JJ 6V6's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Red Planet, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Is it me or are these just the best 6V6's you've ever played. Even Compared to NOS.

I admitt they aint really like 6V6's. More Like little Miniature 6L6's bot not quite the Bottom.

Man these are good tubes. :AOK

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

What are you playing them in? Your Tweed?

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

Yes indeed.

BTW I tried to call you back but the Boss Lady done ahad a hold on you. :D

FYI On the Strat I think I paid 1 grand for it before Taxes so maybe just under 11 after.

4. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

jj 6V6s- great tubes in a Gibsonette GA-8, better than NOS RCAs I replaced! Bass response is great.

and for a new amp, the Germino Club 40. Sound great in that amp. That amp comes stock with EL34s but the JJs lower the watts to around 25 and sound sweet.

5. rooster

rooster Member

That's what I use in mine, too. Great stuff.rooster.

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

I prefer them to EH and GT by miles in my Valvetrain Champ clone...never compared them to NOS.

7. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

The JJ's are the only reason I can offer any 6V6 amps at all! Great tubes, plus they handle the plate voltage and sound great at a very reasonable price. They kick the butt of most NOS tubes that I've tried "except" old RCA's, Raytheons and Gibson brands...but you have to realize that at $12 per tube street price for the JJ's and $25-50 each for the NOS tubes, that you're drawing a line in the sand based on your wallet and tonal needs. If I had a vintage amp, and was selling it, I'd go NOS..but since I don't and have to have a reliable supply of 6V6's, the JJ's are the only way to go.

8. raz

raz Member

Nice to hear this. My new Jack Anderson 20 Watt has JJ's in it and it sounds killer.

Gotta get some to try in the Flexi.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I think they are great tubes, very durable and a good value.

I don't think they are the best choice tonally for every amp however. Some of the sweetness and smoothness of a good 6V6 is lost in the tradeoff IMHO. I don't like them nearly as much as NOS in my ODS30 for example, but they are great in a BFDR to add some tightness.

As has been said before, they are more of a 6V6-6L6 hybrid in terms of both tone and durability. If I were selling production amps I'd use them in a heartbeat. However, if you are simply trying to optimize a particular amp, use your ears. Not every amp will benefit from them.

10. Shea

Shea Member

I do like them. I think they crunch like an RCA (at least one of the later ones), but with a bit more bottom end.

But I'm not really wild about the higher headroom, because the whole reason I like 6V6s is to get overdriven tones at low to moderate power.

Shea

11. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I use them just about anywhere that calls for a 6V6, even though they really are not a 6V6. They can take a serious beating, and never complain.
    They do hold together better than all the rest including NOS 6V6 tubes,
    however the compression associated with other 6V6 types is not there.
    No problem with that on my end, I like having options.
    I haven't had one failure with the JJ 6V6, and I tortured them real good when I got samples a while back. Its a great tube.

12. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I agree they arent really 6V6's but they dont sound exactly like 6L6's either. One of the things I like about em is how they handle more voltage than your avrerage 6V6.

To me they stand above any 6V6 out there. Me Likey. :dude

13. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I agree!

14. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I agree too!

15. pedalcr8z

pedalcr8z Member

Hello. Just bought a Victoria 5112 two weeks ago and it had the Groove Tube labelled JJ made 6v6 and according to the factory, they felt that it is the best sounding 6v6 on the market including NOS....they tried them all.:cool:

16. raz

raz Member

So what is different between the JJ's and other 6v6's? And if the JJ's arent really a 6v6, what are they?

17. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I just got my new Clark Beaufort yesterday and Michael Clark is using JJ's also. They sound great! Really full bottom. Of course, now I am going to have to try some NOS to see if there crunch earlier, but I do look the high headroom the JJ's are giving me.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I'm sure Doug or someone else can answer this better than I can but the JJ 6V6's arent really like any other Tube I've ever seen. Possibly there was a Soviet Tube that this was made for. I dont know the history of this Tube so I'm just geussing. To try and answer your question - its allready been said its like a minature version of a 6L6. If you compare it to any other 6V6 NOS or Current Production there isnt anything like it. I believe someone told me all 6V6 are dsigned to run off of no more than 350 Plate Volts and the JJ's will take as much as 500.

I do know that they will take 485 Volts cause last night I biased up a Quad of these in my 100 watt Plexi and they had no issues. My hope was to knock down the Wattage and Loudness of it but it did not work. There was no difference in Volume. Now I didnt measure it but just listened but there was no difference.

I was trying to duplicate what the Germinos do with em but there must be a trick to it cause it was the same. I wasnt sure what to set em at so I biased em up at 18 ma 485 Plate Volts. I was expecting it not to be as loud but there was not any difference in the volume. I imagine that maybe that big iron is gonna push it through no matter what. :BOUNCE

19. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Keep in mind that builders and manufacturers have slightly shifted priorities than an individual amp owner. They would rather have 10 "very good" sounding amps using robust, cheap, consistent tubes than spend hours and big bucks sorting through NOS tubes with spotty availability to get 10 absolutely spectacular sounding amps.

An individual can spend to time and money to do better than "very good" if he just has one amp to worry about.....as always, use your ears. YMMV

20. Pappy

Pappy Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Clark Kanee Reverb which came with JJ 6v6s. The amp also came with an Eminence Ragin Cajun 10" speaker which sounds great. I've also tried the amp with NOS Marconi 6v6s.

The JJs have a lot of headroom and a big, solid low end. They make this Princeton clone sound a bit more like a mini Twin reverb. If I turn up the amp to 7 with these tubes I get a big, slightly distorted tone that still retains a solid low end. From 8 to 10, the amp suddenly gets very distorted. It's almost like they fight to stay clean and then suddenly give in. I find that I prefer running the amp at 7 and using pedals with the JJs. I played a classic rock gig last weekend using this setup and got a great tone with plenty of volume. It definitely did not feel like a small Princeton Reverb amp with a 10" speaker.

With the Marconis, the amp has noticeably less overall volume. With the amp set to a clean tone, I have to turn it up at least one number higher to achieve the same volume as the JJs. Unlike the JJs, the amp gradually gets distorted as you turn it up with the Marconi's. At 7 or 8, I got a very cool "Sticky Fingers" tone ala Keef that I really loved. Unfortunately, the low end was also much looser. I often turn down the volume a bit on my guitar and use my Tele's neck pickup to get a sparkly but pushed blues tone. The low end mushed out way too much for me to do this with the Marconi's but it worked great with the JJs using a Hellbilly for more dirt. Also, it was more of a struggle to keep up with my band volume wise with the Marconis.

In conclusion, I love both kinds of tubes for different reasons. I've got the JJs in there now because they allow me to use the amp in more situations. I'm definitely keeping the Marconi's, though, for recording and those times when I need to channel Keef.