnnyjj

For anyone looking for the Vox UL730 (the amp it probably was, scrolling through the thread), Aclam has made a copy of the preamp it in pedal form.
Unfortunately it's stupidly expensive and increasingly hard to find - even more so now! For my money, the KOT can be twiddled to do most everything the Dr. Robert does.

GabbiCthulhu

Also, probably depends on where you are in the world, but I found the Dr. Robert in stock at quite a few stores. It’s not cheap of course, but it wasn’t like it was only scalpers selling it.

But I’ll get back how the King of Tone does in a two years or so!

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
For anyone looking for the Vox UL730 (the amp it probably was, scrolling through the thread), Aclam has made a copy of the preamp it in pedal form. It was also used by The Beatles around Revolver and Sgt. Peppers:

Very cool, didn’t know something like that was out there. I did pick up a those organ made super Beatle head this year knowing it needed work, but that so far has been understatement. Not expecting to get whole lotta love tones from it, but we will see, it does have lots of options.

johnnyjj

Also, probably depends on where you are in the world, but I found the Dr. Robert in stock at quite a few stores. It’s not cheap of course, but it wasn’t like it was only scalpers selling it.

But I’ll get back how the King of Tone does in a two years or so!
Although I've owned one before, I got on the list for a new KOT in July...2017. Still haven't received the 'Golden Email' yet, so I'd say the wait time is now 3 years+ (likely due to Covid).

teemuk

What's that other amp head (not the UL Vox) on top of the other Transonic. ...And weren't those actually self-powered cabs?

teemuk

If you look at UL Vox preamp schematic objectively it basically features just a (hard) diode clipping distortion followed by a simple T-notch mid-range control and active bass & treble controls. There's really more finesse in a Gorilla amp with "Tube Crunch" effect and I'm not even joking. But I understand such things weren't around in the days of The Beatles, Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin.

That thing was hi-tech though in early days of transistorization and back then there weren't yet many guitar amps providing distortion at controllable volume level. That trend was just starting with fuzz boxes and all.

Nevertheless, that these amps get so revered today by probably the same people who recommend to clip off diodes from JCM900's or plug straight to all-tube amps for distortion is quite ironic.

Last edited:

I have one of these and it took a long time to find one, and it was stupid expensive. BUT. I love it. Even before this post came around. Highly recommended !

slavenoid

Silver Supporting Member
I have heard the use of ‘super Beatle’ applied not only to the solid state Thomas Organ Co. amp that carried that model name but erroneously imho also to the Vox, England built 100 watt AC100 tube head. ??? Could that be what they were calling a super Beatle?
The Beatles did tour with these Ac100s at Th end of their touring, as I understand it.
I have heard the use of ‘super Beatle’ applied not only to the solid state Thomas Organ Co. amp that carried that model name but erroneously imho also to the Vox, England built 100 watt AC100 tube head. ??? Could that be what they were calling a super Beatle?
The Beatles did tour with these Ac100s at Th end of their touring, as I understand it.
I used a Super Beatle head (solid state with multi buttoned footswitch) through an Ampeg 4 x 12 cab with Altecs in 69-70. Super loud and super clean and pedals were verboten as Marshalls were becoming popular. With an LP custom wide open the only sort of break up I could get was with the MRB (mid range boost) footswitch on. I remember its light being red, and there were other colors for other effects.

Trending Topics