• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

JJ EL84 vs Tung-sol EL84 tubes

mjse

Just wondering if anybody has replaced their stock JJ's EL84 tubes in there Morgan AC20 deluxe with a set of Tungsol EL84? If so, whats your thoughts?

Last edited:

mjse

Ok let me rephrase my question has anybody replaced there JJ EL84s with Tungsol ?

Last edited:

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I've recently begun replacing all my JJs with Russian NOS 6P14Ps and I'm very happy with the results. Got a killer sounding Vox AC30 (1966) with Tung-sol reissue preamps and 6P14Ps.

mjse

I've recently begun replacing all my JJs with Russian NOS 6P14Ps and I'm very happy with the results. Got a killer sounding Vox AC30 (1966) with Tung-sol reissue preamps and 6P14Ps.
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone else out there have any suggestions?

CDA

Indigenous Donkey
The old stock refelktor Russian tubes are great tubes. Very reliable and take high plate voltages without taking a shite.

The JJ's are a harder vacuum as well compared to the sovtek/EH EL84s out there.

So it really really depends on the need of or the reality of the amplifier the bottles are to be in service with and the desires of the chap playing the fiddle.

If you like a softer feel in the output section, be it cathode biased or grid, the new censor tubes will get you there, if again, the amps designer didn't pull a cute one and run the plates at 400vdc.

If you're running high voltage or improperly designed output stages like in vintage VOX amps, or even current ones, use the old stock Russian tubes. They'll survive longer. Same goes for the Orange craze I see at the shop bi-annually.

Determine the application. Then source a bottle for the job :aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom