JJ KT77 - Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gearhead, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

I sem to recall there being the first batch of "production" JJ KT77s shipped sometime in the last couple of weeks.

Has anyone had a chance to try them out? If so, results/opinions??

2. redjet55

redjet55 Member

waiting for lord valve to get a batch....

he’s got 100 coming but has no idea when they’ll show up, easier to get them from him since he’s local for me.

3. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Wow, the board's moved fast in a day.

Anyone have any that they'd care to share opinions?

4. stump

stump Member

Nice tube. I'm running them in my THD Flexi and they are close to the originals and a hell of a lot cheaper.

5. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I've not tried any originals like my tube sniffing, glass hoarding buddies Greg and Rick, but these are big a improvement over the 34's I've tried in my Fargen VOS. Better than the Seimens or the JJ 34's IMO. Especially like the way they crunch in the lower registers. The cleans down there are beautiful as well. Very sweet and smooth in the highs. Home Run tube for me. Biased in the low 30 range. Nice note from Bob in the package too about cleaning and retensioning the sockets. Good advice appreciated.
    Thanks Eurotubes!

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Not MORE stuff to ponder buying...:jo

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

He he he he he Must have the precious pretty. :D

I just sent Bob an Email does he have any currently in stock? I'd like to order up a set and try em out.

8. Rahlstin

Rahlstin Member

Just tried a quad in my DSL100 and two blew in the first 5 minutes. Not real pleased.

9. Matt H

Matt H Guest

rahlstin, where'd you get them? (i.e. what vendor?)

10. baron55

baron55 Member

The first batch of KT77's were pulling tons of current on the first batch that came out in late December, they had to be biased as if they were 6L6's. If the first batch was put in most EL34 amps, you couldn't bias them cold enough, in many cases. So possibly in many amps they would pull too much current and blow.

The current batch now pulls the correct bias range for EL34's.

Great tubes.

11. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I just tried a quad in my Fatboy, three channel high gain head. I biased it to 28 max dissipation. I had ElectroHarmonix EL34s in there previously.

When I first turned it on, I immediately noticed they sounded fuller than the EHs. This also made them sound dull. I had to turn up the mids and highs about 25% more than I did with the EHs. The KT77s are a much darker tube.

I wasn't super impressed until I started turning up the volume. The tube as a bolder, thicker punch to them than a normal EL34. It's also more balanced across the frequency range. As people have said, it's smoother, without the harshness in the highs (which you may not even notice until you try these) EL34. They seem to be a winner.