JJ Gold Pin 12AX7's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jhc, Oct 9, 2006.

1. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Has anyone tried the new JJ ECC83S or ECC80s Gold Pin tubes? Worth the $20? Better than the Tung Sol reissues?

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I didn't like JJ 12ax7s - their EL84s are killer. I ended up putting Ei Elite golds in and they are great preamp tubes. The GT 12ax7Ms are pretty nice too if you are going for that Marshall tone.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

JJ's are nice tubes. One of my favorite new production. I wouldnt bother paying extra for gold pins though. Im pretty sure other than that they are identical. Tungs Sols are nice too.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Gold pins have absolutely no effect on tone but resist oxidation and provide a more reliable contact than steel pinned tubes.

5. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I agree on the gold pins..what's the use?

So far the JJ ECC83S is the cat's arse in my Soldano, and I've tried most. Two noteables I have not tried are the Tung Sol's and the $50+ NOS tubes...but those never were an option :)

6. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

JJ makes some damn good Vacuum Tubes.

7. thedave

thedave Member

Mike,
    The construction of your sentence leads me to believe you meant to say, "Gold pins have absolutely [no] effect on tone but . . ."

Is that correct?
    thedave

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Thats what I said......and I ended up with over 500 of them....:jo

9. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

yes! Good eye, thanks for catching that.:AOK

10. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Thanks for all the responses

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Another JJ fan here!

12. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Has anyone directly compared the JJs to the Tung-Sol reissues? I was pretty happy when I got rid of my stock Sovteks and replaced them with JJs, but you know how the urge to tweak goes (and I sadly dont have the funds for the holy grail NOS stuff)

13. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Almost everyone I talk to considers the Tung Sol "Reissue" 12AX7s an upgrade from ALL other new production 12AX7s. YMMV.

14. Occam

Occam Member

I used to hate JJ preamp tubes. I love their E34L's and KT77's but I found the preamp tubes harsh and thin but recently I went out on a limb and bought some new ones and I really love them now. I still think that their KT77's are the best tubes going right now for EL34 amps but now I'm also about the preamp tubes.

15. Boogs

Boogs Member

I have in four different amps. Now I don't bother - Tung-Sol always goes in V1, as it just sounds better to my ears. Really sweet high end, and increased clarity over the JJ.

I like the JJ, but I tend to use one rated for higher gain in a V2, or an average-gain one as a reverb driver (for my Goblin, which needs a 12AX7 in this slot). Good tube, just not as good as the Tung-Sol reissue. :)

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I like the way these sound (though they sound nothing like a real Tung Sol). I've had a bunch of em go bad though. The JJ stuff seems to be more robust and longer lasting.

I recently had the good luck to run across some NOS GE 6550's and bought some JJ KT88 so my Builder could set a Bias Circuit to thatn type of tube without shipping my GE's. Anyway long story short I like the sound of the JJ KT88's way more than thge NOS GE 6550's. Those tubes have given me a new thirst for Tubedome.

17. Blueser

Blueser Member

I really don't like JJ 12AX7's or their 6L6's, but I really like their EL34's, 84's and 6V6's alot!

18. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Total zombie thread, but I recently put a JJ Gold in my Kingsley Jouster in V1.
    Smashes the Tung-Sol I had in there.
    More gain, quiet lots of upper mid clarity yet the bass is tight. Very happy with them.

19. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

I got to say JJ's are consistent. I bought an unmodded AC15C1 last month. Stock according to seller. I put some JJ el84's in it today. Amp already had some JJ el84's and 12ax7's installed So someone's done some tube upgrades. New ones sounded identical to the old ones. I thought the amp sounded pretty damn good from the gitgo. Now I have a spare pair of a tubes that don't wear out.

20. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

My experience with Tung Sol's is that they DO affect the basic EQ of an amp with flat settings …
    If you really like the sound of the amp just the way it is …
    No need to even try Tung Sols (IMO). In fact, they might work against you ...

However if there's a kind of brittle, trebly effect you'd like to round off of the top a bit …
    or feel you need to thicken up your midrange slightly … they are just the ticket.

Caution … because if you really like a certain kind of brightness, high end 'snap' you already have in a particular amp…
    Tung Sols might diminish that (then you'll get pissed off you spent so much … lol)