JJ Preamp Tubes In 1955 Bassman

oakmon

Gold Supporting Member
Hello all, I just wanted to share something with all of you.I have a Jan 55 bassman.Ive thought and bought in for years the idea that the old tubes are the way to go.Thats what I usually play in my vintage amps.Recently my tech amp suggested i try a JJ 12AY7 in V2 in my bassman.I noticed a pretty nice tone difference. I Had a NOS 6201 ( 12AY7 ) there before.So, I tried a JJ 12AY7 in V1 and JJ 12AX7 in V3. Big difference.V3 had a good tung sol there.Great tubes, but big tonal difference.New JJ's were smoother and sweeter,and also a lot cheaper .They will stay there.Just wanted to share that with everyone here.I'm not an "old is better snob" but had always thought that the older stuff should be better sounding.Not anymore.Any comments are welcome.

Ultra GP

What did you have in V2 before? Was that also a 12AY7?

JJs seem to be much better in the way of noise and microphonics than most other currently available tubes.

I do think NOS has its place, since certain tubes aren't even produced anymore, or simply aren't built to the spec they claim to be.

You might want to give the JJ E83CC a try in place of the ECC83S at some point, though it might not make a massive difference in V3

TelecasterBlues

Silver Supporting Member
So I quite literally just go straight JJs in EVERY single amp minus my Super Sonic Twin, which gets Groove Tube 6LCGEs, my 5e3 clone which gets all NOS GEs, and my Supro Custom 10 which comes stock with New Sensor tubes/why replace them.

JJs are perfectly fine and usable in anything/everything and for most people are the logical pick for what to go with. NOS is expensive and not always easy to find replacements...go JJ and be happy knowing that you've got a million vendors on speed dial.

DontheMon

I have a 5F1 clone handwired and I put an RCA 12AX7 in for a JJ that was there and not sure if my mind is messing with me but I might put it back. The RCA(s) was a local FB buy for 20 a piece so nbd...is there a break in time on preamp tubes?

oakmon

Gold Supporting Member
What did you have in V2 before? Was that also a 12AY7?

JJs seem to be much better in the way of noise and microphonics than most other currently available tubes.

I do think NOS has its place, since certain tubes aren't even produced anymore, or simply aren't built to the spec they claim to be.

You might want to give the JJ E83CC a try in place of the ECC83S at some point, though it might not make a massive difference in V3
Ultra, I think it was 1950’s GE 12AY7. I think I had an old RCA 12AY7 in V1.