JJ EL34II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ToneKing, Apr 6, 2015.

1. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Just wondering if anyone has tried these, and if so, what do you think of them?

2. davebc

davebc Member

I haven't tried the 2's, but if it helps for reference JJ E34l's came loaded in my Carr Bloke;
    and that amp they sound really good.
    The Bloke can get aggressive very quickly and they strike me as in your face with great detail and chime when set clean.

By contrast I threw a pair of JJ's regular el 34's in my Regal ABing them against my real nos Mullards
    They were a huge disappointment, flat, muddy, no detail, dull, lifeless.

NO comparison between real Mullards and the straight JJ 34's. It wasn't even in the same universe.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I like them, tight and punchy.

4. GT100

GT100 Member

Hopefully they don't sound dark and dead like the E34L does.

Lloyd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Thanks for the replies. I am running a set of jj e34l's in my plexi at the moment and although I like them I was curious as to whether or not the jjel34II would be a little more vintage sounding.

6. davebc

davebc Member

I was really taken back at how dark sounding the regular JJ34's sounded..
    It sounded like someone threw a heavy blanket over my amp..

I read (although now I'm not sure I can believe anything I read) that the JJKT77's sound really good.

Sorry to get off topic.

The only way to really know is pay the price for admission.

7. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Those early JJ EL-34Ls do sound great when overdriven though. I listened to them next to the El-34b and while the b was much nicer clean, the JJs ruled when cranked to OD. The cleans of the JJs were sterile sounding but if one cranks their amps a lot then they may be the right choice.

8. davebc

davebc Member

I still can't get over the difference after a-b-ing them against my real Mullards.
    I thought/expected/hoped they might be even a little similar...
    But they were not..

9. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

You are a very fortunate man to have the nos Mullards. :drool Those would be great to have but are pretty much made out of unobtanum nowadays. I woludn't mind spending a little on some nice preamp tubes, though.

10. Gemini2

Gemini2 Member

Never tried the II's. I did have a set of the L's in a boutique plexi clone. I later replaced those with a set of standard EH el34's which I liked better.

11. Pleximan

Pleximan Member

I've tried the EL-34 and E34L JJ power tubes. I much prefer the EL-34's for what i do. I really like the reissue Mullard EL34's that's my go to tube. I hope the EL-34II tubes are more EL-34 than E34L. The E34L are just to bass, and low mid range. No balls, or edge to that tube in a Marshall circuit for me. A very neutral tube. They are good for Numetal or Blues, and clean stuff. The E34L tubes remind me of a KT66 more than a EL-34 tube. The JJ KT66 are sweet. I had those in a Budda Super Drive 45.

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

KT77's do sound good.

IMO the 'El34' to get from JJ is the 6CA7.

13. ToneKing

ToneKing Member

Can you elaborate on the JJ 6CA7's?

14. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Only heard them in 100 watt marshall's but they sounded like they should. Not earth shattering, just a good solid tube.

15. davebc

davebc Member

Ha ha. Truth is I bought them years ago and stashed them, along a ton of others.
    As crazy as this sounds I probably will try to score another set even at these
    insane prices.

Maybe it's only a matter of time before someone gets close to old Mullards. I just haven't experienced it yet. But I have an open mind..

16. davebc

davebc Member

Thanks Big Mike I'll give them a try asap.
    I've really been on a tube jag lately, nos, and trying some of these new power tube offerings.

17. Miracle Man

Miracle Man Member

I'd love to hear more about the JJ 6CA7, so if you get them, please report back :wave

18. davebc

davebc Member

None available locally unfortunately. I might just bite the bullet and grab a pair of Siemans. My disappointment with the JJ's has me wondering if any current
    production 34's can come close to capturing the magic of the originals.
    I realize I havent tried them all. The JJ e34l's sound very good in my Carr Bloke

Here's a upbeat thumbs up. I did pick up a pair of new Tung Sol KT66's which actually sound fantastic in my Regal 2!!
    But that's also using a nos Mullard CV4004 in V1 and nos Mullard CV4024 in V2!

I've read where the Tung Sol KT66's aren't exact copies of the original GEC
    but after breaking in I can say it's fantastic tube in that amp.

19. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've been wondering about these tubes. I do like the JJ EL34. Much more than the E34L. It just has more of a natural EL34 character to my ear. The E34L has too much bottom end and headroom. Works well in some amps but, just not my favorite. Hope to hear some feedback on these EL34 II tubes soon!

20. CDA

CDA Indigenous Donkey

Most of the difference everyone is hearing has to do with the amp they have.

Even a "crummy" EL34 will sound good in a good amplifier. Are there degrees of separation. Yes.

But the circuit and approach to the end result is the majority of the game here..