JJ 6V6's in a Super Reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gnarlly, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

I love my Deluxe Reverb, especially the spongey feel from 6V6's. 6L6's are ok, but I much prefer 6V6's. I've read reports that the new JJ 6V6's are more similar to small bottle 6L6's, can take a lot more power/abuse, and I've even read one review of someone using them in the Fender Hot Rod Series amps (Hot Rod Deluxe, Blues Deluxe, etc.). Anyone tried them in a Super Reverb (or SRRI)? Think they would hold up? I'm looking for around 30 watts of power, and think this might be an option. Thanks.

2. hasserl

hasserl Member

Yes, you'll want to bias them up properly when you install them, but they should do just fine there. Not sure what the power production will be though, that's a good question. I think I'll try this also and find out.

3. stratton

stratton Member

You might drop Bob at Eurotubes a line too.

4. go7

go7 Member

Or you could try 6L6WGB and re bias. It will give more clean headroom.

5. stump

stump Member

Tried them in my Super and they worked fine. The amp broke up earlier but sounded real good. I went back to 6L6GC for the headroom.

6. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info.

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Won't the output impedance change with the 6V6s? Wouldn't you want to double the speaker load to keep the OT happy?

8. jay42

jay42 Member

That could be done -- switch off two of the speakers, but it's still a Fender and therefore pretty forgiving of mismatches up or down. I believe that mismatch issues are greatest with EL-34s because they can generate internal voltages which exceed their real max limits. Less so with 6L6, 6V6, et al. BBQ makes an impedance matcher if the OP wants max headroom with the 6V6s.

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

To keep it properly matched a 4 ohm output becomes 8,8 ohm output becomes 16. ie: 8 ohm amp-16 ohm speaker. I dont believe the mismatch will hurt the OT though as Ive read quite a few posts of guys using the JJ's without matching the impedance and having no problems. Also from what Ive read the mismatch would be harder on the tubes than the OT. Could be wrong but thats what Ive dug up.

Really dig the JJ's in my EL34 based Rivera Chubster I must say! Bob

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

You'll get an impedance mismatch, but should work fine. You'll probably half your output wattage too. I ran a quad of JJ 6V6-S tubes in my JCM 800 and they sounded basically awesome.