JM Rolph or Duncan Antiquity???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jasonlee77, Aug 20, 2008.

1. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member

Which one sound more close to the original les paul old PAF pickup??? :confused:

Thx!!

2. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

This being The Gear Page and all...
    I think that the most expensive one is going to be the best.

3. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I've been thru a ton of both.

Antiquity's. They're damn good. There are boutique winders whose PU's I like better, but of those 2, I'm gonna say the big A.

Jim's stuff is very good, but I've never thought his neck PU was as great as his bridge. And the bridge PU's do vary. You might get lucky and get a great set. But I'd say the odds are more in your favor with the Antiquity's.

One man's opinion.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think the Ants are top notch hums. I like old school tones and they always provide. Presently not using anything needing a paf vibe but every Gibson I've had usually gets a makeover with Duncan Antiquities. I have never tried Rolph hums but have owned the burstbuckers, 57's, seth lovers, different fralins, lollars, voodoo 59's and like the Antiquity most. I'd probably be buying the Voodoo's but they aren't as easy to get. I'm pretty stomped with WCR's but I've only tried them in other people's guitars, never purchased. Hat's off to all these makers for putting up such wonderful options. The WCR betset sounds really special!

5. SBlue

SBlue Silver Supporting Member

I've left alone all my old guitars that has original pu's and sounds beyond perfect. Everything else got Rolph's in them. So, you can say I do like them better than anything else in the market... including Antiquitys.
    SBlue

6. KTT

KTT Member

My opinion too..i havent tried the jm rolph but ive had seymour 59s(nice) ,jeff becks(not for me)suhr DA(poor IMO) burstbuckers(nice!) and currently the Antiquity and there WAY above the rest

I have Sheptones on the way,i cant wait to try those! but for now the ants smoke eveything..for me its not about PAF this and that, its about what SOUNDS best and the ants sound best to me right now;)

7. KTT

KTT Member

What pickups do you like better than the ants? thanks!

8. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Ants are tops all the way, I dropped a set in my R8 and never looked back! I like most of the PAF style Duncans but the Ants are special for sure.

9. dr.barlo

dr.barlo Member

I was lucky to get Jim wind me a set of EdA's PAF clones, which them Timbuckers (wound by Tim White, and actually he stopped doing those as far as I know) are also based on. I also have 2 sets of those Timbuckers. Those Rolphs are in my r7 and a set of timbuckers in my r8.

I went through tons of PAF clones, all of duncan's PAF clones from his mass production (and think that Pearly Gates are great pickups, the best non custom shop PAF clones out there), some of the DiMarzio's (virtual PAFs were cool), duncan ants, duncan ants with magnet swaps (a-a5; a5 in the bridge and either the stock degaussed a2 or a full strength a3 in the neck are great), voodoo 59s, WCR fillmores, (I am forgetting some...) Fralins, Holmes 455's (those with a4s)...

The thing is that there is not a single "PAF tone"! There is that thick ~8.50K a5 PAF tone of Duaney's Fillmore work, or the Pearly tone, or the Greeney tone... Or even Clapton's Beano tone which is the basis for Florance's 59's.

And then there is the fact that not every pickup would sound good in your guitar. If the wood is not right, actually I would not even bother. But if it is good, then...

My humble advice would be: Try them (as I have done) in your guitar. And it is actually fun. What matters is to find the one which is the ideal match for what you are after and the wood of your guitar (and the other parts of your setup).

And regarding those Rolphs: He winds excellent pickups. I have sold all those mentioned above, with the exception of Rolphs, Timbuckers, and a Duncan Custom Shop bucker called the Brobucker (a 10K PAF clone).

Good luck.

B

10. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

I've tried them all and the Antiquity's do it for me...especially the neck position. :)

11. voodoovox

voodoovox Member

Very pleased with the Rolphs installed in my R8, 7.67 & 7.87, neck & bridge sound great in the middle position.

12. gregory49

gregory49 Member

I've heard great stuff about Jims work. But I'd say you'll be pleased with either. There's always better though.

13. fast ricky love

Well... since you asked!

My absolute favorite pickups are pat sticker T-Tops. I think they don't get the praise they deserve because they get confused with later era T-Tops (stamped pat number) which aren't as good.

OR Wolfetone Legends or Marshallheads w/A2's.

AND Tom Holmes. Tho' very pricey.

Rolphs are nice, they just never sang in my guitars the way the above do. I really like Antiquity's a lot - the neck PU is flawless! I just wish the bridge had a bit more meat, the tone is excellent, but I've always found the bridge to be on the thin side.

Hey again, one man's opinion. But I've been thru SO many pickups, and the ones I've cited above as my favs ALWAYS work regardless of the guitar.

14. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

****If I understood the conversation I had with Rolph correctly***

Rolph likes the neck pickup wound hotter than the bridge. That way by rolling the volume back, you get a less muddy neck tone with the volume equaling that of the bridge on full.

He did a set of PAFs for me, all I can say is I like them. I also keep my neck volume on about 6 and the bridge anywhere from 8-10.

15. KTT

KTT Member

Great info thanks!

What are "pat sticker T tops"?

Seems i like A2 mags too,my fav were the burst buckers and far more so.. the ants..

I forgot to mention on my last list of pickups i have tried that i had Bare Knuckle mules in my guitar for a long time but they sounded very "thin"

I personally like a very "bright" neck pickup with a THICKER sounding bridge

I did look at WCR but too much $ for me,Jim was great to talk to

I have the Sheptones on the way,i have asked shep to underwind the neck PU for a brighter tone,anyone tried the Sheptones? opinions?

16. fast ricky love

Pat sticker T-Tops are Gibson PU's made from I think '65 - '74 roughly. They have a 'Pat. Applied For' sticker on the bottom.

A2's are very much my favorite. The T-Tops I mentioned have degaussed A5's which are similar.

WCR's are cool, but Jim winds exclusively with A5's which I don't like.

Never tried the Shep's, but they are A5's too, so not sure that's what you'd want.

17. KTT

KTT Member

Thanks for the info again

Nope! Shep is doing A2 for me,Sheps personal fav is A2 too!;)

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Which humbucker is that? New model?

19. cryptozoo

cryptozoo Member

Yo Fast Ricky, you might already know this, but Jim has a variety of mags you can get. I did some experimenting with A5 / A2 swapping and got some interesting results in a Goodwood bridge.

20. fast ricky love

True. But since his original formula is A5, I expect that to be the best case scenario. I could be totally wrong there!