Jimmy Thackery

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jmadill, Feb 16, 2009.

1. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Man ... don't know how I missed this guy, but he is a monster on the guitar!

If you haven't already, check him out.

I'm listening to Jimmy Thackery Guitar right now, which is a collection of his instrumentals.

Any other recommendations?

-jm

2. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

+1
    We cover Sinner Street.
    Very fun tune to do :AOK

3. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Listening to Roy's Bluz ... could have sworn it was Roy Buchanan.

I was turned on to him by XM Radio's Bluesville station. Heard "That Dog Won't Hunt" but "Jimmy's Detroit Boogie" sold me.

-jm

4. Category 5

Category 5 Member

get his new live album, and solid ice for starters, then inside tracks, true stories, etc. He is in his songwriting prime now - talked with him for an hour today, still cranking out new tunes.

One of my Guitar heros and a friend

DOnR

5. big mike

big mike Administrator Staff Member

Good stuff. I forget the name of the album...but I dig the tune 'Sell the bitch's car'.

I think it's cool guitars...I dunno.

Good stuff.

6. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Discovered him on AOL Free Radio...Electric Blues Station, excelent player another great player I discovered on this station was Albert Cummings!!!

7. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

The only man I've ever allowed to play a guitar solo while sitting in my lap.

I got turned on to The Nighthawks when they played "Little Sister" on the old Bill Tush show in the early 80's on WTBS. I've been a huge fan ever since.

Be forewarned, Jimmy plays ferociously loud live.

8. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

the Nighthawks were a DC based band and I grew up there and saw them many times

I spent many a evening , leaning up against some wall - with blood shot eyes and a down jacket that spelled like bong water , watching Thackery just tear it up at local basement and backyard parties. Pretty influential to me as a 15 yr old kid

He had a cool 60s strat that was blocked at the trem and had active pickups ( EMGs maybe - or actually Bardens I think ) and what looked like huge frets and he played LOUD - but it sure sounded great to my eardrums

9. Ooogie

Ooogie Member

He's got some great stuff out with Tab Benoit, they did a live album together awhile back. I think he's a regular on the Blues Cruise too, I'm going to have to go do one of those things someday. Here's a great clip from one of the cruises of Jimmy and Tab tearing it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXAH3WVhhwg

Mark

10. Category 5

Category 5 Member

there is some more of jimmy on the blues cruise with reba russel under the video section of our site. levi prayer and sister friend are great, and the audio is pretty good on these.

DonR

11. Strat

Strat Member

After hanging around the Nighthawks in the 70's I played a couple tours with him in the 80's and he is the real deal. I've covered his version of Mercury Blues for years too. He's just plain great and deserves a wider audience.

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

In the late '70's my band played just down the street from the Nightcrawers in either Silver springs or Georgetown, I can't remember which. I dug the band but wasn't that knocked out by Thackery, if I remember right he played a Flying V when I saw him. Years and years later I saw him with his own band in Montgomery, Ala. and what a difference. It was like he'd been to the crossroads. I saw no resemblance in style, tone, substance, anything. He totally knocked me out. I could hardly believe it was the same guy. I've got all his stuff with the Drivers.

13. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

"I'm gonna sell the Bitch's car, and buy myself a COOL guitar!"

14. FREELESSONSNOW

FREELESSONSNOW Senior Member

Pickup his HotLicks instructional VHS tape if you can find one.

15. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Good player, but his tone is way too processed for me, especially on that Whiskey Store Live cd. Maybe its just really processed compared to Tab's Tele into a BF amp...

16. jumpnblues

jumpnblues Member

Jimmy's kinda' made his bread and butter playing blues rock the last several years but he's quite capable of playing very tasty straight blues. Great technician on guitar too. And, yes, he plays loud...not one, but two dimed Twin Reverbs when I saw him. Ouch!

Tom

17. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

Thackery is just an all-around badass. And his tone is some of the best I've ever heard since he started using those Category 5 amps.

18. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

You guys should have been around in the mid to late nineties to see Jimmy burn every house down. Also Jimmy and Guitarzan were very good friends and I was at a few shows where they both killed. Jimmy was and is the man...!:RoCkIn

19. cadduc

cadduc Member

saw him in denver about ten years ago after some friends told me about him, he and the band did three smokin sets

i am on the west coast and we are just not that exposed to him, friends of mine east of the mississippi have been talking about him for years

20. scottlr

scottlr Member

The Nighthawks used to be a regular show here in the early 80s. Great fun! Jimmy was also very approachable. I bought him a beer during his break at one show.