jmi AC10 vs vox ac4hw

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sixstringsteve, Mar 7, 2015.

1. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

I'm trying to decide between a modern jmi AC10 and a vox ac4hw. I've played the vox and it was plenty loud for my needs.

Does anyone have any experience with a jmi AC10 twin? Is it going to be significantly louder than the ac4hw? I understand it has double the power section, but I'd really like to hear from someone who has played one.

I want edge of breakup tones at bedroom volumes (or slightly louder). I've tried so many vox style amps, these seem like my last options that I haven't tried yet.

I play a low output tele, and I like tones on the edge of breakup, which usually means pretty loud volumes.

will a jmi ac10 get me closer to the volume of an AC15, or an ac4hw?

2. Palladio

Palladio Member

I haven't played a JMI, but I've played other vintage and modern Vox AC10 type circuits. I wouldn't say that any of them would do edge of breakup at "bedroom" volumes, at least not without using a master volume control to the point that it kind of killed the whole sound and response of the amp.

For what you're after, my favorite amp is the Morgan AC-15 Deluxe. It has a power scaling feature that works very well IMO. Great sound at low volumes.

3. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

Good feedback. I had a Morgan ac10 clone and it wasn't very voxy, but the volume Was Usable. I'm very familiar with the ac4hw's volume. I'm guessing the jmi will be considerably louder, with 2 efficient alnico speakers.

4. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Oh my partner in crime (low wattage lightweight voxy mate), still on the hunt i see...

The ac4hw just did nothing for me as i got no cleans out of it. I had a better/louder/cleaner tone out of the Pathy...

Does the JMI have a master volume?

Keep us posted!

5. Palladio

Palladio Member

The JMI's I've seen in person did not have master volume. Their controls were laid out exactly like a '60's Vox. So yeah, an AC10 Twin without a master is going to be quite loud by the time you're into breakup.

6. sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Member

Yeah, no mv on the jmi Im looking at. master volumes kill vox amps. The only exception I've found is a 65 amps Lil elvis, but it was a little too modern sounding to me. Killer mv though.

I'm a big fan of the ac4hw, I will probably go that route.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015