Jjecc83s Vs Jjecc803s

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by nitro, Aug 4, 2006.

1. nitro

nitro Senior Member

Which of these preamp tubes would give me more of a midrange swell the jjecc83s or the jjecc803s.

2. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I'm not going to be able to answer your question, because I've not tried both JJ versions. But I am very curious for an elaboration on "midrange swell" - what's that?? Do you know what frequency ranges of midrange you're interested in?

- T

3. nitro

nitro Senior Member

Listen to VAN HALEN 1 running with the devil thats the midrange iam talking about.

4. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

I haven't listened to that for years, but it is permanently tatooed in my brain, so I've got instant random access to it on my internal iPod. Even so, I'm not sure what exact aspect you're talking about as the bloomin' midrange. I'm not trying to tear you down, though - I just wouldn't know what to say. Reminds me of warm as a descriptor - not specific enough.

It will be worth it for me to give that track another listen - 'bout time for a refresher.

Hope someone else can help. And I'll post back if I have an "ah-HA!" and can recommend another 12AX7 choice.

- T

5. stump

stump Member

I've used both and depending on the amp you are using along with the power tubes, volume you're playing at, speakers, etc. the 803 would give you that VH1 mid range thing. Just remember that Ed used a Phase 90 and other stuff to flavor the tracks. I stopped using the ECC83s after getting the 803s. It has much more depth and clarity in the amps I'm playing. Kinda reminded me of a cross between a Mullard and Telefunken.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Cant say that either (or any) 12AX7 tube will give you more "bloom". That said , ECC83s has a cleaner(less "sizzle,hair"-more "roar"),more rolled off overdriven sound VS the ECC803s which breaks up earlier,has more "hair" and more high end. A combination of these tubes was one of my favorite new stock set ups before taking the plunge into old stock stuff. I had a higher faiulure rate with my ECC803s's though. 2 out of 6 went bad on me in short order. Might have been bad luck though.
    Obviously there is so much involved with getting a particular sound OTHER than tube choice however I think the ECC83s lends itself more in that direction. FWIW-Bob