JJ 6v6's opinions please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sdgvintage, Dec 29, 2005.

1. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

I have had it with em personally. Don't know if its my bad luck or what, but lately my last 3 pairs that I have gotten have been a big disapointment. They make so much noise in a deluxe vs NOS tubes.

Can anyone recomend something else current production that is better?

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I use loads of them, zero problems. Try a different tube dealer.
    BTW, what kind of noise are you getting?

3. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Background hum. Doesn't happen with other tubes. Might just be my luck.

4. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

They'll only hum if they don't match, find another tube dealer.

5. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Any recomendations?

6. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

7. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

+1 on what Roccaforte said. JJ's shouldn't hum more than others unless unmatched. They will sound a bit different than NOS however, closer to a 6L6. They work very well in Deluxes.

What are your bias readings when you install them? You should already know how well matched they are.

In addition to the tube dealers already mentioned, forum member Blue Strat is a tube dealer (KCA), and right in Va where you are located.

8. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Great (10), I just ordereed som JJ/Tesal 6v6s. Lol. Oh well, I guess i'll hope for the best.

9. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Wow, I've had a bunch and only one bad tube so far. And no hum issues, either...go figure...time to get a better matched set going. Good luck!

10. tommyg

tommyg Member

I got my JJ preamp tubes through Eurotubes. Tell him what amp you have and he'll match them; he matched mine perfectly!

www.eurotubes.com

11. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Actually in the last amp I never got a chance to check the bias with the jj's, I had it all set and biased a few days before with a pair of GE's I put the JJ's in when I got them in and turned it on. About a minute later they went back in the box.

I am thinking I need to just buy them from other places that specialize in tubes vs places that sell everything.

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

My amps are cathode biased so checking the bias isn't something I do on tube swaps...just swap and go. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't your Deluxe need the bias checked/adjusted when you swap tubes?

13. fullerplast

Your bias could have been way off. They almost certainly will not be biased the same as your GE's. Go back to square one and set the bias properly before you draw any conclusions.

Did you buy them as a matched pair?

14. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

Sure did

15. fullerplast

Then if and when you do get the amp biased properly, you'll know if they are indeed matched.....

16. myles111

myles111 Member

These tubes from my view have proven to be very reliable and are the strongest of the current made 6V6 tubes. They sound a bit more like a 6L6 than a 6V6 to me.

They handle very high plate voltages. As an experiment, in a Super Reverb (a 6L6 amp) we took a duet and ran at 28mA at 465B+ for over two hours with no problems just to see what would happen. They held up.

17. Shea

Shea Member

Do they work properly other than the hum?

Although I've had some audible heater hum from using unmatched tubes, it was never so loud that I thought the tubes were defective.

I wonder if there could be a problem with the pins on the JJs not making good contact in the tube sockets. I read on another forum that the pins on JJ power tubes are a hair smaller than other makes. That has jibed with my experience - the JJ 6V6s that I put in one of my amps were kind of wobbly until I retensioned the sockets.

Shea

18. myles111

myles111 Member

I have had no hum issues if the tubes are matched.

19. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I bought a pair of the JJ/Tesla 6V6 tubes from Lord Valve, not long after they were released. He burns his tubes in before matching them, so they pretty much stay matched.

No hum problems at all.

I like them a lot. Very robust sound for 6V6 tubes. If you want tubes with a 6V6 vibe though, you might not like these. The new Tung-Sol 6V6 tubes have a very good sound, and also have a good 6V6 vibe IMO.

"fullerplast" is right on the money IMO. The JJ/Tesla 6V6 tubes have a 6L6 sound.

Pete

20. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

I'm running a matched set of the JJ 6V6's in my '59 BMRI & so far I love 'em. As others have mentioned they do apparently handle higher plate voltages than your run of the mill 6v's and my amp tech said they specced out just fine. They also do seem to have similar characteristics to 6L6's, but at least in my case run at a lower power so they break up sooner. I don't notice any more hum than before either so who knows what's up in your case. So far though I really dig 'em. :)