• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

JJ's Output Tubes

Hello, Gear Page Community. I am new to the community so noone knows me or my views, but, rest assured, I am only here to be helpful. That being said, I am not a tube amp purist, but i appreciate what they offer to my playing and sound. I use my Mesa DC-3, my modded Marshall MA100H, my Gallien-Krueger 250ML, and my Roland Jazz Chorus pretty much equally.

Over the years, based upon my experiences with my tube amps, those of friends and acquaintances, and checking out used gear,.I am starting to view JJ's output tubes with a jaundiced eye. When i have observed amplifier shortcomings, specifically, in used amps, i.peer inside the confines of the amp and ... VOILA ... There they are ... JJ's Output tubes. Has anyone else experienced a situation wherein they are suspicious about their performance in output applications?

for el84s ive used JJs for about 15 yrs and had great results. i also like their 12ax7s in a lot of my amps. ive never had a single JJ fail without years of heavy usage. el84s have short life spans too.

w tubes its more about where you buy your tubes from than the brand. if a retailer is willing to test and sort based on a narrow band of specs youre going to get better quality tubes, regardless of brand. once you address that its just a matter of preference, which brand you like the sound of best in a particular amp.

TB72

I can't say our experiences are similar.

I've not had any issues with JJs tubes.

Tommy_G

I have no use for either of JJs preamp tube offerings. Gross.

However their 6V6 is a very good offering amidst that category.. not comparable to a typical American 6v6 tone but useful nonetheless. To my ear it bends more to the British tonal.camp.. some say it is more 6L6ish because of its bass extension but it sounds nothing like a 6L6... more like toward an EL34.

If an amp is fitted with JJ power tubes it may well be fitted with their preamp tubes also as that would be "new tubes" (at the lowest price) and reliable.. but tonally the preamp tubes is where the problem lays imo.

Calebz

JJ power tubes have been fine for me. The ECC83s and to a lesser extent ECC803s have been terrible and dull in every amp I have used them in.

Tidbit

I've had no issue with JJ tubes at all. Pre or Power. About three years ago my beloved GE 6550's gave up the ghost. I replaced them with JJs. Amp sounded great and it's still going strong.

I find the ECC803 work in amps that are "too bright".

Has anyone else experienced a situation wherein they are suspicious about their performance in output applications?
I’ve only used their 6L6GC and EL84CZ without any issues mechanical or otherwise. It’s been so long since I’ve had an EL84 amp for an extended period of time so I really can’t comment on them other than recalling liking them more than Sovtek and Mesa branded (Shuguang?) in a Night Train 15H. The 6L6GC’s have been used in my Pro Reverb for the majority of the last 20 years and I generally see about 4 years of life with them. My preferred 6L6GC tube of choice for that amp are RCA gray plates because that was the OEM tube of the day and I feel that amp sounds best with those, the JJ’s comparatively are quite similar but with a more subdued high end, slight bump in mids, and lows that aren’t quite as deep. They’re a fine replacement for that amp although after 20 years I’m getting curious about other current brands especially the Tung Sol and Telefunken Black Diamond Series as well as the WGC(-STR) offerings from TAD.

(Sigh) so many tubes, so little money...

VICOwner

Gold Supporting Member
I’ve never had a problem with any JJ tubes. I have done repairs for others that had worn out JJ power tubes. I like their EL84 and 6L6GC. I don’t like the sound of their EL34’s. Their preamp tubes are just like described earlier.

:horse

Care to enumerate the specific shortcomings that you attribute to JJ tubes?

If not, why should anyone pay attention to your views. JJ pro/con threads are nothing new here. Do a search. And yes. I use JJ pre and power tubes in all my amps.
:facepalm Chill out dude, he’s new. TGP is seeing new blood all the time so there’s always new perspectives on the same old topics and some of those threads are so old that the info might not apply currently. Seriously, how many threads are there here in amps and cabs alone on DRRI’s? Talk about a dead horse.

Oinkus

I fried a few with a badly repaired broken amp but otherwise have had no problems with any JJs. I get them from Eurotubes so they are tested , have bought about every tube they make too.

oneblackened

Nah, I like JJs. They're built overall pretty well and they sound pretty good. Besides, until you get into overdrive territory, a negative feedback look does a pretty good job of normalizing away the power tube differences.

amstrtatnut

I like their 6v6 tubes.

Not big on their 12ax7s. Seem a bit dull.

Had issues with a set of 6l6. It seems that the pins were smaller and didnt make good contact, thereby my amp stopped working at a gig.

Have their el34s in my current amp and they seem fine.

sickboy79

I like JJ EL34s (not to be confused with the E34L), 7591s, and their EL84s for new production stuff. I find the short plate ECC83 dull and lifeless in some amps but, also a great way to tame an overly bright amp. So, it has it's applications. Buy from a good tube vendor as well.

JJ outputs: breaks up soon and in an edgy fashion, overbuilt so will last a good while, built to electrical specs and not modeled to sound like a classic or anywhere near and not very refined sounding.

If this is what you're looking for it's one heck of a good deal.

sideman

For most of the last decade I've been using JJ 6v6 in a 1957 Fender 5E3 and a Tungsten Crema Wheat. They are reliable at the gig and sound good.

OP essentially stated that JJ tubes were the cause of every amp problem he has ever seen. That is not helpful and I doubt it is true.
Agreed, he’s clearly conflating his dislike for what he’s hearing with what he’s seeing in the back which as we both know is only one factor. But his question isn’t why do JJ suck, the question is what is our experience. I just don’t understand why people feel the need to choose to crap on a thread or OP because they’re “tired” of the same old topics when they easily could’ve chosen not to enter in the first place.

You think the search function is his friend, I think the ignore function is yours. He’s been here for one day, you’ve been here for 9.5 years, what’s your excuse?

I gave up on the JJ EL84s after getting a bad tube in 3 or 4 quads. (May have been the seller not testing), but I really like the regular JJ EL34s and the 6L6GCs I have used.

jazzguitarfan

Nope. Great success with the EL84s in my Maz JR. I have noticed that their 6V6s change the character of the amp, but in my old Princeton Reverb, it was a noticeable improvement and I could actually gig with it.

Trending Topics