1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

JMI Supafuzz (or alternative?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ruger9, May 21, 2011.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I heard a guy playing a tele thru a Deluxe Reverb (on about 6 or 7), occassinaly using a JMI Supafuzz and it's one of the best fuzzes I've ever heard.

It's expensive, I see some people tout the Throbak Stone Bender as a nice "clone" (of the old MkII, which if I understand it, is what the SP is), any others I should be taking a look at?

ALSO- interestingly, this guy also did NOT leave the SP in the chain when he wasn't using it... before each song he was going to use it on, he put it in line, then removed it afterwards, going straight into the amp. The SP was the only effect he used all night (besides the onboard reverb & trem).

2. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

As to the unplugging it, no idea why it does not suck tone, sounds like he was a real purest. I have one and it a great Fuzz. It is not exactly a MKII and the word is they also used the wrong circut, one of the caps was off IRCC. In the end it sounds great. Had the Stonebender, very flexible tones but never did it for me. I have a Soul Bender , JMI MKII and the SUPAFUZZ. Fulltone is redoing the TB so that may be a good spot to start.

3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

You mean the Soul bender, right? Thought that was a MkIII?

4. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I just realized, the Retro-Channel THE FUZZ is a MkII. That was the next fuzz I was going to buy anyway! Funny I heard the Retro-Channel, loved it, planning to buy it, then heard the JMI, loved it, and wondered what else sounds like that.

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

FWIW, the JMI earliest JMI Supa Fuzz pedals sound rather different when compared to a MK II due to the bias being a little off...I actually like it and even thought the chaps at JMI offered to "fix" mine I kept it as-is!

I have no yet found another Bender that sounds like my JMI Supa and for sure not the Soul Bender or the sTone Bender...those are just a differnet kind of thing all together....

6. warioblast

warioblast Member

7. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Just to clarify, this guy was playing a JMI Supafuzz, which is a MkII clone... RIGHT? We're talking MII's only here...(and clones)

8. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

You wanna SupaFuzz?
    My suggestion is the JMI, if that won't work email Creepy Fingers or Skinpimp.

Throbak won't do, Fulltone won't do, MKII or MKIII is just a little different, but that difference is what makes it a SupaFuzz.

Best of luck!!

9. MadFrank

MadFrank Supporting Member

Both Williams Audio and Castledine make a pretty acurate SupaFuzz as part of their standard lines. I've been intrested in this one myself as it's in the MK.2 vein, but not as dark supposedly, and with good articulation. And I Love Townsend's late 60's tone!

10. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

The Castledine Supa MKI is a clone of the earliest Supa Fuzz circuit, which is a variation of the MKI.

There were at least a few variations of the Supa Fuzz. The version JMI incorrectly cloned, has larger cap values making for less high end and more low end.

Earlier versions are essentially a MKII in a different enclosure.

Creepy Fingers or Williams would be my recommendation if you don't want to spend an arm and a leg or have to wait for a considerable amount of time.

The Vintage Pedal Workshop Supa Fuzz sounds nice in the video demos. Made by the guy who used to make the JMI pedals and I believe their Vox clones.

The Supa Fuzz is true bypass BTW.

11. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

So far, I've looked at all the recc's, and am leaning towards the Retro-Channel THE FUZZ... the demo sounds most like what I heard, it's based on the MkII, and the "less high end" is exactly what I'm after in a fuzz... until now, my favorite fuzz has been the Keeley Fuzzhead. I love it, but can have too much low end, even swapping the caps. The demo for THE FUZZ sounds like exactly what I heard/what I'm after, the price can't be beat, and it's suppose to be "stable" at different temps. IDK how they achieved that, digital or what, but if the tone is there, it's there.

FWIW, I played a Retro-Channel RR1 this past week, and while it sounded great for a SS amp, I would never dump my tube amps for one. I certainly couldn't make it sound as good as Lance did! (It was running thru an unknown cab/speaker, so....)

12. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I imagine the stability comes from silicon transistors, and if that is the case is I would also have to recommend the Basic Audio Scarab Deluxe. I can make it sound almost exactly like my JMI SupaFuzz.

If you do pick up the retro fuzz, let us hear a clip.

13. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I ordered a Tone Bender MKI from JMI a year and a half ago that I never received...

14. Panacea

Panacea Member

...which will not give you accurate MkII sounds, or MkI for that matter.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

bump for more info...

FWIW, the Retro Fuzz doesn't say WHAT is inside. Just a "circuit". But I can't deny Lance's demo sounds great, and certainly the most JMI Supa-fuzz-LIKE that I have heard, at least in demos. Actually, the demos of the JMI I heard don't sound as much like the ACTUAL JMI I heard, live, as does the Throbak and Retro.

16. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

tonebenders are probably the most sensitive fuzzes out there. you will need to learn the secrets of that guitar player to be able to get fuzzes to sing like he did!

17. amp boy

amp boy Member

i think i read on here in a post by Lance that the Retro fuzz is of a SI MKII variety.

18. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I don't agree. MKIIs have boatloads of sustain and bloom at gig volumes. Fuzz Faces are far more temperamental and sensitive than MKIIs.

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  19. nightraven

nightraven Senior Member

i don't mean sensitive to temperature or differences between units - i mean sensitive to playing style. tone being in the fingers and such :horse

20. wichita

wichita Member

Our fuzz has tons of gain.. if you can't get it to sustain your amp is off.. :)